Find
Notify
Tools

500 Linebaugh Conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted
My good customer in NY thought this project up. He always wanted a sidelock double rifle, but just cant afford the real deal. As he put it, "I'm a Toyota kind of Surgeon". The caliber, .500 Linebaugh is a revolver cartridge. Being low pressure and small case it can go on a smaller action size, this one being a 20ga sidelock. Consequently being such a large bore we should have a pretty lightweight piece. It will be a great driven deer rifle and close range pig gun.

The barrels started as blanks, all contoured by me. Only having manual machines I have to get creative as you will see. The barrels taper from the monoblock seam(.900") down to .700" mid barrel.

The "steps" are removed by hand filing/striking. One must be careful not to washout at the bottom of the taper into the straight section.:

To affix the barrels into the resulting monoblock we shrunk fit them in. This was my first time doing it this way...nerves were shot by the end of the night! The seams at the breach end will be TIG welded, the seam at the front of the monoblock will be micro-tigged. One thing I am not is a welder, so I'll have it welded before installing the ribs.

Here is the actual size drawing. Im still playing with the grip area. The blank we picked out is a Turkish blank from Luxus.

Before inletting I wanted to really clean up the insides and outside of the actions. To do this I needed to anneal the action. The action will be CCH at a later date. Just some random polishing pics.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
Great Project! (the caliber: http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/a...BEqstFNKYn&catid=423 )

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You turn out some interesting stuff. Keep em coming.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
VERY cool, love the projects and pictures.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very cool project. My .500 Linebaugh is on a Bisley platform, but I can attest to the cartridge being more than adequate for deer, hogs, elephant, lions, and tigers, and bears oh my!

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 very cool project, I have my 500 on a bisley as well. with 525's, that gun will stomp anything on this planet.
Look forward to seeing the progress.

With pressures in mind, would going to a 500 Max (1.6 version) be to much for that 20 gauge frame size?

Simply, Elegant but always approachable

Posts: 354 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 May 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Very cool project? What action did you start with? Are you shooting for a certain finished weight?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding idea.
Any estimate about the total cost?
This could be a real fun gun.

And I'm headed to AK again for bear in May.
Probably too late this year to commission one?

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
This customer will have $8500+ into the gun by the time it's over. That being said we are putting a lot of work into it. Full shotgun to rifle conversion, full restock with a nice piece of Turkish, annealing and re color case hardening the action, cleaning up the lockwork, gold plating some of the internals, and more.

It can be done cheaper or more expensively. The hardest part is finding an adequate 20ga donor gun.

This gun is an off brand Spanish gun, a copy of a h&h action. We went with the more modest 435grain load going 1000fps. If one wanted the more potent rounds we could step up to a 16ga frame. I know where to get some JP Sauer guns, overall for the gun and the conversion work would be around $3500. I couldn't have it done by May though, barrel providers are too backed up.

It would make a great Alaskan round for bear and moose. One could have a sidearm and a longgun in the same caliber which is what Carlos(customer) is doing.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if a 460 and 500 S&W work in this application? Would make a good Hogs rifle.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Your starting to play with some serious pressure on those two.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
What's the optimal barrel length for this load?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to seeing the final result, looks great so far! Can I ask how much oversize you leave the barrel tenon before shrink fitting?

Posts: 210 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post

Getting close:

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Still have all the lockwork to inlet. I'll just knock it out one piece at a time. Someone much better would do it all together. Alas this is my first sidelock. Done plenty of boxlocks.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big will:
I wonder if a 460 and 500 S&W work in this application? Would make a good Hogs rifle.

The SAAMI spec on those two cartridges is the same and just under 62,000 psi. The .500 Linebaugh tops out right around 40,000 psi but you don't need to load it that high to get exits on very big animals (loaded correctly of course).

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I am glad you are doing these. I see you as the next DR master maker, in the US; hopefully the world.
On the .50 calibers; you could use a longer case, like a 50-110, and get better velocities at lower pressure. Those little pistol rounds can be hot. Just for future reference; noting wrong with what you are doing.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thats a really neat project, and its going to be a gorgeous gun!

That should end up being a very capable and interesting piece!

One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Stock roughed out, still a lot of refinement to do. Pictured with the original forend wood.

682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is going to be one beautiful rifle.
Waiting to see the finished product.

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
great lines Aaron!

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote