Find
Notify
Tools

Which caliber??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello gents,
As a rifle nut I have more than I need, but figure life is too short not to have a good double to round out my battery and I just want one!. I just had an exquisite 416 Taylor built by Roger Green and have no desire to thump jumbo. I do have a desire to shoot a cape and kudu b/4 I go. So w/ the 416 Taylor in my battery, what caliber(s) should I consider for a dark continent trip. I'm also blessed w/ Tx hogs for practice targets and dbl training. I reload everything so factory only ammo is not an issue.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
.450/.400 or .375 Flanged.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400 caliber. .410 diameter shoots 210 grn pistol

bullets up through 400 grn high quality rifle bullets

from a number of manufacturers. The 3" brass costs

less from HORNADY than the 3 1/4" brass. I think if

you are buying new, 450/400 3" at under 10 pounds is
darn near ideal for your buff-n-stuff safari. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400 and BigFiveJack said it well.

Light bullets for Hog hunting if you want, heavy bullets for Africa.

I have a number of guns in both calibres and although you have plenty of bullets weights for 375 Flanged Magnum
and it's not difficult to get them all to shoot to the same POI, good brass is a real pain to find for the 375 Fl Mag.

So that is another reason to go for 450/400.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
450/400

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
What they said!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 With detachable scope

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 500 or 577. your 416 will cover all the bases. You don't need anything so you might as well go whole hog and have a real conversation piece.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
One more vote for the 450/400NE 3", if you are intending to shoot Cape Buffalo and other large animals anyplace like Alaska's brown bears. The 450/400NE 3" will take care of business in Africa, but is fine for the USA as well. For a first, and maybe only double rifle the 450/400NE 3" would be my choice. thumb For a first double rifle I wouldn't buy larger than a 450NE 3 1/4" you may find you don't like doubles after getting one, and if you don't call me, I like them all! jumping

For the North America a fine little double chambered for 9.3X74R with a detach scope is the nutts!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting a .416 Taylor, I would pick the .500/.416 NE. It will give you the same ballistics as your .416 Taylor and you can use the same bullets.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aliveincc:
Hello gents,
As a rifle nut I have more than I need, but figure life is too short not to have a good double to round out my battery and I just want one!.----- have no desire to thump jumbo. I do have a desire to shoot a cape and kudu b/4 I go. So w/ the 416 Taylor in my battery, what caliber(s) should I consider for a dark continent trip.---------- I reload everything so factory only ammo is not an issue.

Traditionals:
Base --9.3X74, .375 Flanged
Middle-- .450/400
Mid-heavy -.450, .470, .475, .476, .500 etc
Heavy --.577

I also vote the .450/400 as a "all around",
though I have lots of fun with the 9.3.
The .500 was my pick in the Mid-Heavies.

If I wanted one strictly for Texas a 7X57R, 7X65R, .30R Blaser or an 8X57R would get the nod. (just don't tell my 9.3 I said that----jealous Wink )

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. After studying these pages I understand that opinion vary, but can I go wrong w/ a Searcy? I appreciate good customer service-esp now days--and like me rifles accurate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With your 416 Taylor, you are set for Jumbo...even if you don't want to hunt one.

The 450/400 suggestions are right on track, but I think you would be equally well severed by a sweet little 9.3x74R SxS.

Good enough for anything in Africa and flexible enough for anything in the US...including Texas! beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys. After studying these pages I understand that opinion vary, but can I go wrong w/ a Searcy? I appreciate good customer service-esp now days--and like me rifles accurate.

Fit is critical for you to enjoy your DR so make sure you shoot a Merkel, Heym, Searcy, Chapuis, etc. before you take the leap.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highbrass
posted Hide Post
If you are buying a new rifle fit will not be a problem with the searcy as it made for you... I believe that is also true of the heym and can be accomplished as well with the other. Butch's customer service is excellet... And whatever caliber you choose the fit of the rifle will make a huge difference in your enjoyment at the range and afield. Good luck and have fun with the search

"Anything he did not accomplish as a pupil was my failing as a teacher" Max you will be missed Aug-02 1999; May 20, 2008

Posts: 119 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 15 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 375 Flanged Searcy, and a 500 NE on lay away with Butch. Last Father's day I went to Butch's with a friend to look at and contemplate an order of one of his doubles.

After showing me throughout his shop, he took us out to his shooting range and let us shoot several rounds through a 470NE and a 450/400 3" double rifle.

He then took us to lunch and returned and talked about doubles and fine rifles for the entire afternoon.

He spent over six hours with us on a day that he most likely would have liked to spend with his family, and after looking at numerous doubles at several conventions, Searcy's imho offer the most for quality, craftmanship and accuracy then any other rifle in this price catagory.

In these days of poor customer service, Butch's quality of his rifles and customer service are a breath of fresh air. He will work with the customer on his order and back his product 100%.

Will be ordering a 450/400 3" as soon as other rifles are built and it will be a Searcy.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In this order

450/400
one of the 375's

I like Heyms

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come to the Hoot & Shoot in Houston in October. I'm sure there will be a number of doubles to sample. If I had a .416, I'd consider a .470, but what others have said about a .450/.400 makes a lot of sense if ele's aren't on the menu. Consider this -- I never thought I'd hunt elephants either, until I bought the double and now it's imperative.

By the way, my .470 has turned hog hunting in South Texas from a chore to something I really look forward to. It's great chasing them through the thick stuff until you get a shot.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
lavaca, I am planning to try to get to the Hoot $ Shoot. I got me hunter's safety cert at bayou rifles many years ago.I would like to shoot a 9.3 x 74 in both a Merkel & Chapius. Would also like to try the K-gun. I understand the hog thing. They make great targets and eat pretty well also.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello gents,
As a rifle nut I have more than I need, but figure life is too short not to have a good double to round out my battery and I just want one!. I just had an exquisite 416 Taylor built by Roger Green and have no desire to thump jumbo. I do have a desire to shoot a cape and kudu b/4 I go. So w/ the 416 Taylor in my battery, what caliber(s) should I consider for a dark continent trip. I'm also blessed w/ Tx hogs for practice targets and dbl training. I reload everything so factory only ammo is not an issue.

Just reread this. I've never heard anyone owning a ranch or farm claimed to be "blessed" with feral hogs. Maybe I'm assuming you're the owner of either a ranch or farm et.al. I have a step dad that owns a ranch in the panhandle and the hogs have only made it up there in the last five years. It was a "blessing" for me, but I get the impression he thinks otherwise because he not only lets me slaughter them by the dozens, he encourages it.

Maybe, you just really like shooting pigs. If that's the case, God Bless.

To reiterate my suggestions to stick on topic:

450/400 3", then 3 1/4"
9.3x74r
375 flanged, or yes, the standard 375 H&H.
(318 could be tough too)

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote