New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Merkel Questions??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The Merkel which I bought, I belive, is an older DR. It has the European style stock; it has a small, rectangular metal protrusion between the barrels which seems to be a protector for the crowns; it has very light engraving on the action and guard. It weighs 8pounds.

What model is it?? How can you tell if it has ejectors?? If it doesn't have ejectors, can they be added after the fact?? Where can one find snap caps for 9.3x74R??

I'd appreciate any information that you can provide. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it "klink" when you open it? Big Grin

Load it and open it, if the cartridge is ejected, you have ejectors...

midway

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
If it has ejectors the part that raises the cases out of the chamber when you open it should be split in the middle. If it is not seperated and raises both cases at the same time it would have extractors.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
If it has ejectors the part that raises the cases out of the chamber when you open it should be split in the middle. If it is not seperated and raises both cases at the same time it would have extractors.

But to find out if it raises both case at the same time, you have to fire one barrel since if the barrels are not fired ejectors raise the case at the same time as do extractors. So, on empty cases since you don't have snap caps, pull just one trigger. Open the rifle. If one empty case is ejected you have ejectors.

But another easy way is to look for the split as described. It should be readily identifiable. If you still don't know, take rifle down and hold one side of the lifter and push the other down. If the rifle is an ejector, one side will move, if not the must move together.

Jeez, this is clear as mud. Here is a photo of an ejector rifle, see the split in the lifter.

Wow, crappy photo. Still you can see the split. Hope this (crappy) picture is worth more than the words above it!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Kudude I believe it is 140 with extractors.

Here is mine:

Merkel 140

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by kudude:
The Merkel which I bought, I belive, is an older DR. It has the European style stock; it has a small, rectangular metal protrusion between the barrels which seems to be a protector for the crowns;

The metal protrusion is part of the regulation of the barrels, most ds manufacturers keep it to enable the end buyer to have the rifle reregulated more easily.

it has very light engraving on the action and guard. It weighs 8pounds.

What model is it?? How can you tell if it has ejectors?? If it doesn't have ejectors, can they be added after the fact?? Where can one find snap caps for 9.3x74R??

Ejectors are spring loaded, extractors are easily moved by hand in and out when the barrel is off the gun.

Best regards Chris

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys, for the info on the "regulator." It has extractors, no splits-no klings.

Can ejectors be fitted??

Thanks, again. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did a quick google and found this from Nu-Line on fitting ejectors to Winchestor Models 101 - 23 and 21.

Regards
--------------------------------------------

Winchester Model 101 - 23 Price
Furnish, install and fit front ejector connector with 2 piece style per barrel. $93.95
Furnish, install, and fit rear ejector with 2 piece style per barrel. $130.95
Furnish, install, and fit rear ejector 1 piece style per barrel. $150.00
Furnish, install, and fit both front and rear ejector 2 piece style per barrel. $195.90

Winchester Model 21 Price
Furnish, install, and fit ejector per barrel $250.00

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:
Ejectors are spring loaded, extractors are easily moved by hand in and out when the barrel is off the gun.

Best regards Chris

So are (most?, all?) ejectors, at least all of them on all of the ejector shotguns and rifles I have. My sample is two rifles and six shotguns.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where can one find snap caps for 9.3x74R??

A-zoom, NECG, ...

Proud DRSS member

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a thread on the gunsmithing forum about retrofitting ejectors to double rifles costs cited at from $1,000 to $5,000 (if Purdey does it!)

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really, so that you can move the ejector part freely when the riflebarrels are parted from the rest of the rifle?

Well but then one will have the sping set in the fore arm of the rifle, right, most noticebly, I think.

Ergo, if one spots large installments of springs in the forearm of the rifle it might have ejectors!

I hope you can forgive me for being a weee bit, crude in my wording, wanting to simplify things and explain something fairly easily in my second language.

Best regards Chris
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
quote:
Originally posted by Husqvarna M98:

Best regards Chris

So are (most?, all?) ejectors, at least all of them on all of the ejector shotguns and rifles I have. My sample is two rifles and six shotguns.

JPK

one of us
posted Hide Post
The springs aren't that bovious or noticeable when simply looking at the forearms, at least for my rifles and shotguns. (less obvious that on in the photo inb the link below.)

Here is a link:
http://www.hallowellco.com/ejectors_and_extractors.htm

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to tell if a double has ejectors or not is to simply look at the extractors. If they're split, it has ejectors. If not, it doesn't.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
With latest Merkel 140's even extractors are split - they move separately if you move them by hand when dismantled - I guess this feature make them ready to change into ejectors when ordering.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote