New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a new .45.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of getting myself a .45 for Christmas. This would be my first .45. Over the past couple months, I've shot H&K, Sigs and Kimbers, and liked them all. I prefer the single stack (7 or 8 bullet clips) pistols, over the high capacity pistols.

I'd like to keep it under $1500.

Any suggestions??

Thanks for the help.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
from reviews from other local shooters if i were in the market for a 45 and liked the 1911 platform i would take a look at sti. also for that price range you could look at the colts i have a para ltc 1911 that i picked up for a deal and have been very happy with it at this point.

i know several people that are 100% h&k and will shoot nothing else. as for the sigs i have read that the newer ones are not what they used to be and the same for the kimbers seems there qc is not up to par lately.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Kimber Custom Stainless for 9 yrs now. Added Hogue wrap-around grips. Put about 15,000 rds through it [only replaced a broken disconector about 2 yrs ago, and a new recoil spring by choice]. Excellent trigger, and wonderfully accurate with just about any ammo, but it's astonishingly good with 190gn Lee SWCs. These seem to be going for $800.00 +/-, so you'll have enough left over for more Christmas presents.

Albatross.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas Blue Devil,

In your price range, I would take a good look at the Dan Wesson line. They are fairly uncommon and hard to find. My Dan Wesson makes my 10 yo Kimber Gold Match look like chinese made garbage. I think Dan Wesson is the undiscovered gem of the .45 world.

Alternatively, the company STI is based out of your home state, and makes some darn fine 1911's in that price range.

You may also be able to get a Wilson in that price range which makes a fine pistol.

In that price range, please avoid Colt/Kimber. You can pay that much, but all you get is the same garbage craftsmanship at a higher price modified to comply with California law.

Wes

Posts: 213 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
My experience is limited on 1911 style frames, but I love my Kimber. I have a Classic II that I bought new in 2000, and have shot thousands of rounds through it. Haven't had many problems with it at all.

I also have a Springfield Champion (four in barrel), and it is a noticable step down in quality. Good gun, but not as accurate as the Kimber or as finished.

Seen a few Wessons, and they are good pistols. Les Bear makes a very fine pistol, but is very expensive also. Seen a few around here (twenty miles from his shop) for under $1500.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have long lost track of how many 45's i have, but my favorites are coming from springfield, dan wesson, or possible the WWI commerative from colt

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a Colt current production. Many models to choose.

Srpngfield also has a few to pick from.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have a Paraordinance P-1445 that I put about $600 into aftermarket parts along the way. I've heard some of the Paraordinance products had some problems in functioning in the early models yet mine is an early model. Perhaps the work that was done on it solved any problems from the factory.

Absolutely love it for it's accuracy and would never sell it.
tu2

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are determined to purchase a 1911-style pistol don't overlook the SIG-Sauer P220. Single stack .45, well within your price range, extremely well made and very accurate.

No one loves the 1911 design more than I do, but the P220 really impresses me.

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Well, if we are going that way, I love the S&W M&P 45 compact model... Great carry gun, and extremely accurate.

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Dave said. I love my Sig P220 Elite dark. Its single stack 8+1, and its the most accurate out of the box .45 semi auto I have shot. Also check out the P220 Combat model, another nice rig.

http://www.sigsauer.com/produc...ryid=6&productid=264

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Albatross:
I've had a Kimber Custom Stainless for 9 yrs now. Added Hogue wrap-around grips. Put about 15,000 rds through it [only replaced a broken disconector about 2 yrs ago, and a new recoil spring by choice]. Excellent trigger, and wonderfully accurate with just about any ammo, but it's astonishingly good with 190gn Lee SWCs. These seem to be going for $800.00 +/-, so you'll have enough left over for more Christmas presents.

Albatross.

If you have ony replaced your spring once in 15000 rnds, you are severely abusing a gun that has apparently served you well.
Wink

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck1911:
quote:
Originally posted by Albatross:

Albatross.

If you have ony replaced your spring once in 15000 rnds, you are severely abusing a gun that has apparently served you well.
Wink

I shoot mostly middling target loads with cast bullets. It's accurate with all styles of bullet. In fact, I've only put 50 factory rounds through the gun in all these years. I do have a recoil buffer. Why "severely abusing"? The slide to frame fit feels as tight as day one. From a rest it puts 5 rounds into a whole less than 1.25" from center to center.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
A 1911, even with light target loads, should have the recoil and firing pin springs replaced every 2000-2500 rnds.

Springs fatigue and then stresses are imparted to the frame under full recoil.
Everything could appear fine....until its not.
Usually the dustcover cracks.

Incidently, springs have nothing to do with accuracy in properly fit guns. Kimber has done that pretty well for a while.

Your shok buff could also disintegrate and tie your gun up.

Springs are cheap,as are shok buffs. both should be replaced regularly.

Wink

CW

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
i have long lost track of how many 45's i have, but my favorites are coming from springfield, dan wesson, or possible the WWI commerative from colt

I really like whats coming out of Colt lately.
I look forward to having my way with one of those WW 1 guns

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

one of us
posted Hide Post
COLT Cool
nough said.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Depend on what you what to use it for.

If you want a highly accurate pistol that can be the basis for any future upgrade. Get a Colt or a high quality variant. If you what something like a duty pistol an HK USP, or HK 45 would be my first choice. Same controls give or take as a 1911 but has DA and a few extra rounds. I know you said you didn't what a Hi cap pistol. Well that all that HK makes. In a 1911 I'd go Colt first then Kimber and then Springfield

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
For the money you should look at the Remington R1. I really love mine and it is more accurate than my Springfield or the 2 Colts I have. I have an Auto Ordnance and it is way more accurate that it is. Good thing is it is made and assembled in the US if that matters to you.

Steve E...........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1837 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another very happy SIG 220 owner here. Mine is a LE version and I am planning on getting Crimson Trace grips to go with it.

I am all for made in the USA, but I really do like my SIG.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last 45 ACP I bought was a Springfield XD 5" "Tactical" with the combo mag option. Short mag 10 rd for "compact" and full mag 14 rd. for full-size. I put a Glock GTL 21 laser on it. Pretty much replaces the 12 gauge Rem. 870 in the truck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with KCScott.

Over on Reloading someone asked the same a few weeks ago and you can go find the posts. Colt has really come around and has been making some top products for a couple of years. And their fit and finish is tops again as is their factory service. You could not say that 5 years or 10 years ago.

If you want a personal defense 45 or service HK USP.

If you want one to grind up thousands of rounds and have upgrade and modification potential then Colt.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:
For the money you should look at the Remington R1. I really love mine and it is more accurate than my Springfield or the 2 Colts I have. I have an Auto Ordnance and it is way more accurate that it is. Good thing is it is made and assembled in the US if that matters to you.

Steve E...........

From everything I have read and heard about these Remingtons, one of them would be my choice for a good all around 1911. In the recent American Rifleman, I believe it was, the Remington shot better than the STI they also tested.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve E.:

I have only heard good things about the new Rem 1911, plus they are made in the USA

Steve E...........

From everything I have read and heard about these Remingtons, one of them would be my choice for a good all around 1911. In the recent American Rifleman, I believe it was, the Remington shot better than the STI they also tested.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a loaded SS Springfield Champion but would consider a S&W Night Guard or Thunder Ranch revolver. My auto is very accurate but I think the revolvers are more so.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote