New
Find
Notify
Tools

borerifled?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know if someone can explain the term BORERIFLE?Are the same as rifled barrels on an rifle?Ans how hard would it be to make out of an shotgun?Would you please explain.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
I would like to know if someone can explain the term BORERIFLE?Are the same as rifled barrels on an rifle?Ans how hard would it be to make out of an shotgun?Would you please explain.
BORE RIFLE; Shotgun with a fully rifled barrel or barrels.

CRTRIDGES FOR BORE RIFLE; Usually used with factory slug ammo, but a better outcome is with custom all brass cases hand-loaded with molded lead lubed bullets!

Paradox is different from a bore rifle in that it is basically a SHOT & BALL gun with a smooth bore except for a very slow twisted rifling in the last four or so inches of the barrel at the muzzle. The paradox type can be used as a shotgun or slug gun, while the true BORE RIFLE is for bullets only!

You are correct that a bore rifle can be made form a shotgun by simply cutting the old shot barrels away, just about over the hinge pin boreing out the old chambers and sleeving in a pair of a single slow twist rifled barrel and regulating them to shoot side by side with iron sights and scope! Take a look at the thread titled something like 20 ga build by nitro450exp on the double rifle forum, it is building a 20 ga bore rifle, and the pictures tell the story! This is not a project for a pipe wrench, and a claw hammer type smithing!
...................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The majority of bore rifles were in 12, 10 or 8 gauge with some 4 bores.

Some of the 12 bores were not much heavier than a shotgun and were designed for 3 to 4 dram powder charges. I think the lighter ones were for smaller thin skinned game. From there, the weights went up to 11 to 13 lbs and charge weights to 9 drams. they used 500 or 600 grain bullets.

The larger bores weighed in at 15 or 20 lbs or more with dramatically heavier charges and bullet weights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the information.what i would like to know ,what is the best action to start with?also would you know an gunsmith that i can used to build this project? i would like to have made in an 20 ga. i will wait on an post.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Will, I'd suggets a Greener Empire if you can find one that's reasonably priced. Long bar and stout as a 12 gauge, the action size would let you use fairly thick walled barrels that would give me comfort going above normal 20 gauge slug ballistics or using healthy doses of BP.

Bpb

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is your budget for this project? CSMC made some on the RBL model shotgun. I was not crazy about the regulation system.
http://www.csmcspecials.com/pr...t_p/professional.htm
V-C can also make one but will run about $10,500 depending on options

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
Big Will, I'd suggets a Greener Empire if you can find one that's reasonably priced. Long bar and stout as a 12 gauge, the action size would let you use fairly thick walled barrels that would give me comfort going above normal 20 gauge slug ballistics or using healthy doses of BP.

Bpb

+1

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First if all i wanted to maybe get one made in the range of maybe $2500.00, and i did take alook at the RBL just to much at this time.That the reason iwanted to go with maybe an sound used action and go from there,So what would be an good price? i am opening for help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need some hammer forged rifled 20ga barrel blanks let me know. I have some on order for a mfg and can still add some to the order. These are made by Verney-Carron, and the same quality of materials and workmanship that are sold as the Hastings slug barrels. These are $120 ea

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
What is your budget for this project? CSMC made some on the RBL model shotgun. I was not crazy about the regulation system.

That looks like it was built on a 12 Gauge.

Anyone know ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only glanced at the RBL from a distance, looked like a 20ga frame but could be wrong. The RBL has a regulation system that looks like a hose clamp around the muzzle, that is enough of a turn off to stop me from picking it up and looking closer.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the "20ga double rifle build thread" on this forum by 450 nitro exp. It looks as if he's building the 20 ga that you want.

He's going all the way with his rifle, but If you find the right gun to start with you could approach it in stages. Rifled barrels and sights first and restock, etc. as funds are available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That good ideal thank you MACD,If anyone know of an good gunsmith let me know by PM me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Will

If you could live with a single trigger rifle, you might consider one of the Browning BSS 20 ga shotguns as a starting point. I just learned from this forum that Searcy used to use them as the basis for his double rifles. Enough said about strength.

Those are attractive, well made guns with a little engraving. Lots of them around on the used gun market. I notice that some of the guys doing conversions use 16 ga actions so I don't know if the action size of the Browning is an issue. I do know that they are way too heavy for my tastes as a shotgun so they may be big enough for a 20 ga rifle.

You might be able to get away with just rebarreling and leave the stock as is.

Just a thought.