New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with Merkel Muzzle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've found a used Merkel .470 online. The dealer sent me pictures. Any idea what these marks are on the muzzle/crown? Thanks in advance.

Merkel Muzzle

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dremel? Eek.

Someone tried to alter impact point.

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
No logical explanation.
If it still shoots well and is cheap enough, buy it. Otherwise stay away unless the owner can tell you to your satisfaction.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
No logical explanation.
If it still shoots well and is cheap enough, buy it. Otherwise stay away unless the owner can tell you to your satisfaction.
Cal

Alas, it's at a gun shop, so I doubt they will let me try it, and it's unlikely the previous owner is around to explain.

Posts: 82 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
You won't buy a used car without a test drive. The same is valid for a second hand double rifle, considering we're dealing at comparable price levels...

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ontario Nimrod:
I've found a used Merkel .470 online. The dealer sent me pictures. Any idea what these marks are on the muzzle/crown? Thanks in advance.

Merkel Muzzle

I have a Merkel 470NE Safari double rifle and I took mine out of the vault to look at its muzzles. I found no such marks on it. My rifle is about 10 yrs old but is clean as a pin. The marks in the picture you posted the link to may have been made by storing the rifle barrel down on a hard surface. If you can look at the rifle in person look at the marks to see if the cross mark is solder oozed out when the bottom rib was installed and the marks not filed smooth. ……OR the rifle may have been re-regulated at some point and not cleaned up properly. I would insist on being able to fire the rifle with factory ammo to check regulation, with a promise of my money back if it doesn’t regulate.
...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Ask them to test fire it for you & show you the target,it could simply be a little corrosion or rust? & can easily be removed with some fine steel wool.As Cal said if the price is cheap enough it might still be worth buying it & taking a chance.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

Merkel Muzzle

I have a Merkel 470NE Safari double rifle and I took mine out of the vault to look at its muzzles. I found no such marks on it. My rifle is about 10 yrs old but is clean as a pin. The marks in the picture you posted the link to may have been made by storing the rifle barrel down on a hard surface. If you can look at the rifle in person look at the marks to see if the cross mark is solder oozed out when the bottom rib was installed and the marks not filed smooth. ……OR the rifle may have been re-regulated at some point and not cleaned up properly. I would insist on being able to fire the rifle with factory ammo to check regulation, with a promise of my money back if it doesn’t regulate.
...................................................................... old

Good advice. My first thought was that this was evidence that it had been re-regulated, but what the heck do I know?! Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
Ask them to test fire it for you & show you the target,it could simply be a little corrosion or rust? & can easily be removed with some fine steel wool.As Cal said if the price is cheap enough it might still be worth buying it & taking a chance.

Another good suggestion. Thank you. I know it's all relative, but I don't think $9K is cheap enough to take a chance on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Bll73 stated above steel wool will probably do the trick and I would also think it was possibly stored barrels down to get that type of mark. All the more reason to shoot it first, if it was re-regulated this rifle might have been transformed from semi-good accuracy to very good accuracy. I have had my Merkel 140 re-regulated but I had JJ Perodeau in OK do the work and he is one of the best IMO. If you can pick this rifle up for a great price, JJ is charging 750.00 US for a re-regulation and its regulated to the ammo you desire to shoot out of the rifle other than some obscure Norma or RWS ammo that's expensive and hard to find.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

Another good suggestion. Thank you. I know it's all relative, but I don't think $9K is cheap enough to take a chance on.

NO! 9K$ for a Merkel with issues is way too high. Half that is fine. Be patient and shop around.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
NO! 9K$ for a Merkel with issues is way too high. Half that is fine. Be patient and shop around.
Cal

If the 9K is in Canadian or US dollars, I agree with Cal...'too high', I would think you can find one in the 6k-7k range.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
Cal

If the 9K is in Canadian or US dollars, I agree with Cal...'too high', I would think you can find one in the 6k-7k range.

It's $9K CAD. I've since found another for $10K CAD and another for $11K CAD.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Those marks look like rust from flux seeping out from the solder joint.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Those marks look like rust from flux seeping out from the solder joint.

I think so too. Thanks. Any thoughts on the line running between the 2 bores?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You do not want to see the inside rib area of soldered barrels. There is no way to keep them from rusting.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Buy this one instead:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...981/m/1551087812/p/1

I have nothing to do with this ad.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2329 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
Buy this one instead:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...981/m/1551087812/p/1

I have nothing to do with this ad.

Thank you, but I'm really hoping to find one in this country. Between currency exchange, shipping, duties, import charges and tax, it becomes quite a bit more pricey.