THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    New Guy Here. I'm SxS Myself.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Guy Here. I'm SxS Myself.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally got my first double. Saturday I picked up a NIB USSG Baikal MR221 30.06. Once I strip all the "10 year rust inhibitor" goo off of her I will post some pics. Any tips or tricks would be welcome as I'm used to shooting Glocks and AK's.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard.
I had a 45-70 and enjoyed it. The big muzzle cap on the end, you can fine tune the regulation using .001-.002" shim stock. Top and bottom, left and right.

Rich

PS: considering showing where you are from, you might find a "neighbor" here to get together and shoot with. Part of the fun here

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just installed an Ultradot on my 30 06 Baikal today. Shooting 220 grain Hornady Interlocks in front of 55 grains of H4831 gave me only 2,200 fps at the muzzle.
Shot 8 shots at 50 yards, 4 from each barrel. Group size for all 8 shots was 1.75 inches. Recoil is getting brisk but plan on upping the powder charge and trying it again.
Next step is to get the triggers adjusted, although they are starting to smooth out a good deal.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:

PS: considering showing where you are from, you might find a "neighbor" here to get together and shoot with. Part of the fun here

Roger that. Made the change but it isn't showing up yet. I'm in NE Ohio.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
Hizzie,

Where? I am NW of Warren. I have both the 45/70 and the '06 Baikals. The 45/70 is a work in progress. The '06 is still unfired and will stay that way for now.

VERY nice range down our way at the Farmington State Wildlife Area.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm near Akron.

Cleaned her up and took some pics.

Yup, an AKM front sight.

Bear Mountain Rogers Rangers Spike Hawk

Grayman Knives Dinka w/Gator Grips

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. That looks much more honest gun than the Sabatti. I can get that in 45/70 for $700 bucks. Eeker Who sells these?

I though these were awful looking O/U guns!

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
Hmmmm. That looks much more honest gun than the Sabatti. I can get that in 45/70 for $700 bucks. Eeker Who sells these?

I though these were awful looking O/U guns!

They are going for $1K on GB and GA. The dealer I found this at doesn't know what the internet is. The 45-70 only takes standard pressure loads.

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just perused GA and GB. I found the O/U but no sxs rifle. I recently saw a new O/U on a dealer shelf, I will inquire next time I am in that neighbor hood about sxs availability. They also list under Remington, I think I heard the marriage broke up. But thinking this was about those O/U - I did not pay attention. Anyway, my opinion of Remington as a company is pretty much in the toilet these days, as it seems is their product quality. This has to be better for Baikal, not to be associated with Remington. Without big brother, they might take pride and strive for improvements.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Compared to the two Baikals I own the wood on yours is simply stunning!

Fourbore, the 06's pop up on Gunbrokers on a regular basis but the 45-70s are scarce.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
I just perused GA and GB. I found the O/U but no sxs rifle. I recently saw a new O/U on a dealer shelf, I will inquire next time I am in that neighbor hood about sxs availability. They also list under Remington, I think I heard the marriage broke up. But thinking this was about those O/U - I did not pay attention. Anyway, my opinion of Remington as a company is pretty much in the toilet these days, as it seems is their product quality. This has to be better for Baikal, not to be associated with Remington. Without big brother, they might take pride and strive for improvements.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=162896445

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=163136573
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=162473621

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
45/70's are somewhat of a fart in a windstorm. The batch of Remington/Spartan/Baikal 45/70's appeared and disappeared with remarkable speed. Last one I saw new sold for about twice what a 30/06 goes for. I am not sure any non-Remington marked Baikal side-by-sides in any caliber have appeared in the US.

Yeah, they are fenceposts, but they are still double rifles that cheap Bozo's like me can afford. Let us live our dream.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sgt Brown,

no flies on the 45-70's. I only sold mine to finance a Chapuis 9,3x74R. I got a Searcy .470 NE earlier, so it was surplus to my needs. A friend bought his about the same time I got mine, and immediately rechambered to 45-100 2.6" case. 520gr cast at 1600fps and four shots under 3" at a hundred yards. Also killed a nice Bull Elk last fall.

List yours for sale here and see how long it lasts.

minutes...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snowwolfe,

Looks like I need a lesson someday in searching those classifieds. Thanks

Is the 45/70 model also be called a "Remington MR221" ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure, but some vendors will list them as Remingtons, some as Baikals, and some as SPR's.

9 months ago they couldnt give them away as everyone said they were junk. Then people started buying them and actually shot them. The rest is history.

Plans for mine were to be used as back ups for really bad weather. It is one thing to worry about rust on a 10K or higher rifle, but not much of a worry on a $600 rifle. But then I started working on it and discovered how accurate it is and easy to regulate for any load put through it.

Wished I would of bought a couple more when they could be had for $600. But the O/U's command a lower price. Just picked up one a couple of months ago for about $450 but havent shot it yet.

One thing, the SxS will either require new iron sights or a scope (red dot) as the comb is very high. Or sand down the comb. The O/U has a lower comb and the stock irons can be used, but they are pretty useless.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Brown:
45/70's are somewhat of a fart in a windstorm. The batch of Remington/Spartan/Baikal 45/70's appeared and disappeared with remarkable speed. Last one I saw new sold for about twice what a 30/06 goes for. I am not sure any non-Remington marked Baikal side-by-sides in any caliber have appeared in the US.

Yeah, they are fenceposts, but they are still double rifles that cheap Bozo's like me can afford. Let us live our dream.

Tom

Mine actually lacks any Remington markings (gun or box) and makes no reference to Remington in the literature.

The comb isn't really a problem for me as I am used to wire folding stocks on my AK's.

I've seen a few O/U's around in .308. Price was $450-500. The SxS just looks right to me.

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RANGE REPORT

OK. Finally got down to the farm for some shooting. Were were out of standard bullseye targets. Since I had read that barrel regulation can be hit or miss with the Baikals I set the target up at approx 25M. I was using some 1978 vintage Greek M2 ball.

Target at 25M. Braced kneeling position, no sling. 3 shots each barrel. I aimed at the center of the 8.5x11" piece of paper.

That is good enough for me! None of us had any trouble hitting targets of opportunity inside of 100M. Only problem was that the barrels got damn hot. :evil:

I obviously need to do more shooting for groups with different hunting loads but I was more interested in having fun Friday.

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

One of Us
posted Hide Post
just bought a remington sxs in 45-70 off gun broker. it was only on for a few minutes for buy now. i have 3 other sxs rifles and thought this one would be fun. ill let you know when it arrives. jp sauer .43 spanish - pedersoli 45-70 lefever side lock 30-40 krag