Find
Notify
Tools

Dan Wesson revolvers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys!
What is your opinion of the older Dan Wesson .22LR revolvers? Are they decent firearms, or..?
Thank you for your answers, I appreciate it.
Brittman

one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on what year the ones I am familiar with were junk IMHO.

Rough chambers ect.

Others might have different experiences

Posts: 19576 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know only the early 357s.
Rough chambers, and rough hammer strut, I remember .No excuse for that .For a good DA trigger you had to do lots of work on the strut as the strut looked like a coarse screw thread !!
The " combat grip " could block extraction of one of the empty cases !!
Things to work out. Later the company tested it's 44mag .They were going to shoot it apart to check durability .You could examine, handle and even shoot it !!! And also talk to the company Pres !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 DW revolvers. Very early 3 digit 44V, 357 Max (Supermag), and a 22 VH. They required some tinkering, but their accuracy made them worthwhile. FWIW - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brittman:
Hi guys!
What is your opinion of the older Dan Wesson .22LR revolvers? Are they decent firearms, or..?
Thank you for your answers, I appreciate it.
Brittman

I had a blue 8" 22 Dan Wesson looked like someone tried to tap the inside of the cylinder where the bullets fit in took it back to the gun show sold it back to the person I bought it from.
I did buy a nice Stainless Steel 22 with a 10" barrel with a Ram on it.
The only way I could get the cylinder to rotate was by cocking the hammer with my thumb.
I asked Dan Wesson about this he said it was made that way. I purchased the internal parts to make it into a double action it is one accurate pistol with nice a cylinder.
If you are going to buy one check it out first my blue DW spit lead terrible.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swede44m
ag,

I saw a S&W M 18 awhile ago that had dents in the rear of the cylinder. I put it down right away and walked away!

My DW .22 is 6" blued model, and doesn't spit lead. It is very accurate, and hard to find one. Great trigger!

Thanks for your reply.

Brittman

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I have a 6" heavy shroud 22lr that is nearly revolver perfection. Once had a 4" 357 that was as good. The only 22 revolver I owned any better was a 4" Colt Diamondback. I'm sure there are others but that's my experience.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote