THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Extra barrel set in .30R Blaser?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Extra barrel set in .30R Blaser?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys!

Beeing new to doubles and DRSS I seek your advice about these wonderful guns!

As you may have noticed I recently purchased a Krieghoff Classic in 8x57IRS! I really love it already!! It handles just like an extension to my arms!! Big Grin

I am planning on using it for almost everything from roedeer to wildboar here in Scandinavia. In my mind the caliber is perfect for hunting in dense forrest and for driven hunts!

The other day I got a tip about a practically new set of barrels in .30R Blaser which I may be able to obtain for a very low price!! Dirt cheap that is, if the estimate I got is right!!

I am curios about this caliber and I was thinkin about using this set for more stationary hunts in open landscape. Mostly for the Scandinavian doedeer but other species as well.

These calibers are almost equal in size but the .30R Blaser seems to have a flatter trajectory and I belive the .30R Blaser has a little bit more punch when shooting at a distance. The set is supposed to be a real shooter so I am not worried about the precision.

So I need some input please!

Is it to similar to the set I already have or should I go for it?? The 8x57IRS I have shoots really well and I could just buy another scope for longrange shooting. I have a 1,25-4x20 mounted on the 8x57IRS today.

To make things worse!! For just a little bit more cash I can get a nice used Kipplauf or even a combination gun or drilling! So decision is hard!!

It is often said that doubles are only useable for driven hunts and close up shots but the Krieghoff Classic is easy to regulate so it shouldn´t exclude long range hunting up to aprox 150-180 meters?? Or??

When spending a lot of dough on a rifle I want to use it a lot and I can´t really see any real disadvantages compared to a boltrifle! I don´t mind carry a little bit more in weight and the sheer joy of carresing a double is second to none!! jumping

So please hit me with the hard true facts of life!! Wink

What is your opinions??

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of comments, which I hope will help you.

First of all, I don't think you can't just buy a set of barrels and fit them to your existing double - they will need to be fitted by the factory, or at least a very competent gunsmith, to ensure that they headspace correctly.

Secondly, even though the second set of barrels might be a good deal, I don't think that the difference in performance between the 8x57 and .30 Blaser, at the ranges we are talking about, is great enough to justify spending any real money. If the total cost of the barrels, and the gunsmithing, is still cheap then go for it, but be careful that the hidden costs don't turn it into an expensive exercise.

Any well regulated scoped double can easily be used at ranges up to 200 yards, and possibly a bit further. I have taken deer with my scoped 9.3x74R out to 200 yards with no problems.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Of all the game I've taken with my 8x57jrs double rifle most has been under 125 yards.

I did have a need one time to shoot a bull caribou that my hunting partner wounded.

The bull was 240 yards out and he droped with one shot from my 8MM.

I guess that proves that a double will work in a pinch at long range and so will the 8X57.

That shot was with 196 RWS bullet. If your rifle will shoot a lighter faster bullet I see no reason for the set of .30 barrels. But then again it's hard to turn down a good deal and that may be all the rason you need.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!! beer

Well I think I´ve already decided in your favour but it is always good with a second opinion!

If the estimate I got is right then it is way below half the price of a new one! And the set is only fired less than 30 rounds!!

And yes I know the set has to be "oversized" compared to my action. So if any work is needed they do it on the barrel set. If I were to buy it I would let the Krieghoff people check it first!

Here where I live we have the licensed Krieghoff dealer of Norway and these guys know what they are doing for sure. And I got the tip from them!!

I will check if the price is as low as they told me but I´ll probably turn down the deal just as well. It is to close to what I already have! I think! Roll Eyes

Would be fun with another set in .30R Blaser but it would be another story if I had a 9,3x74R or biggger caliber from the beginning.

But thats not happening since I have a single trigger!!

quote:
But then again it's hard to turn down a good deal and that may be all the rason you need.

OH YES!! THAT IS TRUE!!

I´ll let you know what happens!

Thanks!

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the other posters there is a lot of overlap between the 8MM and the 30R.

However a good deal is a good deal.

Still for a little more money I would rather have a nice Kipplauf, or a drilling.

Also why would a single trigger keep you from getting a 9,3x74R bbl?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2!!

My mistake! A 9,3x74R is OK with the single trigger! But it is way to close to the 8mm I have.
The Krieghoff guys told me a 375 Flanged would work fine as would the other Big Five calibers in 470 and up. But the factory doesn´t guarantee the work because of the risk of doubling the shots!

And to change the single trigger to a double is way to pricey! Around 1500 buckakroos or the equivalent in Norwegian kronor.

Take that price and add the price of a new set of barrels and I could just get me a new double!

Plus I have my eyes on a Blaser K77 in the same .30R caliber for just a little more so we´ll see!

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim
I consider the 8mm to be in the same class as the 308, and the 30-06.

The 9,3x74R is a big step up, in the same class as the 375,s.
I have used the 9,3 quite a bit even on giraffe cape buff and elephant, with perfect results.

I think your 8mm and a 9,3 would be a great set of bbls.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote