THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Shooting my 4 Bore Double Video!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting my 4 Bore Double Video!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
I now have it on YOUTUBE.COM Look under Testing T-Rex! and Testing T-Rex II Testing T-Rex III More to come!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I can't find it, anywhere!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
I now have it on YOUTUBE.COM Look under Testing T-Rex! and Testing T-Rex II Testing T-Rex III More to come!

I now have it on YOUTUBE.COM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT5iB7nIs0Y also,I have two other under my name at this time

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Tom, I watched, and I am NOT quite ready to ask for a turn.

But you sir, are strongly encouraged to go get an elephant with it and make sure THAT is captured on video for us.

My next step up is likely to be the 577 NE double.

If I "am good" with that, I'll try to set up a chance to try a 600 NE double.

After that, I am not even thinking that far ahead.

By the way what are the details of the rifle? Side lock or box lock with side plates?

Intercepting sears, articulated front trigger, BBL length, weight LOP, etc?

Where does ammo and or components come from? What is the cost of one round?
Enjoy your new rifle for a long time, all the best!!! cheers

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Jack,I plan on the videoing as much as possible.I head to Tanz next month for 2 or 3 Buff and some other stuff with it and my .600OK.I am also booked with M.Sullivan next July for possibly a full line of DG.I am considering do a video exclusive to the 4 Bore and marketing it later next year,something like "4 Bore the Barbarian" or something,destroying everything in its path from Louisiana Nutria to African Elephant?!...The .577NE is a very efficient killer,as is the .600..I do happen to have one of each For Sale,a Westley Richards and a Charles Osborne.PM me for more details if you like (gorgeous english doubles).As for MY 4 Bore double,it has 22" barrels,weighs 26 pounds empty,a True Sidelock with dbl triggers.Regulated at 50yds with each barrel touching.Ammo is not cheap and I get it from the maker of the gun...Also,it will be fully engraved in November,pics to follow when shes done!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks for the details on the new 4 bore and the other info.

I think a video of the 4 Bore used to hunt a wide variety of game is a GREAT idea!

I have taked to Mr Owen. (I had refered to him as OWENS he clarified that his name is Owen, no 'S' on the end)

He came across as a fine person to me. I am thinking of having him build a rifle for me.

I am going through the CALIBER EXPLORATION phase, progressing UPWARD. Smiler

Jack

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Ken is a friend of mine and it is Owen.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Is Ken Owen in Moscow TN about 30-40 miles east of Memphis?

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Jack,Go BIG,put a Big hole in it!
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
Tom,

Thanks for the details on the new 4 bore and the other info.

I think a video of the 4 Bore used to hunt a wide variety of game is a GREAT idea!

I have taked to Mr Owen. (I had refered to him as OWENS he clarified that his name is Owen, no 'S' on the end)

He came across as a fine person to me. I am thinking of having him build a rifle for me.

I am going through the CALIBER EXPLORATION phas, progressing UPWARD. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Is Ken Owen in Moscow TN about 30-40 miles east of Memphis?

Yes

505ED

DRSS Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAFARIKID sent me an e mail with a few more details about his new 4 bore.

Let me say to all that the subject rifle is going to serve Tom and any future owner very, very well in deed.

All the best Tom, and keep the videos coming!!!

Jack

One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I don't get it.
I would think any gun that pushes you back 3 steps is too damn big to hunt DG with.
26 lbs. WOW! The gunbearers are gonna love you! Wink
You obviously are very much a big bore fanatic, but I am wondering, are your motives to shoot DG with as big a rifle as possible or do you really feel the need for a 4 bore?
Don't get me wrong, I applaud you for your passion, I am just curious.

cheers

KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
KC,Its really not that bad and under presure,I can hold it down & get off a second shot very fast.That was more for fun & show!
I just like the Ultra BB's alot.I have shot most of the DG in Africa with the lil guns such as the 458,500,505 and 577.Most one shot kills,some took 2 shots. Do I feel the need for these Monster guns,No,I dont because as John Taylor said,"Dead is Dead"!,but that being said I will use my .600 and 4 bore next month and hopefully Slam 3 or 4 Buff down to the ground.Why you ask? Because,its just different and alot of fun.Yes,the Gunbearers may curse me as I will carry my 10 pound .60O and stick them with the Mastodon,but I do tip well! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Little rounds!!!!!!!! jumping

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Another one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHfzdQ8HWoI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The video in your post just above my post here is a GOOD ONE!

The round you hold up is unreal looking!

Please, what are ALL the case dimentions?

What is the actual bullet diameter?

Thank's Tom and keep on keeping on!

Jack

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
OH LORD... Now SAFARIKID'S videos have drawn my interest to 4 BORES!!!!!!!!

Jack, if you are seriously considering a 4 bore as your first double rifle, than you should consider getting your head examined.

Your first DR should be somewhere between a .450-400 and .470; .500 should be considered the highest you should go for your first. Anything bigger than that, I would wager, would become nothing more than a safe queen.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack,

If you ever ge to Dallas give me a call - we can shoot my light 470.

Safarikid - Gotta love that 4 bore!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
577 NITRO, fear not, no purchase of any size DR is likely to happen for a year.

JIM M., Thanks for the offer.

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
does your 600 really weigh 10 pounds ?

they were screaming and yelling that my 577 - could not --weigh only 10 1/2 pounds

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tomo577,
Tom is having a really lite 600 being made right now at around 8 1/2 lbs !!! I think tis one weighs in at about 11 lbs. He really likes the short barrels and the light weight. I like a little longer barrel with a little more weight, but it make it slower to handle.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bigfivejack,

That 4-bore cartridge is 4" long and a full 1" in diameter with 2000 grain bullets.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BDY700, do you have the rim thickness & diameter, base diameter and head diameter?

Jack

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BFJ,

The rim diameter is 1 3/16", the base dia. looks to be 1 1/16", and the head diameter is 1". THIS IS JUST MEASURED WITH A TAPE, NOT A MICROMETER.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:

they were screaming and yelling that my 577 - could not --weigh only 10 1/2 pounds

I think the gun Safarikid is refering to is a bolt 600 Overkill, but I'll let him answer.

DRSS Member

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Hi fellas...Been real busy,but I see you got the case dimensions,thanks Ken...Yes,it is a 600 Overkill and yes,it weight 10 1/2 pounds w/o the brake on!As said,I am having another one made with 18"SS barrel,lightweight contour and fiberglass stock,will be all black including metal and it will be "Hogzilla"!No recoil reducers in stock this time and that cuts 1 1/2 pounds alone,then the lighter stock and barrel should get it under 9 pounds no problem.The glass stock does help absorb recoil some and I hope to take some Big Hogs with it!! : )

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Yes,10 1/2 pounds w/o brake...I also have a .577 Westley Richards smokeless double with 26" barrels,ejectors and it weighs a honest 9 pounds,13 ounces and is Gorgeous to boot!Recoil is a lil heavy,but it shoots the 650grainers at 1900fps.My light 600NE double DOES kick the most at 13.3 pounds with 25" barrels.I did have 2 recoil reducers installed and that helped.(that weight includes them!)They are all truley a "Kick" to Shoot! : )
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Wonderful videos ,excellent please give me details of your 4 bore .Ill like to have one here in Argentina to test on buffalos.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6367 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Wonderful videos ,excellent please give me details of your 4 bore .Ill like to have one here in Argentina to test on buffalos.Juan

Sure for a $42,500 deposit Searcy can build you one, of course requiring an additional $42,500 upon completion.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
or i can get waffin fabrik hein make me a 4 bore farquson for one heck of a lot less there working on it soon enough i knew they ahd the plans in the works.

85k for a 4 bore double.......now thats just getting fuckin retarded.

and i thought paying 40 grand for my 700 nitro was outragouse. 85 grand is astronomical.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Juan,We need to talk....I want to come down and shoot a few of those Buff next summer(your winter)My hunting partner waants Red Stag and we both want some Ducks,Geese and dove of course.What do you have to offer? Thanks...Tom
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
or i can get waffin fabrik hein make me a 4 bore farquson for one heck of a lot less there working on it soon enough i knew they ahd the plans in the works.

85k for a 4 bore double.......now thats just getting fuckin retarded.

and i thought paying 40 grand for my 700 nitro was outragouse. 85 grand is astronomical.

I agree 700. It's a nice safari or buy a rifle and settle for a lesser safari or none!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch says he can build 7 ph doubles in the same time it takes to make a 4 bore or a 700. That is why the price has gone up for either. Ken Owen wants $75,000 for anymore 4 bores that he would build. Ken puts in 1000 hours on one to get it completed. That is alot of work. So Butch wants paid for his time, if the market will bare it what the heck. That is alot of money though. A guy in England is making two 4-bores and they are supposed to run between $96,000 and $115,000. I guess it's all relative.