THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Artic Clothing and Tropical Rifles, Or. . .
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Artic Clothing and Tropical Rifles, Or. . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
How an African PH learned to hunt hogs in a Texas snow storm!

What an awesome time! We had FUN!
4K ranch was better than we thought it would be! The facilities were first rate! Our guides Brad and Matthew put us all on lots of game. If the sun would have come out we would have been covered up in pigs!
Mississippian got the largest hog a 280 pounder!
Several people have pictures I will let them post them on the thread about the hogs we took. I will post my picutres later today.

Our usual get together and shoot was reorganized this year by Eduard "Katta" Katzke.
He set a PH shooting course of fire at 6 different targets. Great fun.

Thanks to everyone for all their help and contributions.

A big THANK YOU to Long Grass Outfitters and Mil-Tec for their continued support of our events!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aw, come on, you're just saying this to make me feel bad for pulling out because of the icy roads. Surely ya'll never got outside, the power was out with no heat, snoring caused massive hearing damage, chili and beans the only food with expected results, and everybody got stuck in the snow getting out of there.

Hey, glad everybody had a great time and got back safe and I've spent the past day regretting not taking the drive. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Rusty - I am looking forward to your pictures. Did you blood the .404?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir! Paul shot an Axis the first day with the rifle and I shot two pigs Tuesday afternoon with the 404 Jeffery. I called Tip Burns on the way home and to;d him that the rifle wasn't ay fun! Every time I shot something just stayed there, dead! Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Yes, sir! Paul shot an Axis the first day with the rifle and I shot two pigs Tuesday afternoon with the 404 Jeffery. I called Tip Burns on the way home and to;d him that the rifle wasn't ay fun! Every time I shot something just stayed there, dead! Eeker

Well that is kind of boring -- have you tried ballistic tips??? sofa

I just talked to Tip -- seems he is headed your way shortly.

I am glad to hear that it got to see some time in the field and worked as planned -- I know it was a long time coming.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

Sorry I missed it this year. I was planning to attend the SHOT show, but the weather closed my local airport Friday. I don't think we should let Paul plan future DRSS events. He books one in August during the hottest time of the year, then this one during the coldest and most icy/snowy period in recent history for that area of Texas. What gives??? Wink

In answer to future questions on how one becomes of member of the DRSS...the answer should be you must survive the weather conditions of at least one gathering.

Glad to hear you boys had fun, killed some critters and got to shoot the cannons.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
Thanks for introducing me to the guys. I had a blast, literaly. I think my nose is going to have a permanent scar, but thats ok as I wasn't that good looking to begin with. I look forward to the next time we can get together and do it again. Maybe next time the weather will be a tad warmer.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Everyone had a great time, and the ranch is something to behold, the food was wonderfull, and the weather was OK as long as you were in front of the fireplace,watching a 52" TV. The weather didn't seem to bother the wildlife because any dirrection you looked there was something moveing! EXCEPT, at My stand, I saw one DUCK, at my hide but everyone else did great, with 14 HOGs coming into the skinning shed on one afternoon hunt.

We missed you Perry, and you missed a great time as well! Maybe the next one, buddy! BobC sorry you didn't make the drive, next time for you as well! Tomo, I had to cut your boars loose, when we found out your ski plane didn't get into Dallas. BAH HUM BUG

The best months to hunt Texas is from march to the middle of june, and from the last week
of september, to Christmas,, All other months are either 0 to 20 degress above,ICE, or RATTLE SNAKES, and 110 degrees above 0 (F)

cheers beer clap dancing boohoo BOOM

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
let's schedule the next shoot for the middle of hurricane season!!!!!!!!!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
Surely ya'll never got outside, the power was out with no heat, snoring caused massive hearing damage, chili and beans the only food with expected results, and everybody got stuck in the snow getting out of there.

animal animal animal

To be fair, I suppose if Canadians went there in the summer we'd be stuck under an air conditioner with cold beer, not going anywhere!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Click on this link to take you to sme pictures.

DRSS 07

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for not posting my busted nose.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Fellas, I am broken hearted that I did not go to the shoot...But be assured next year this guy will be there with my Famars 450#2 chomping at the bit...
Reminds me of hunting in Pa. with 15 degrees and snow on the ground... I will bring my white camo and ghost around the bush...

Rusty & Paul great photos...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where did you get the buffalo targets?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,
The targets were supplied by Jim Manion's friend, and since the DRSS shoot, all of our's friend, Eduard "Katte" Katzke, from the RSA. If you would like to get in touch with Katte, you can E-mail him at,
Katte@mweb.co.za

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry
I am sorry you, and your brother, missed the DSC and the DRSS Shoot/Hunt.

The 4K Ranch is a great place. We will definately do another DRSS event there in the future.

PS the Somali Cab Drivers Union were sorry your brother did not make it as well. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:

So are you the one who doubled the 577?

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:

So are you the one who doubled the 577?

I'll answer that! NO! He busted his nose with a Merkel 9.3X74R double rifle. clap

The window in his elevated blind was too small, and shooting down hill at the target and a little off ballance, the scope got him good! Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Ouch! I've whacked myself a couple of time with a scope. Not fun. Glad it didn't do too much damage, Brain.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 is half the weight of my 500. My nose is still sore. Next time I'll use it as a single shot. I must have just gotten overly exceited at all the backstrap that was running around near my blind.

Savannah Safaris Namibia
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where did you get the buffalo targets?

Katte shipped the targets over ahead of the shoot to give us a sense of what the BASA (Big Bore Association of South Africa) shoots are like.

We have been talking to BASA about establishing a US chapter of their International Big Bore Association. After our DRSS shoot, we are going to move forward with that effort.

Katte is Chairman of BASA, and is one hell of a guy. Their group in South Africa includes many PH's and is closely aligned with PHASA.

BASA is fully behind a US chapter. And they have gone out of their way to support us getting up and running. We ran into Kevin Robertson ("Doctari") at the DSC, and when he heard what we were planning he left the Safari Books booth in mid signing (I am sure the Safari Books folks will understand) to track down someone who asked about joining BASA.

IF Saeed and the moderators will allow it, I will post updates on our progress in getting this up and running.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Jim, is this something that "Bolt Trash" shooters can join in on? If so, the "Band of Bubba's" would join in too.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And give up water jugs ... never! Come back to your senses Keith. Must be too damn cold in Huntsville for cogent thought. Smiler

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
And give up water jugs ... Smiler

NEVER!

Just something else to add to the shoots. Also if there are any postal matches, it would be fun to see how we stack up against the PHs in these matches.

Keith

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith

It is open to big bores (.366 and up). The DRSS shoot was the first big shoot that fit everyone's schedule.

Most of the African PH's are bolt shooters, and now I know why. Seems that some countries impose a 42% duty on all imported rifles - that means a $10,000 rifle here immediately costs almost $15,000 there. And something like a Heym PH would run about $22,000 over there.

And Mike, if you can make a cape buff target out of milk jugs, come on down! cheers

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

animal animal animal

To be fair, I suppose if Canadians went there in the summer we'd be stuck under an air conditioner with cold beer, not going anywhere![/QUOTE]

i was at the summer hunt and i was the only one to hunt during the day when it was 110+deg out and i come from the coldest climate.

dose any one have pics from the last drss hunt of me with my hog my pics didnt turn out so well.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
quote:
i was at the summer hunt and i was the only one to hunt during the day when it was 110+deg out and i come from the coldest climate.

You were probably still thawing!

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
na.....iv actually come to love the heat.....i have no clue why but i love it.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty

Great pictures!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
na.....iv actually come to love the heat.....i have no clue why but i love it.

quote:
i come from the coldest climate

Guess you are tired of the cold.

Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer
It was good to see you again.
I think we should shoot some water jugs at our next Hunt/Shoot. We should put some red food coloring in the water of course. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Tony, the "best" food coloring to use is, a cheap generic "KoolAid". Strong color and much cheaper than regular food coloring.

Charging milk jugs are a great fun, if you do not miss. clap

Keith

One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
keith,
Had a great time with you on Saturday night!
I hope you can make the next get together!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer
Koolaid looks like the way to go.

We might have to do the next DRSS shoot in rain coats. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Doc, same here. thumb

Keith