THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Churchill double 450 bpe for nitro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Churchill double 450 bpe for nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted
Good Afternoon Folks:

I stumbled across a beautiful Churchill double rifle in 450 bpe with barrels sleeved in the 1920's to a diameter of .458" The gunsmith told me the gun is capable of shooting nitro loads but it has not been proofed for said nitro loads.

The wood is gorgeous, metal work is beautiful.

Asking price is $6,000. Canadian, with dies and brass.

What say you? Is this a deal? Is there anything I should be aware of or cautious about?

Will post pics nextg time I get a look at it.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worth maybe 40% of that.

What do "re-proof" marks after sleeving tell you? What they tell you is what you can shoot in it.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That the rifle is “capable” of chambering and shooting full Nitro loads should not be construed as “should be” fired with those loads.
All that said gunsmith can guess is that the barrels are more modern steel and will not burst.
The fact is that after sleeving, the action frame and locking lugs are still the old parts that were designed and built for black powder or proper “Nitro for Black” loads.
As well, what if the original chambering were for a smaller cartridge? Without a look at the original proof marks on the barrel flats (if they are still there) you will not know.

$6000CAD is about $4500USD these days.....maybe a decent deal as a shooter if the rifle is truly in nice condition.

Reiterate: this is NOT a Nitro proved rifle.....it is and always will be a Black Powder Express.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What was its original chambering? I am not sure where if they still exist the Churchill records are. A picture of the barrel flats and their proof marks would be useful?

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
the gun was chambered for 450 bpe. The gunsmith says it was sleeved, not sure that is the right term, for 458 to bring the bore in line with the new diameter of 450; that being .458"

As I was told, the original diameter of 450 bpe was smaller than .458".

As for sleeving, the barrels have a very bright new looking liner. this liner or sleeve was supposed to have been put in in the 1920's.

Regards,

Carpediem

P.S. Transvaal: Why do you think it is only worth 40% of the asking price?

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpediem4570:
Good Afternoon Folks:

I stumbled across a beautiful Churchill double rifle in 450 bpe with barrels sleeved in the 1920's to a diameter of .458" The gunsmith told me the gun is capable of shooting nitro loads but it has not been proofed for said nitro loads.

The wood is gorgeous, metal work is beautiful.

Asking price is $6,000. Canadian, with dies and brass.

What say you? Is this a deal? Is there anything I should be aware of or cautious about?

Will post pics nextg time I get a look at it.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

Run! Simply because this rifle has the proper bore dia for the smokeless load in no way indicates this rifle is strong enough for a nitro load. As has been said, the frame and other parts are likely too soft for nitro loads. On the other hand even the black powder loads my not now regulate but if it will, it will simply be a new clean bore, and the .458 bullets with the black powder load may still regulate.

The price is very high even for the original BP double rifle that has not been tinkered with. If it will regulate properly with the BP load and the .458 bullets I wouldn't pay more than 3K U.S. for it.

I think this is a deal that has some potential problems that I would shy away from.

………………………………………………………... Eeker old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle has barrel “liners” versus “sleeving” then absolutely it should not be shot with modern Nitro Express loads.

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen for your time.

I am at an age now where I have enough common sense to listen to my gut. And my gut says walk away.

When my smith said it was lined or sleeved and not nitro proofed, my radar went up.

You gentlemen have confirmed my suspicions and a few other things to consider.

$6000.00 saved for another venture. thank you again.

Regards,

Carpediem

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has had the wok done as described it would be illegal to sell it here in UK if not then re-proved. So my suspicion is that if the work was done in the UK, yet it wasn't proved, that was because the person that did it feared it would fail.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote