New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light loads for .470 NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have begun putting together loads for a Chapuis .470 NE. There's a lot of great information for the heavy loads and some good stuff on 400 XTP's and cast bullets. I have some 325 gr Speer Deep Curl pistol bullets that I would like to load down for practice with the rifle, e.g., re-loading, moving targets, etc. Would love to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
labdad:
The 75 % rule seems to work in some doubles, but not all. Full powder charge with a bullet of 75% of the full weight OR full bullet weight and 75% of the full powder charge. I a few of my doubles this works OK and will give OK accuracy to practice with but perhaps not as good as the regulated load. AND, it may not work at all. Doubles are funny that way.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
labdad:

What does your .470 Chapuis weigh?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
labdad

With a 325gr bullet or a 400gr bullet in the 470 try a starting load of 50 gr of IMR 3031.
Use 12 gr of Dacron polyester filler

You can also try a starting load of 45 gr of IMR 4198. Use 12 to 14 gr of filler.
Make suerthe filler is compressed between the powder and the bullet.

WARNING:::WARNING:::

You MUST use a filler. It must be compressed.

Use polyester pillow stuffing, avialable at fabric and craft stores.

I am developing loads for a friends 470 with the Hornady 400gr XTP. The IMR 4198 loads shot low in his rifle, the IMR 3031 loads with 55 grains still shoot a little low so I am trying 50 grains next. This should raise the point of impact a few inches, so the load shoots to the sights.

These loads have very little recoil and are a pleasure to shoot. They have plenty enough power for deer and wild pigs.

My 75% rule works with most doubles.

You use the same powder charge that works with the full weight bullet, but use a bullet that weighs @75% of the regular bullet.

You might have to go up or down a grain or three, but I have yet to see a double that the 75% rule does not work.

In the 470, usually a 400 gr bullet will work.

In the 450's the 350gr Hornady RN works, in the 450/400's use a 300gr bullet.

These loads still have a little recoil, about 75% of the full power load, but are still more comfortable to shoot. In my 450 No2 and my 450.400 I have killed many deer and pigs with these loads.

As have several DRSS Members that have used them in their doubles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, thank you.

Dave, the rifle is not mine and it weighs about 10.4 pounds with the snap caps in her.

N E, Thank you very much. I tried a few 400 XTP's with 55 grains of A5744 yesterday with light crimp in the cannelure. Used 97 grains of H4350, no filler, with the 500 TSX and they were stout but accurate at 30 yards. Had the bullets seated all the way to just forward of the front band. No signs of pressure issues so far, but I fully understand the issues may not be readily apparent. Have never used a filler in any other cartridge but have been trying to consume the information posted here on other threads.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis loves the IMR 4831 108 gr topped with a 500 gr CEB. As far as shooting a light load, a would take advise from some that have already responded. I shoot full loads only. Just make me more confident and I do not blame any one for lighting up for lots of shooting.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
If you want a really light load, (almost no recoil at all), try Trail Boss. The starting load is as follows: Measure where the bottom of the bullet sits in the case on a properly seated cartridge. Fill the case to that line with Trail Boss and weight the charge. Multiply that number by 70% and that is your starting load. Max load is the point at which the Trail Boss load touches the bottom of the bullet without compression.

I've just stayed with the 70% load as it does everything I want in a reduced load, mainly allowing me to focus on trigger control and reloading technique.

A couple of words of caution. You can use Trail Boss with both jacketed and lead bullets but NEVER COMPRESS THE POWDER. Strange things occur when Trail Boss is compressed. You can use magnum primers but they are not necessary. NEVER USE FILLER WITH TRAIL BOSS as again, you do not want to compress it in any way.

Graham Wright locked up one of his doubles with Trail Boss but he was shooting a BPE, NOT a full Nitro gun. In addition, he was attempting to achieve original black powder velocities with Trail Boss, thereby using TB as a direct replacement for BP and compressed the load. Using TB in a full Nitro gun and using the 70% rule, never compressing the powder, you should have very little pressure and can expect velocities in the 1100 fps range. They may or may not regulate well but do offer a fun way to tame the big boys.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just tried the Trail Boss, interesting powder. Did not chronograph the speed but, as you said, experienced a near absence of recoil. It was actually fun! With the depth I seated the 400 XTP, I ended-up with a starting load of 29.5 grains. Thanks for the tip.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by labdad:
Just tried the Trail Boss, interesting powder. Did not chronograph the speed but, as you said, experienced a near absence of recoil. It was actually fun! With the depth I seated the 400 XTP, I ended-up with a starting load of 29.5 grains. Thanks for the tip.

Glad you enjoyed it. I like to use it for a couple of shots at the end of a full power session. Kind of like re-establishing your form with a 22LR after shooting the big boomers.

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Would the rifle come close to regulating with Trail Boss?

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 44 gr of 5744 with a 550 gr GC hard cast bullet in my 500 NE. This load regulates exactly as the full loads at 25 yards. At approx half the recoil it is great for practice.

No need for filler with 5744.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote