THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .470NE Rigby Boxlock Vintage
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470NE Rigby Boxlock Vintage
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen this rifle for sale for some time now. Can anyone tell me if the action is original? Looks different to most vintage Rigby Boxlocks I’ve seen. Normally the “John Rigby & Co” is larger and in different style. Case colours look a bit new for 1930? Might have just had very little use. The butt certainly does not look original, normally more slender behind the pistol grip. Thanks.

https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=101048573

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
It's been for sale for some time due to the very high price. Doubles are in a down market and I have seen (and bought) fully engraved Rigby's for 10K less (not rising bites). This rifle has minimal engraving.

The new case adds zero to the value. The sissy pad should be replaced with a correct Silver's pad. The condition is great but I wonder if the case colors were redone as they do look too good to be 90 years old. Close examination would tell if a reblue was done. Refinishing to original specs does not hurt a double.

There are several fairly new dealers out there who try to have a fancy gun shop and mark up the prices to be in the same league as the established names such as the English firms or Griffin and Howe. This rifle would be a wonderful double to add to your gun safe and take to Africa but you will NEVER get your money out of it should you decide to sell it. If I had this rifle for sale I would find it difficult to get 25K out of it.
Just my two cents after a quick look.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
It's been for sale for some time due to the very high price. Doubles are in a down market and I have seen (and bought) fully engraved Rigby's for 10K less (not rising bites). This rifle has minimal engraving.

The new case adds zero to the value. The sissy pad should be replaced with a correct Silver's pad. The condition is great but I wonder if the case colors were redone as they do look too good to be 90 years old. Close examination would tell if a reblue was done. Refinishing to original specs does not hurt a double.

There are several fairly new dealers out there who try to have a fancy gun shop and mark up the prices to be in the same league as the established names such as the English firms or Griffin and Howe. This rifle would be a wonderful double to add to your gun safe and take to Africa but you will NEVER get your money out of it should you decide to sell it. If I had this rifle for sale I would find it difficult to get 25K out of it.
Just my two cents after a quick look.
Cal

Thanks Cal, yes that sissy pad would be the first thing to come off if I had anything to do with it. What do you think about the stock? Recent addition? I think it might have even been 47k when it was first advertised. Madness.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
With the swivle that far back, the stock has been cut to add the pad. It may be new wood or completely redone. The price is way out of line for what it is.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Cal,

You should write a book on doubles. Oh wait, are there any left?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
With the swivle that far back, the stock has been cut to add the pad. It may be new wood or completely redone. The price is way out of line for what it is.
Cal

Cheers thanks Cal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those don't appear to be "English" colors. In addition, the re-blue looks somewhat amateurish. I missed out on a really nice Army & Navy 450 3 1/4 in better shape at a Julia Auction for $10,500 and a Lancaster sidelock .475 No. 2 with all tools and case (original)at a Julia's auction for $27,500. Just putting in perspective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only the other very observant comments; but as well, how about the serial number on the action bar, looks like it was done over with a sharpened screwdriver or Dremel Tool.....NOT original Rigby by any stretch.
Certainly not a restoration done by a reputable house in England or USA.

And WTF is that excresence of a recoil pad?

You never know though, maybe it will sell to someone that has more $$$ than brains.
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The advertizement say made in 1930 with serie# 18157. My Rigby with serie# 17065 is from 1903 which suggest Rigby made/imported only aprox 40guns per year from 1903 to 1930. I don`t think so. I think this gun a a pre-war period rifle and not a inter-war production.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1930 is likely about right; I had Rigby #17888 some years ago and that one was from 1920.
A Rigby .470 #17828 is lettered from Rigby as 1919

Compendium of select maker serial number ranges:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/dgsnos4.htm

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Those don't appear to be "English" colors. In addition, the re-blue looks somewhat amateurish. I missed out on a really nice Army & Navy 450 3 1/4 in better shape at a Julia Auction for $10,500 and a Lancaster sidelock .475 No. 2 with all tools and case (original)at a Julia's auction for $27,500. Just putting in perspective.

Yes I didn’t think it looked right either. Looks too new for a 90 yr old rifle. I suppose one might pay a bit of a premium for a double in .470 but that is just ridiculous. Looks like only the barrel and maybe the forends is original.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redstone:
Not only the other very observant comments; but as well, how about the serial number on the action bar, looks like it was done over with a sharpened screwdriver or Dremel Tool.....NOT original Rigby by any stretch.
Certainly not a restoration done by a reputable house in England or USA.

And WTF is that excresence of a recoil pad?

You never know though, maybe it will sell to someone that has more $$$ than brains.
- Mike

I hadn’t noticed how bad the serial number looked on the bar before. Just shows, you have to do your due diligence before purchasing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was offered a Holland Paradox that was touted to be a one family owned gun. However, the "reputable" dealer from England showed me pictures of a hammer gun that looked like it had been run over by a train. I finally received pictures of the barrel flats, after repeated requests, wherein someone took a dremel tool and wrote, in script, "PARADOX". He only wanted twenty thousand English Pounds for this gem. I never replied. If I fell off the turnip truck it wasn't yesterday.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
That Rigby looks like a "regret" sale. The person who did it up must have spent around 10k on stock, color case & bluing alone. Not sure if it needed any other work.

This rifle does not create the instant heart flutters that a really nice English double does as soon as you look at the pictures Big Grin

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11241 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What would be the initials of the reputable English dealer?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t assume the engraved Rigby Name on the action isn’t original.

I just picked up a 350 with the same style lettering.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I wouldn’t assume the engraved Rigby Name on the action isn’t original.

I just picked up a 350 with the same style lettering.

Thanks for sharing, interesting to know. Only the second one I think I’ve ever seen with the name like that, including the one in the link. Beautiful rifle love that plain action, working rifle. That pin in the head of the stock, is that to stop cracking? Seen it on a few Rigby boxlocks. The fences on said 470 look very different to other Rigby boxlocks. Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a Rigby Class C double. They were made by Webley for Rigby and that is a long-bar Webley PHV-1 action.

I have seen others that looked similar, although a lot about the rifle screams after-market. The stock certainly looks either heavily worked on or a replacement.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
The pin in the stock is normally to act as a clamp to hold a vertical crack together.
I too have seen a number of Rigby boxlocks with the pin. Probably more than on other makes which makes me wonder if it could have been a preemptive strengthening measure rather than a repair.
In fact, it seems like they appear on 350s more than even 450s and 470s which is just the opposite of what one would expect.

Posts: 3318 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote