posted
On large game, which is better?

Question:
On large game, which is better?

Choices:
.454 .300 grains, jacketed flat point, 1625fps
.454 .260 grains, 1800fps
.58 .405 grains, 1200fps

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

Posts: 273 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H.C.
posted Hide Post
Umm, Pistol Calibers? Confused

So Many Guns, So Little Time!

Posts: 61 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gentleman Jack
posted Hide Post
LOL, sorry was in a hurry...

"There are creatures here that cannot even be found in books, and I have killed them all......"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pistol, for stopping a fight with large game? In the 454 Casull I'd go with the slower heavy, but I'd be inclined to an even heavier bullet given a choice. I'd be pleased to see a .58 caliber pistol starting a 405 @ 1200. About the closest to it would be the lamentably discontinued T/C Scout pistol in .54 caliber, but using a single-shot single-action BP pistol as a backup is a pretty interesting proposition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have a german gunsmith creating a nice, BUT VERY COSTLY, .58 cal revolver. I am a mad man with no baggage, lol!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a german gunsmith creating a nice, BUT VERY COSTLY, .58 cal revolver.
You mean something like this? http://www.firearmsmuseum.org.au/Survey/images-577.htm Then you have answered your own question. Now all you have to do is arrange for your primary rifle to fail at the right moment so you can use your stopping pistol in high style. So, what are you using for cases, shortened 577 or 600 NE perhaps? Have you arranged for your sporting use exemption from the ATFE or are you paying the destructive device tax? Some day I want to be a mad man with no baggage...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly my friend, it has its costs. Be careful what you wish for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly my friend, it has its costs. Be careful what you wish for.
Well and truly said, but some are mad men with baggage...

So, how are you licensing this beauty? How are you making cases? Who is making your bullet mold?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, but I too am needing a little help in the proper pistol and bullet weight for a hunt I plan to go on in 2010.

I would like to know, (don't wish to highjack this thread by any means) but don't seem to be able to post on this forum with a new topic.

So does anybody out there have the ballistics and what are your thoughts on the 460 XVR Smith & Wesson pistol. Thank You

Posts: 60 | Location: Columbia, MO. | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote