Notify
Tools

my Kodiak .450 no.2
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted
An update on some things I've done in the last few weeks:
An earlier thread of mine concerning my recent purchase of a Pedersoli Kodiak .45-70 from Dixie Gun Works---
I had stated that I was going to leave it as a .45-70, but after much thought on it, and coming to the conclusion that I may never be happy in my life if I left well enough alone, I decided to convert it.
Took about 2hrs tops, as I had originally estimated, and it was all done.
From the factory, the stock was in a lighter than preferred color, so I refinished it in English Red, with a formula I have consisting of no less that red food coloring. It turned out more beautiful than I had ever wanted.
Finished up a few burrs from the factory and was off to the range yet again, but this time with a full fledged nitro.
Here is where I was astounded. I did not even have to adjust my load.
It regulated at 50 yds. with 500gr. hornadys and 91grs. rl-15 and 7 grs of dacron filler.
And I'm talking PERFECT, in every sense of the word PERFECT, into a playing card with both barrels consistently with 20 rounds of ammo, until the barrels were too hot to shoot without my gloves which were not with me, even after taking 5 minute breaks for cooling.
Well, damn, I said. I either lucked out or must have done something good that I did not know I did.
So, off to hunting---first day out hog hunting:
no hogs that day, but as I was leaving for the long walk to the truck, a coyote came across at a range of a paced 100+ yds.----I nailed him offhand in the neck with the right barrel. That was it for him. But not for me, because I was happy that it was shooting right in the field and not just on paper.
So, after white-tail we went the 3rd of this month-opening day. 6-point at a paced 150+ yds. offhand, the 500gr. softnose plowed through from behind rear left rib and exited right shoulder. But this is where it's even more amazing: This was a running shot!!!
When I nailed him, I saw the 500 grainer blow dust on the other side of him, and I thought I had missed, as he had continued with good steam around a line of trees for another 25yds.
Found him lying right at the tree line out of sight, I'm amazed he got that far, which is testimony to the toughness of some white-tails.

So, long story short, I'm amazed, and have just mentioned yesterday to someone, that this is perhaps the most sweetest shooting rifle I've ever owned.

Recoil on game shots with it is almost non-existant, about like a .22---at the range it's a different story---but we all know that. I have a gift of not being able to feel recoil from game shots at all, but it's different with some people, and I truly must say that I believe it to be a matter of adrenaline and I wish everyone could be as recoil tolerant with game-shots no matter who they are.

I wanted to post this as an example of another pleased .450 no.2 user, and as a testimony to the chances of actually getting a good Pedersoli to do good if converted.

The hammers are not a problem and with practice it becomes instinct and is not given a thought when hunting. They are no hindrance and are just as effective as a hammerless and just as fast as any double needs to be in reality.

I'm sorry to say I'll not be able to answer any questions on all of this, as I'm leaving in the morning for another hunt for a couple of weeks, but, I did want to share this information, so that anyone wishing to do this conversion could have happy thoughts about doing so.
However, be aware, someone elses rifle may be different and not regulate.
But, still, I do not think it is something to be afraid of doing.
With that said, take care everyone, and I'll chime in again next year. Have a good Christmas!!

p.s.-
I tried the load of 95grs. of rl-15 and the 480 woodleighs, but the barrels spread or crossed erratically about an inch and a half at 50yds.
It likes the 500 grain bullet a lot better-and with this it is more consistent and accurate-with parallel groups from each barrel not crossing---either hornady or woodleigh.
By percentage of bullet weight to powder weight-I backed off to 91 grs. with the 500 grn bullet to approximate the same pressure load.---it worked too well, and this is the one and only load for this particular rifle.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yellowhammer
posted Hide Post
thumb...That's pretty neat...

Posts: 87 | Location: Eastern Texas | Registered: 13 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Walksfar, while I have read several times of the option you chose for your Pedersoli, yours is the first account I have read of just how good an option it is. What a great way to have a classic stopping rifle at an affordable price. You may have to take it to Africa, or Alaska, or somewhere else where big critters roam.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
PWN 375 founding member of the DRSS converted his Pedersoli several years ago and had the same success as you describe!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats sounds neat.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote