New
Find
Notify
Tools

My $.02 on Chapuis
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my first double rifle. It is a UGEX Chapuis 9.3X74R.

Ken (www.kebcollc.com) was a great help in making the decision about which rifle to choose and easy to deal with during the course of the purchase. I also got a lot of valuable info from posters on this forum (thank you all).

I was able to shoot a 1 inch 2 shot 50 yard group off the bench with open sights using Norma factory ammo. The 286 grain oryx averaged 2260fps on my chronograph. Off the shooting sticks the groups were 2 to 3 inches. I think I can do better once I get it scoped.

The action is a little stiff to open like some others have posted here but I think it is getting easier the more I use it.

I really like shooting the Chapuis and can't imagine a better "entry level, affordable" double rifle. I think I may have a new addiction. I fear that future "fixes" may not be so affordable.

Scott

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Just beware - just one double gets awfully lonely all by itself. Pretty soon, you're going to have to find it another double to keep it company.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
mine didn't change any point-of-impact with a scope.... i'm using factory S&B 286 gr sp's... i get 2 1" groups at 50, about 1" apart, not crossing.... it'll loosen up after using it a bit, i've had a trigger job on mine, it sure is sweet!!! dancing

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
DrScott,
Sorry to hear of your addiction! Take 2 9.3x74R's at bedtime and buy a 450/400NE in the morning!!!!!
Oh yea! Welcome to the DRSS!!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You hit the nail on the head. Nearly everything else worth having will cost 50-100% more.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I agree I like my 9.3 Chapuis as well!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
9.3x75R's????

75R, not 74R, huh?

Retard.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
I guess his IS longer than mine..... Eeker

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
quote:
9.3x75R's????

75R, not 74R, huh?

Retard.

Now, Paul. let's not forget how "special" Doc is. Besides, some guys find the need to sneak a millimeter in whenever they can.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Is there some point to this sniping?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
Is there some point to this sniping?

Yes, there is.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member