THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM PISTOL SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Pistol Shooting    What would happen...................

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What would happen...................
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted
............ if you fired a .40 S&W round in an auto chambered for 10mm??

I'm half embarassed that I don't know. It's going to go bang. But what does the excessive headspace on the casemouth do or cause??

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you ought to email Guns and Ammo TV and see if they will do it on the torture test segment!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lower velocity and a very dirty chamber. Other than that, not much.

Accuracy is a bit less, but the big thing is reliability- the headspace is being maintained by the extractor, which works most of the time with most guns.

The combination of dirty chambers and extractor headspace made a really reliable 10mm into a so-so 40 S&W.

I tried this in IPSC because a bunch of low- lifes would pick up my 10 mm brass and I could hear them say that the brass was worth a lot, and they had a friend or relative with a 10mm so lets give this to them....

Posts: 10977 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pretty much what charles says, rmember the s&w 610? it was a revolver chamber for 10mm with moon clips to shoot 40's in.. at least with mine the 40's leave a dirty chamber that has to be cleaned before loading 10mm's

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight fellers.

I guess my main reason for asking is that I have both a 10mm and a pair of .40's. Always wondered if the chips were down and I had to run some .40's through the 10 if it would be a workable plan, short term.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have you considered fitting spare barrels in them to allow shooting both?
Once upon a time I owned a Colt 10/40. Same two barrel set up.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote