New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baikal O/U 30 06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I continue to be very impressed by my Baikal SxS '06. Last time out loaded up some 220 Hornadys on top of 55 grains of H4831 and getting the barrels to shoot within an inch of each other at 50 yards.
Brings me to my question, since the SxS has performed so well just picked up a O/U on Gunbrokers for under $500. Seems to be well made but was wondering if anyone here ever owned one? Likes or dislikes? It has a regulating screw similar to the SxS but which barrel is fixed?
Yea, I know its not Searcy, English, or a Heym, etc but they are an absolute blast to shoot.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two of them, the first is an earlier version that did not have any provision for adjustment, but the second one does. Haven't shot the one with the adjusting screw, but I believe that the upper barrel is the fixed one.

If you look at them, I suspect that BOTH barrels will move a bit.

The non adjusting rifle shot small groups IIRC, but they were so far apart that the gun was fairly useless. Guess thats why they came out with the second version.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had one, picked it up cheap just to play with.
On mine the ajusting screw did not ajust anything it was just a tube with a screw head and a screw in the other end to hold it in place. To adjust vertical I removed it and reduced tube dia. a little at a time until barrels printed same elevation. My problem was the bottem barrel shot about 4" right of the top barrel and no easy way to correct. The amazing thing was that each barrel would shoot 1" groups at 100yds. Maybe you will have better luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The adjusting "screw" on this O/U is identical to the one on the SxS. This being a round piece of metal where you insert a round pin to move the wheel.
Interesting, the adjuster sits at about the middle length of the barrels while the front of the barrels appear to be fixed. This is also identical to the SxS version. System works perfectly on the SxS.
The comb is also lower on the O/U which permits the factory iron sights to be easily picked up.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote