New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Merkel is Home
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got my 500NE Merkel back from JJ on Friday. He added a mercury recoil reducer, a leather covered recoil pad, and did some sight work.

Saturday I took it to the desert, and it is a pleasure to shoot. The gun looks great and the felt recoil is much less than before.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Lhook7,

Post a picture or two if you get a chance. I have a .500 NE Merkel that I have been shooting with 570 grain Woodleigh SPs in front of 106 grains of IMR4350 for about 2050 fps (consistently groups under 2 inches at fifty yards with most around an inch or inch and a half). My Merkel has the factory recoil pad on it (stock feels like it has some weight added too it, but not a mercury reducer). I have not found the recoil to be that bad. Honestly, I would rather shoot the Merkel than my Heym in .470 NE. I do hate the sights on the Merkel, what sights did you have installed?

Mike

Mike

Posts: 21319 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Mine was factory with no weight added and it was kicking my butt! I'm using the same loads as you except I only use 105 gr of 4350.

I was going to use NECG sights, but JJ talked me into him adding a different (I don't know the make) front sight with a flip up ivory bead for low light. He ground the rear sight to make it more of a "U" than a "V". After seeing the finished product, I'm glad JJ talked me into going this way.

I'll try to remember to post some pictures this evening when I get home.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
How is your's grouping? I have been more than pleased with the accuracy of mine.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Lee:

I have the same rifle, and sent it back to JJ for a recoil reducer and recoil pad after the ladies at the last DRSS hunt complained about the recoil.

After August's hunt, I too am sending it back to JJ for new front and rear sights. The factory sights that came with the gun suck.

When you sent the gun, did you send some ammo along with it so JJ could try it out after doing the sight work?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee:

Also, PM with the cost to have the sights installed please.

V/r,

577NitroExpress

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
How is your's grouping? I have been more than pleased with the accuracy of mine.

My grouping is OK, but I need to shoot it a little more to get comfortable and then start working on regulating a load. Currently my left barrel appears to be shooting a little lower than my right, but I need to spend some more time shooting to verify this.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I didn't send any ammo along. I'll send you a PM this evening when I get home and have the invoice in hand. The overall price was much less than I expected.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
If you do not mind, send me a PM with the price info too. I am particularly interested in the sights. Thanks.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures:

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Damn! those pictures are so big, and blown up, they look like colored blocks!

jumping jumping

Add me onto that PM with the cost of the sights! I have two Merkel double rifles, and I want the sights on both!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Wish I could get my Merkel to shoot decent groups. That's the problem with these "low end" doubles. Smiler

At this point, I am a little reluctant to tinker with things. The caliper is on 1.650".

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Lhook7, PM me with figures and facts on your sight work as I may have my front sight changed on my Merk. The front sight looks very similar to the NECG front sight I have on my 375.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1247 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines:

You need to pack that baby up and take it back because getting groups like that on a $8000 gun is unacceptable...

animal

577NitroExpress

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got my 470 Merkel back from JJ.I had the ivory flip up put on mine also,as well as the pad + merc. supp.Have'nt had time to shoot yet but the sight is perfect.Super quick snap target aquisition.It took me too long to focus with the brass sight.And especially concerning the quality of the work I thought his price was extremely fair.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote