New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bargain Double Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
When talking about double rifles, bargain is a relative term... Having said that, there are 3 double rifles in the DSC Convention auctions and this year there is online bidding available, so you do not have to attend to bid. There is a VC in .470, a Searcy in .470 and a Blaser 2 barrel set (.470 and .375 H&H). Most of the time these sell pretty close to value, but every once in a while they may sell "cheap",(again, relative). Sign up is fairly painless...so check it out.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2823 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to let everyone know that the rifle I brought to DSC is a right handed 470 Field Grade. I'm offering to the highest bidder the option to change caliber and or make it a left handed rifle. Delivery will be 45 days.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got the V-C and it was a bargain!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2823 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If you want a great bargain in a double, take a hard look at a Chapuis. I have little 9.3X74R and it is a joy to handle and shoot, just like a little 20 gauge side-by-side shotgun. Dale Nygaard at Heirloom Arms lists a .375 flanged for around $7500 depending on the Euro. I am really looking hard at a Chapuis 8X57 JRS O/U.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy458:
When talking about double rifles, bargain is a relative term... Having said that, there are 3 double rifles in the DSC Convention auctions and this year there is online bidding available, so you do not have to attend to bid. There is a VC in .470, a Searcy in .470 and a Blaser 2 barrel set (.470 and .375 H&H).
Karl

Do you know what they sold for?

thanks

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine bid on the Searcy but did not get it. He told me it sold for a final price of $12K, which is close to what Butch would charge you to build the rifle if you ordered it.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bigguy 458 - glad you got the VC. I am also glad to have been there to see you "negotiate" the bargain! Wink

Never follow a bad move with a stupid move.

Posts: 217 | Location: Clute, TX USA | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was at the DSC convention and looked at and handled a LOT of double rifles. Of those in the $10K price range - Heym, Kreighoff, Chapius, etc. I think the Varney Carron was head and shoulders about the rest. Their round body PH boxlock was a sweet handling gun and seemed very well executed. That said, I have not shot one, and do not know how well regulated they are (other than targets they showed me, which, of course, were good). If I were in a position to buy a double rifle in that price range, the VC is what I would buy (for it's worth).

Ellis450

Posts: 45 | Location: United States | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ellis:
I was at the DSC convention and looked at and handled a LOT of double rifles. Of those in the $10K price range - Heym, Kreighoff, Chapius, etc. I think the Varney Carron was head and shoulders about the rest. Their round body PH boxlock was a sweet handling gun and seemed very well executed. That said, I have not shot one, and do not know how well regulated they are (other than targets they showed me, which, of course, were good). If I were in a position to buy a double rifle in that price range, the VC is what I would buy (for it's worth).

Ellis,

I've had four Verney-Carron doubles - 375Fl, 450/400 and two 600NE. All shot extremely well and at least as good as the supplied test target. My 375 recently took a leopard and the 600 an elephant.

I have also owned a few other doubles and would add Chapuis as a good double at a great price point. My Chapuis 9.3x74R was a dream and I will soon have one in 30R.

I am also a big fan of Heym doubles particularly the Jumbo in 600NE.

Good luck and if you do go with a Verney-Carron, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interested: The V-C sold for 9K, the Blaser for 23K and the Searcey for 12.5K.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigguy458:
Interested: The V-C sold for 9K, the Blaser for 23K and the Searcey for 12.5K.

Many thanks. Somewhat surprised the VC did not go for more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
interested: I need to make a correction: the Seacey went for 12K, not 12.5K. I picked up the V-C today and it is sweeet!

Karl

Karl Evans