Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel regulation?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted
I have sent three emails to Merkel(Germany)asking what load a Merkle 140-2 in 500 Nitro is regulated with? So far I have recieved the same answer from two diffrent woman there? The answer is 50 Meters. I didn't think I asked them at what distance? Am I losing my mind or what? killpc

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slider:
I have sent three emails to Merkel(Germany)asking what load a Merkle 140-2 in 500 Nitro is regulated with? So far I have recieved the same answer from two diffrent woman there? The answer is 50 Meters. I didn't think I asked them at what distance? Am I losing my mind or what? killpc

Call Merkel-usa and talk to their gunsmith - I forget his name, but with any question you ask he will be very helpful.

He had access to all the build records and was able to set me in the right direction in the first five minutes talking with him.

Just Call Merk-USA and tell them you want to talk regulation.

JDA

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Slider, I had a Merkel 140-2 in 500NE for some years. Took 3 elephant with that gun and it was a shooter for sure. Lionhunter now owns it.

In that rifle, I shot the 570gr TSX, 570 Barnes Banded Solid, 570gr CEB BBW#13 and Non-Cons. All with RL-15 and no filler. I also had a load using IMR 4007 SSC. I'd have to look up the IMR load for sure but the RL-15 was 97grs, worked up to of course. With the TSX, I used 94grs, all others 97.

The important thing is that gun shot well with whatever I fed it. It wasn't picky at all. I'd give those a try and see what you get. I never got around to the North Forks in my Merkel, but they shoot well in my VC now. I'm betting the NFs would regulate well also.

You should expect about 2100fps or so with the loads above. Fed 215 primers as well. If you can't locate RL-15, let me know and I'll dig out the 4007 grain numbers for you.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Mine was regulated with Wolgang Romey Ammunition shooting 570 gr Woodleigh softs. Mine was made in 2006. Most if not all at that time were regulated with WR ammo shooting Woodleighs.

Like Todds...mine shoots CEB's great!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36839 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
I just recently picked up a 140-2 in 500 NE. Not wanting to reload for it just yet, I put both factory loads of Hornady DGS and Barnes solids through it. Will do 1/2" grouping off the bench with irons and either load at 50 and 100. Doesn't seem too finicky.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
That's good news that it likes everything. I received another E-mail today and it states.

The most time we use Norma!

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote