New
Find
Notify
Tools

CEB Loading
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a good shooting load for the solid in my 470NE I am wondering where I should start with the NonCon?

Solid load is using 110 Grains of H4831sc

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many on this forum have a lot more experience with the CEB's than I do but I've been told to use the same load for the non con as you do for the corresponding solid. I tried the 500 gr solids (CEB) and the corresponding non con with the same amount of powder and they shot into the same groups that the other bullet brands did. Left barrel was the same group and the right barrel group was the same with Woodleighs, Barnes and the CEB's

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
JTEX

I'd start with the same load actually. I assume you are using some sort of 500 gr Conventional, and what, the .474 NonCon is 460 or 470?? I don't keep up with .474 in the heavier bullets, I think 460 grs. Same load with the 460 NonCon will give much less pressure, probably be able to bump it up some, but can't hurt a thing to start out the same load.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Rick
Beat me by a minute! LOL.....

Hey Buddy!

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yep, same load. But you'll probably get more velocity out of the same load while using the CEB. At least, that's been my experience with them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding and thanks a bunch fellas.....I wasn't clear enough but the solid I am using is the BBW#13.

I'll use the same loads on the NonCons and see how they shoot.

Thanks again.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Outstanding and thanks a bunch fellas.....I wasn't clear enough but the solid I am using is the BBW#13.

I'll use the same loads on the NonCons and see how they shoot.

Thanks again.

In that case, then definitely the same load for the BBW#13 and Non-Cons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JTEX,

You will also need to do a few things to make loading the CEBs easier. First do not use an expander die when loading CEBs, you want as much neck tension as possible. Size and then just bell the mouth slightly. Seat bullet first and then do your crimping in a separate operation.

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch.

Ain't AR just a wonderful place!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
JTEX

The Very Best--My time is too valuable to hang around with idiots, The AR boys are
First Class!

And what Sam said too! Sam, I will be needing about 50000 lbs of those blueberries this year.

JTEX, same exact load as for the solids, should be in the same hole at 50 or damned close. Pressures are less with the NonCon--Weight equal Pressure---You can probably add a gr or two, if it does not screw with regulation--pressures will equal out. Just FYI--Regulation and POI are of the most importance--Something else, spend a dime on the Talon Tips that fit in the ends of those things--They Make a HUGE difference on impact velocity, and in addition to that, a huge difference in depth of penetration, and terminal performance overall.

Now, back to Blueberry shine and shooting on the range-=_Perfect Combination I reckon!

M

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Michael, Sam and Todd

Just did my final shooting and loading for my upcoming safari with Nixon (SSG Safaris). I use the same charge of RL15 for both the solids and non cons. Unless Nixon advises that I bring a smaller gun, it will be an all Verney-Carron and CEB hunt. .577 and .500. It's all good... Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,
I'm sure you and Nixon will be happy with the results of the CEBs. So you going for elephant I guess? Those two guns will more than handle the job!

Sam

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Michael, Sam and Todd

Just did my final shooting and loading for my upcoming safari with Nixon (SSG Safaris). I use the same charge of RL15 for both the solids and non cons. Unless Nixon advises that I bring a smaller gun, it will be an all Verney-Carron and CEB hunt. .577 and .500. It's all good... Big Grin

Excellent combo - won't be under-gunned for anything you might come upon and there ain't no such thing as "over-gunned" just like an animal can never be "too dead".

Best of luck on the upcoming safari and stay well.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
Michael, Sam and Todd

tu2 Sounds like a great plan!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second what the crew has stated----same load for both. I'm at 108 gr of the 4831 stuff. DD, good luck w/Nixon. He does not favor the DR's. Tell him that Skip said "Howdy" and also be prepared for a real political discussion. He loves that topic and very up to date on topics.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
Rick
Beat me by a minute! LOL.....

Hey Buddy!

M

It was probably just because you're older than me and still tired from DSC. jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Rick

Don't be picking on your elders, you were raised better than that!

hilbily

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yassir. sofa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep! You where all right.

Same spot with the solids and the "softs"

Thanks again.

Elephant and Buff here I come!

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Yep! You where all right.

Same spot with the solids and the "softs"

Thanks again.

Elephant and Buff here I come!

JTEX

Excellent! I had a sneaking suspicion that "Bearing Surface" and "Length" of bullet had more to do with same POI than weight. The two BBW#13s Solid/NonCon have proved that over and over and over again, bolt, double, single, lever, caliber, cartridge, all the same. Never once has this combination not shot to the same POI that I know of in anything. Not too long ago one or two of the experts told me that weight was more important, that they just did not believe me--Oh Well....... You see, and you know, the HP NonCon is the exact same bullet as the solid, may have had a tiny bit added or subtracted to get to a dead even weight, but other than that same. In other words, lets say you put the HP in a 500 gr solid, it comes to 452, might take that two grains off, or add 3 grs to get to either 450 or 455, other than that, same exact bullet as the solid--has to shoot same POI, same bearing, same length.

Good for you!

Michael

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
In my Verney=Carron 450, I get about a 1" group or maybe a bit more at fifty yards with the 450gr CEBs with an MV of around 2200. With the solids which weigh more, I get 2140 and about 2.5" at the same range. The extra velocity holds true to form and tightens up the groups.
Currently using 100gr H-4831 for both and it's pretty close to case capacity, but I might try a grain or two more with the solids in an attempt to plus up MV and thus tighten the groups.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote