THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Thanks for the book orders over the years
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks for the book orders over the years
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
As the title says, thank you for your book orders over the years. Of my three titles on doubles, two are nealry sold out (.600 & British Bore Rifle) with only 11 copies remaining. The Double Rifle Prime has a bit over 100 in stock.

I have enough info to publish books on the .577, black powder express, nitro express, big shotguns (10-4 bore), and Winchester .50 caliber express rifles) but at my age it is too much work for the return so I will probably pass.

But to all of you AR fellas, thanks for your orders. I was a pleasure knowing many of you through the book sales.

Cheers and good reading.
Cal

PS. I'm getting lots of interest in the double shoot this May 5. You all are welcome to come and shoot, see Alaska, fish, etc.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal. I admire your tenacity of the interest and shooting these old doublerifles lots of us hold dearly. Your books are a prize to my bookcollection. I hope you will do a book on .500express...or any other for that matter.. Smiler

Keep up. Gods blessings to you patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal. You have helped educate a lot of us and encourage our passion for doubles. Really enjoyed emailing and chatting with you over the years and hope our paths continue to cross. Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Cal...I enjoyed all your books, especially the .600 and bore rifle book.. tu2

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

Can you tell us a bit about the books?

Posts: 10132 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Cal,

Can you tell us a bit about the books?

My pleasure.
My first two are sold out. James '450' Watts and the Safari Guide. Then I got the hots for double rifles.

The .600 Nitro Express is a 184-page study of vintage (and some modern) doubles and singles only in that caliber. Approximately 25% of all of the vintage doubles from the UK are in the book's photo layouts. $70

The British Bore Rifle is a 400+ page book on the 28- up to 4-bores, both double and singles. History, ballistics, ammo, etc., old catalog pages, it is a very complete history of the bore rifles. Countless color photos of amazing rifles. $90

My third is The Double Rifle Primer. 184 pages of everything double rifles. How to buy, sell, repair, reload, determine originality, a 45-page color illustrated glossary of double rifle terms. $70

All three are hardcover, dust jacket, heavy glossy paper.

I have about 10 remaining of the Primer and BBR remaining and they may be spoken for. About 100 or a few more remain of the Primer book.

If all three copies are bought I pay the postage to a US address. They have been selling fairly well but living in Alaska is not conducive to marketing. If I could go to a convention or big gun show every month I would do much better. And, advertising is too darn expensive in the larger publications. It's just not worth the time and money to fly to the Lower 48 for shows, ship books, rent cars, hotels, etc.

As mentioned I have gathered photos and data for several other titles but it is too much work for the return to continue in the business. If I was in the Lower 48 I would pursue additional printings.

You can see additional details on my website, <calpappas.com> Books by Cal are on the navagation bar. Any questions, please PM, email, or post here.
Cheers, all. It's been a pleasure.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello All,

I would highly recommend that you purchase all 3 Titles before they are gone. Even if you don't yet have a 600 or a Double Rifle, they are all very interesting reading, filled with information and pictures and History, that will bring you back to reading them, over and over, again. I think I've read the 600NE book about 5 times now, and the other 2, about 3 times each, cover-to-cover. With each re-reading I find interesting details that I've missed.

I have 4 out of 5 of Cal's books. The only book I'm missing is the Safari Guide. If anyone has a copy they would like to sell, I'll pay a handsome profit.

Cal, I'd sure like to see a book on the 577bpe and your other studies. Perhaps you could put them together in a spiral-bound manuscript form instead of the full-blown hard cover format. I offer my "Van Adestine Knife Book" in both formats and the spiral-bound copies out sell the hard cover by 3 to 1.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2142 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cal, I treasure my copy of the "British Bore Rifle." It is likely as close as I will every come to having a double rifle.
I can just about swoon over the possibility of a book on the BPEs. This is my favorite period of the Victorian age of hunting.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the efforts expended to write them. I enjoyed all of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I would like to purchase a copy of your .600 book and the Big Bore book. I have the Primer and have enjoyed it. Please let me know where to sent the check. If my math is holding up, that comes to $160 plus any postage you need. Looking forward to reading the books. Thanks.

Scott

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scojac:
Cal,

I would like to purchase a copy of your .600 book and the Big Bore book. I have the Primer and have enjoyed it. Please let me know where to sent the check. If my math is holding up, that comes to $160 plus any postage you need. Looking forward to reading the books. Thanks.

Scott

PM sent.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
600NE book is awesome.
Have to check if I ever bought the DR Primer. If not, will have to get one.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote