New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 crossing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a new to me 9.3x74 in an older Heym sxs. I went to the range with several boxes of different factory ammo from 232gr, 258gr, and 285gr since I was unsure what the rifle is regulated with. All of the ammo crossed, badly (about 3" at 25yds - yeah, I know it's short distance but what I had available for a quick check of a new rifle.). I know that I need less velocity. Any way to guess how much less velocity I'm needing? I assume there are too many variables in play. I see that the Norma data has 325gr loads in the 1900s fps range. Hoping not to have to go to that heavy of a bullet. Also considered trying different powder speeds. Hoping normal weight bullet starting loads will get me there. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If I were in your shoes...
I'd pick the bullet style and weight you want.
Next, pick the powder you want to use.
Then, a large rifle magnum primer.

Load 4-6 rounds at a velocity you know is way too slow. It should print wide on the target.
Begin increments to increase powder and watch the target holes come together until you have an acceptable group.

If the grouping is not to your satisfaction or if the velocity is too slow for your good target, then send the rifle off to be regualted with the load you want.

If the factory ammo is not working for you, pull the bullets and use the brass and develop the load that does work for you.

Good luck. Should be an easy solution.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
How old is the rifle? Heym may be able to help if it is not too old.

My Demas 470NE was made during the transition of acquisition by VC and no records are available even for 2006!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentleman. Good advice. Not sure of the age. No import marks either. Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Load 4-6 rounds at a velocity you know is way too slow. It should print wide on the target.Begin increments to increase powder and watch the target holes come together until you have an acceptable group.

Exactly! My .405 is regulated for Hornady factory 300 grain @ 2225 fps.
I wanted to shoot 400 grain ammo also and did just what Cal recommended and eventually have it regulating 400 grain ammo at 2050 fps!
Wunderbar!

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kynoch:
Thanks gentleman. Good advice. Not sure of the age. No import marks either. Thanks again.

See, Kynoch, Its easy once you ask a person who knows how double rifles work like Cal Pappas!
………………………………………………………………………... tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote