New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 Nitro cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to replenish my supply of 470 Nitro brass and have been sopping around. I was surprised to see the difference in the cost of Norma 470 brass. Midway wants $112.99/20, Huntington $71.98/20. Any one find some cheeper?

Huntington also has Jamison cases for $46.98/20. How good is the Jamison compared to Norma?

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have not had good luck with Norma Brass in my rifles. They tend to separate after a few loads. I understand Norma may now offer a better product now...so it may be worth a try. I have no experience with Jamison, however if it is similar to the old Bell brass I think you will be happy with it. The best brass I have found is the Federal...but it is difficult to find!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Jamison .505 gibbs brass. At first I thought the brass had the wrong dimensions. But eventually I figured out that the dies were goofed up and the brass was fine.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also had head seperations after only a few reloads when using Norma brass. Not sure how old that brass is though.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought 40 Jamison cases for my 500NE from Huntingtons about a year ago after my supply of HDS brass ran out. 9 of the 40 had oversize primer pockets. No tension at all. Huntingtons promptly replaced them with no hassel at all. Jamison also seems softer in the head area and is not lasting as long. I think there is better brass out there than Jamison.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buffalo Arms (I think that's the name, Buffalo something anyway) di still have some .470 by Bell with the Rigby headstamp. Might be out now.

4/13/07: I just checked the Buffalo Arms website and they are no longer listing the Bell made stuff. They have Jamisom .470 brass listed.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought about 100 of the Ribgy headstamped last year. They were spent casings and pretty banged up. Had to "undo" the bend on the necks of about 25 of them.

The batch I got had, in my mind, a fairly high reject rate:

-3 had split necks out of the box
-3 were not lathed down to the base (wire rings)
-2 would not go into the resizing die (case thickness)
-1 would not go all the way into the resizing die (large bottom flare)
-5 had evident weakness in the brass on the side of the case (oblong depressions where it was clear that the case thickness had a definite weak point).

Another 5 bit the dust in the resizing die - one corner of the neck collapsed - you can chalk a couple of those up to operator issues.

Let's say 15 total were not suitable for reloading. With some of them, I wonder how in the heck they were ever able to chamber them in a rifle to shoot.

Not a total loss - some are salvagable to make up dummies for bullet seating and case trimming.

I count abouot 38 that I would use for hunting rounds. The rest go to the load development pile.

Just look at the cases very carefully and clean them before you inspect them. More than a few of the issues I found were not evident until after they had been through the tumbler.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LAST YEAR I OBUGHT 200 FROM BUFFALO ARMS REAL GOOD BRASS, IT HAS RIGBY STAMP ON IT.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
I bought about 100 of the Ribgy headstamped last year. They were spent casings and pretty banged up. Had to "undo" the bend on the necks of about 25 of them.

The batch I got had, in my mind, a fairly high reject rate:

-3 had split necks out of the box
-3 were not lathed down to the base (wire rings)
-2 would not go into the resizing die (case thickness)
-1 would not go all the way into the resizing die (large bottom flare)
-5 had evident weakness in the brass on the side of the case (oblong depressions where it was clear that the case thickness had a definite weak point).

Another 5 bit the dust in the resizing die - one corner of the neck collapsed - you can chalk a couple of those up to operator issues.

Let's say 15 total were not suitable for reloading. With some of them, I wonder how in the heck they were ever able to chamber them in a rifle to shoot.

Not a total loss - some are salvagable to make up dummies for bullet seating and case trimming.

I count abouot 38 that I would use for hunting rounds. The rest go to the load development pile.

Just look at the cases very carefully and clean them before you inspect them. More than a few of the issues I found were not evident until after they had been through the tumbler.

I'd be a little unhappy with that also.

I don;t recall losing any so far of what I bought. I bought only new, not that that really matters. QC when they ran your brass must have been asleep or gone home. I've converted some of it to .500/450 and .500's as well as using as .470's.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've fired 148 rounds of BeLL Rigby marked brass in my .470 NE with no difficulties at all. Most I've fired one piece is 5 times.

Am happy it's worked out because I bought 200 pieces of it as BeLL was clearing house for the sale to Jamison.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will have a bunch of Kynoch empties soon...will send you some if you want them!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh,

If interested, PM me your shipping address,

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd be glad to have them I've the first if 465H&H doesn't for some reason.

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not get a hold of David Little at Kynamco in London and buy some from him?

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote