Find
Notify
Tools

Any SIG 226s out there?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
Any of you AR men use a 226? If so, how do you like them? Problems?

Compared to a Glock?

Looking for opinions . . . Thanks

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 226 many, many years ago ... maybe 25 if my memory serves me correctly. This year we finally had it fail. The right receiver rail cracked. The pistol had 30+ thousand rounds through it! We replaced it with a 228 so the kids could practice with what they carry in a war zone.

I have absolutely NO complaints about the pistol's performance over the years. Only other pistol we've ever had that made it that far was a 1911-based race gun.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
If you like a DA autoloader, then it's fine. Accuracy is very good when firing it in SA mode. For pure functionability, I'd get the Glock since it's made to operate w/o cleaning if one drops it in the mud and dirt. I don't advise that. Glocks can go around 40-50K rounds.

Used to be 475Guy add about 2000 more posts

Posts: 245 | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a P228, basically just like the 226 but shorter grip and barrel/slide.
I use mine for IDAP style shooting and it's great.
Never had a malfunction in the ~5-7000 rounds I've shot.
Ergonomics are pretty good, I just wish it didn't have the hump where the deckocker is. I hate the grip angle of Glocks.

Some don't like Sigs because of the high bore axis, but it's never hindered my ability to shoot fast with it.

The DA pull isn't bad and the SA is real nice, but with quite a bit of trigger reset and pretravel.
Glock trigger resets are shorter and you don't have to get used to the DA first shot...however I prefer the crisp break of a Sig trigger over the striker fired Glocks.

As with all autos, change out the recoil springs regularly.
That could help prevent frame cracking.

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
The problem that most tyros have when they first handle a Glock is that they grip it way too damn low. This is especially the case when one is used to shooting other autoloaders which have a better grip angle. The secret in using a Glock is to jam the web of your hand up as far as it will go into the tang w/o getting slide-bit. This changes the angle of the Glock and it won't point waaaaay high when you index it and get your sight picture.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm far from a tyro.

I also shoot a 1911 and use a high grip.
Glocks still don't fit me as nicely as Sigs or 1911s.

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Glocks usually don't fit a lot of folks' hands. If you don't put in at least a couple of thousand rnds through one, it does feel kinda weird.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, but if you need to put a couple thousand rounds through a gun before it feels ok then maybe it wasn't a good fit to start with...

One of Us
Picture of 475Guy1
posted Hide Post
Tha's not what I meant, you shoot that much with one handed to you when having to qualify and run around with one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'd imagine you'd be get real good at shooting just about any gun if it was given to you as a duty weapon...at least I hope you would Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a P226 and loved it - absolutely loved it. However, I prefer Glocks for robustness and reliability.

The range where I used to shoot had a G17 rental gun. I was there when they packed it up to go to Glock for it's 250,000 round inspection. Still had the original barrel and all major parts as they had come from the factory. I'm disappointed to hear that a P226 would fail with a tenth of that use. For pure feel and performance though, I'd take the P226.

Posts: 68 | Location: Dayton, OH USA | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ferdinandd:
I shot a P226 and loved it - absolutely loved it. However, I prefer Glocks for robustness and reliability.

The range where I used to shoot had a G17 rental gun. I was there when they packed it up to go to Glock for it's 250,000 round inspection. Still had the original barrel and all major parts as they had come from the factory. I'm disappointed to hear that a P226 would fail with a tenth of that use. For pure feel and performance though, I'd take the P226.

It may have been fed a steady diet of +P+
Failure to change springs could be a factor

Posts: 56912 | Location: GUNSHINE STATE | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ferdinandd:
I'm disappointed to hear that a P226 would fail with a tenth of that use. For pure feel and performance though, I'd take the P226.

SIG has fixed that "rail cracking" problem in the newer P226s.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 with the 357 Sig and the 40 S&W barrels and love it. I have many handguns and if forced to coose one centerfire it would be the 226 in a 40. I had the trigger worked on and actually went out and sighted it in and have been impressed with the accuracy since buying it.

I handload for it and have a 155 grain slug moving out at 1325fps using Power Pistol for the powder. I took a small Idaho mule deer with it and would not part with it .....ever.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys,

Still have not decided . . .

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 226 in 9mm and a 229 in 40S&W with a 357Sig barrel. Both have been flawless since day one. Frankly I don't know what's not to like about them.

I can't compare them to a Glock because I don't own one. They just don't fit my hand.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I took two pistols to the range yesterday.

G17 and 226.

I like them both. The Sig will become the nightstand pistol after I buy a light for it.

Cant go wrong with either. Pick the one you shoot best. Or even better, get both.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sigs are just as reliable as glocks. sig 226's are used by seals i beleive they are the m11 pistol. they like them cause there smaller than the beretta. texas rangers also exclusively use sig pistols, i beleive in 45 cal.if you wanted to be real cheap ive seen sig knock-offs sold by charles daily on gun broker. i know his 1911s and hi-powers are fairly good guns. 350 dollars new might be better than 5 or 600 for a glock or 6-700 for a real sig. might be worth a look.

Posts: 165 | Location: michigan | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have 2 friends with the 226 and they love them i've shot and will buy a sig with both 357sig and 40 as far as glock i have yet too shoot one but i know they are reliable

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glock. Yank and crank pistol; chosen by way more police departments than the SIG. No contest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah glock practically gives thier model 22 in 40 cal away to police departments. im sure if sig lowered their prices cops would flock to them. just as reliable in a much more attracive package. i always thought it was funny how sig was branded as carried by the texas rangers. but in the show walker, he carried a silver beretta.

Posts: 165 | Location: michigan | Registered: 06 August 2007Reply With Quote