New
Find
Notify
Tools

Power Pistol?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone use this powder? in what calibers? Results? It seems like a high velocity powder but I don't know about accuracy results. I just bought a pound for use in my 9x21 and 38 Super, but was wondering about other applications.
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ah - loading manual?? Roll Eyes

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Too often reloadig manuals don't evauate every powderon the market. Fortunately the powder maker generaly does.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/r...wder.aspx?powderid=8

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I've tried it in 10mm and 38Super. Not enought to say Yes or No yet. I does make a nice fireball.

I prefer WAP (silhouette).

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butchloc:
quote:
I don't know about accuracy results
Enough said?
richj I too have seen loads for the 10mm for PP. Fireball to me means unburnt powder does it not?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using it for 9mm with 115g plinking ammo (plated bullets in G19). It seems to be a medimum burn rate pisto powder. It may not be the best for light loads like wadcutters in 38sp, but for moderate loads in higher power calilbers it looks like a good fit.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found PowerPistol to be an excellent powder in high pressure rounds such as the 9mm Parabellum and 40S&W, however it didn't work worth a darn in the 45ACP. It burns clean and the accuracy in the two aforementioned cartridges is stellar.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. I will try PP in the 40 and 10mm first, then the 9mm.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've used it with a lot of success in the 9mm and 40 S&W with clean burns, high velocities and great accuracy.

It is my go to powder in those calibers, but I have tried it in any others......yet.

I would highly recommend it for the high end velocities.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TEANCUM, perhaps you could PM me some of your accurate 9mn loads using PP? I have a variety of jacketed bullets ranging from 115 through 123 to 147 grain.
Thanks, Peter

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
In a 1911:

38 Super
125gr HAP (Hornady) .356dia - (good accuracy for the 38s)
Power Pistol - 7gr. (7.8 is max, sierra book)

unburned powder - large flash - accuracy is good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
richj, thanks for the load suggestion. I already have "go to" loads for the 38 super which gives me excellent accuracy in both of my guns. However I will try yours as well.
In the mean time I just tried 6.0 grains Power Pistol and a 121 gr. JHP with pretty good results. I did not chrono them but they were not wimpy loads. Accuracy was pretty good but not amazing. Still, a good place to start.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
10mm 5"

180JHP Montana Gold,
8.5 gr Power Pistol.

Very good accuracy. still a bit of a fireball.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richj, I have used only 200's in my 10mm, but I do have a supply of 180's that I use in my 40. I will give your load a shot (pun intended)!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter, I have used Power Pistol in 9, 40, 45ACP, and 357 for the last 10 years and I love it. I do get a big flash when shooting in low light - so what.

Posts: 428 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 05 June 2008Reply With Quote