New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm off to South Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well fellows, the time has flown by and in only two days, on Saturday afternoon, I'm heading back to Africa. This trip is to South Africa for plains game. My wish list is Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Grey Duiker, Warthog, and Nyala, to add to my modest little trophy room. The only rifle that I'm taking is the little double rifle in calibre .303 British that I built a few years ago. It is shooting some very close groups at 100 yards and I plan to take everything with it. Retreever and Double Don are familiar with it as I had it at the Southern Side-By-Side, two years ago, and they both got to shoot it a bit. Look here for some photos, hopefully, of me, the rifle, and some critters, in about two weeks.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
tu2

Have a great and safe safari and yes, i'll be looking forward to the photos.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Enjoy and safe travels!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ron, Don't for get your ammo. Yea and "Make the Shot".

A sweet side by side to shoot.

Regards,

Mike BOOM

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Have a safe and fun trip tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What bullets are you using with the 303?
peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I already have 50 rounds packed in a locked aluminum case, inside my suitcase. If I can't get it done with 50, I'll take up golf or tennis! Wink

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I shoot the Hornady 174 grain round nose, at 2200 fps. I've killed two good-sized Russian Boars with it and it stoned them both with one shot each.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, best of luck!

I really enjoyed the picture I've seen of you building that rifle. Quite the piece of craftsmanship. I can only imagine how it would feel to hunt Africa with a double made with your own two hands.

Please post plenty of pictures on your return!

Good Hunting,
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am still in SA...The weather is great here in Freestate.Just came home from a hunt in Eastern Cape. Back in DK next week.
Have a good hunt Ronvella Smiler

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron, i would like to talk to you about your double rifle project.Can i e-mail you or pm you?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Good luck Ron! Keep us posted.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Will,
Feel free to contact me as you wish, but please wait until after Sept 14. I've got a lot of last minute stuff to attend to and today is my grandson's 17'th birthday as well.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Ron

Have a safe trip and may Diana smile upon your venture.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ron: Classic rifle and a classy trip. Have a ball!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron:

Happy birthday for your grandson.

Have a safe, successful and enjoyable trip, looking forward for the report of the hunt.
Wonder how the 303 will perform on game.

Malek

Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron;
From another Canadian have a great time.Looking forward to some pictures of what you get with the old 303.

DRSS

Posts: 180 | Location: Vancouver Island/High Arctic | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Travel safe, and have a great hunt!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well folks, we got back last night and the trip could not have been much better. As promised, here are a few of our many photos.

Took this nice Eland bull at 225 yards, at 1:00 pm on first day. One shot through left shoulder,
no exit but lungs destroyed and he went down within 30 yards. That's my wife Rosemary beside me.

Took this Grey Duiker at 95 yards at 6:45 am on day three. Bullet clipped off two 1/2" branches, was deflected about 2". Duiker ran into the thick brush. The little Jack Russell is named "Doumpie" and belongs to PH, Barry Vermeulen. It took Doumpie about 30 seconds to find my Duiker, dead as a mackerel, about 25 yards from where I shot him!

We got within 135 yards of this Blue Wildebeest, in the afternoon of day three. He was quartering to us. I hit him just in front of left shoulder and he took off into the brush with the rest of the herd. Doumpie found him, in short order, lying in the tall grass about 60 yards from where I had hit him. He was completely bled out.

This is a very nice Nyala bull that I took on the morning of day four. He was quartering away at 135 yards and one shot on left shoulder did the trick.

A decent, representative Red Hartebeest bull, taken on morning of day six. He was standing broadside at 145 yards. Shot took him on left shouder and exited on right shoulder. He ran about 60 yards and piled up dead.PH is Louis DuPlessis, a great one!

This is a pretty decent Warthog sow that I took on the afternoon of day six. She was broadside to us at about 120 yards. Shot broke a rib going in, took the top off of the heart, and broke a rib on the exit. She died where she stood.

I took this big old Warthog boar as he trotted across the trail in front of us on the afternoon of day seven. I didn't lead him enough and broke his back. A follow-up shot was required to finish him. Really heavy, massive tusks that are well-worn from years of rooting.

Great accomodations, home-cooked meals in liberal quantities, two great PH's, and lots of game. Nitro Safaris out of Kimberley, South Africa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great trophies taken with a double rifle that you made! Wow, that has to be a very rewarding experience. Bravo and thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Welcome back, Ron.

Congratulations on a great safari built on the fruits of you labors. What could be more rewarding ... tu2

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron

Fantastic effort from the moment you put file to metal through to proudly sitting behind your trophy to preserve the moment in history. Well done.

Now that you've had a chance to use your DR on an extended hunt, I'd be interested to hear what you thought about the .303 Brit on the larger plains game. Are you happy with the load/bullet combination you regulated her for and would you consider the 215gr Woodleigh's as an alternative.

Rhodes

DRSS

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Ron

I am very happy for you. Looks like you had a great experience.
Very good old Nyala and Wartie.
Congrats !

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Ron,
like mentioned above,a job well done and with a rifle that you made,can't get any better tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like you made pretty good buddies with "DOUMPIE". Looks like you were quite happy with the double as well.
Very nice, all the way around.
Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great report & trophies. I really like the old warthog in the last pictures.

What action did you build the rifle on. Is there a thread on the rifle? could you please post some photos.

thanks

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11253 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ron, Way to go and those sweet doubles.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nakihunter,
there is a complete report of the build on the "Building Double Rifles" page at NitroExpress.com".

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That looks like it was a great trip Ron! Were the PH's surprised that this was a home made rifle? Any problems with traveling with a conversion?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
This was the first time that ANYONE had hunted there with any double. Barend and Louis were surprised at how well it shot and how well it performed. No problem at all in travelling with the conversion although I had all five required permits with me and they all stated the make and calibre.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron:

Good report, great pictures and Great performance for that old 303 I must say especially at those distances that the animals were shot at.

It must have brought you great feelings of satisfaction and pride in your work.

clap

Malek
Good hunting/shooting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Pretty work Ron!!

Hope to see you at the Vintager's next week!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ron: Wonderful trophies, well taken with that sweet double of yours. I just love it when the classic calibers of old continue to get the job done so efficiently more than a century later.
Lord, don't let Sabatti offer their small frame double in .303 ...

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Ron: Wonderful trophies, well taken with that sweet double of yours. I just love it when the classic calibers of old continue to get the job done so efficiently more than a century later.
Lord, don't let Sabatti offer their small frame double in .303 ...

Bill, If I didn't have this .303, I'd have bought one of the Sabatti's in calibre 7x65R in a heartbeat! A real fine calibre in a $3000 double rifle. Buy it with both eyes open, so as to avoid one of the ones with the "Dremel Tool regulation", and you've got a sure winner!

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle, probably why the screen has a green tint. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ron, now you've done it. I didn't know the Sabatti was available in 7X65R ...

– John Green, author