Find
Notify
Tools

heym 55b question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted
wich trigger on the heavy caliber heym55b is the top bbl?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:

The back trigger fires the top barrel.

The proper way is to fire the bottom barrel first on a O/U double rifle, the reason the bottom barrel is fired first is the O/U double rifle is stronger with that barrel than it is with the top barrel. This is because the bottom barrel is closer to the henge pin inline with the henge trunions that the barrels rotate around. Most O/U double rifle are fitted with single triggers, and that trigger is set to always fire the bottom barrel first, so this should be a clue as to the proper trigger to fire first with double triggers.

The barrel you fire first will be the barrel that will be fired far more over time that the barrel you fire second, so it is better to fire the barrel most that causes the least amount of strain on the rifle's action.

Of course you may fire either one you want on your rifle, for a special purpose like firing a different type of bullet that happens to be in the top barrel. All my doubles that are used on large dangerous game are loaed with a soft in the right barrel, and a solid in the left on a S/.S, and and the solid in the top barrel in a O/U with a soft in the bottom barrel for the first shot!

Hope that helps! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The professor speaks, the pupils listen!

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CRUSHER

I know that Chris, of Heym USA has a Mod 55 O/U in 450/400, 3" in stock. It is the Safari Grade.

It is one very nice double rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

The back trigger fires the top barrel.

The proper way is to fire the bottom barrel first on a O/U double rifle, the reason the bottom barrel is fired first is the O/U double rifle is stronger with that barrel than it is with the top barrel. This is because the bottom barrel is closer to the henge pin inline with the henge trunions that the barrels rotate around. Most O/U double rifle are fitted with single triggers, and that trigger is set to always fire the bottom barrel first, so this should be a clue as to the proper trigger to fire first with double triggers.

The barrel you fire first will be the barrel that will be fired far more over time that the barrel you fire second, so it is better to fire the barrel most that causes the least amount of strain on the rifle's action.

Of course you may fire either one you want on your rifle, for a special purpose like firing a different type of bullet that happens to be in the top barrel. All my doubles that are used on large dangerous game are loaed with a soft in the right barrel, and a solid in the left on a S/.S, and and the solid in the top barrel in a O/U with a soft in the bottom barrel for the first shot!

Hope that helps! coffee

Some people claim that firing the lower barrel reduces muzzle jump and allows you to get back on target faster. I haven’t fired anything larger in an over under than 9.3X74R. I couldn’t tell that much difference. Your experience may vary from mine. beer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thanks mac I use bottom first on my shotguns for the same reason but the triggers are selectable on them. my 7 x 57 o/u i ended up using top bbl first but that was a pure accuracy issue with a scope.

when I looked at the 55b before it was a single trigger gun and bottom first was fixed no choice did not buy it because of that . two triggers solves the problen but not super happy about chainging my mechanics this late in the game.

having fired enough through a over under to wear it to an unrepairable state moving to an extra trigger will suck

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks mac I use bottom first on my shotguns for the same reason but the triggers are selectable on them. my 7 x 57 o/u i ended up using top bbl first but that was a pure accuracy issue with a scope.

when I looked at the 55b before it was a single trigger gun and bottom first was fixed no choice did not buy it because of that . two triggers solves the problen but not super happy about chainging my mechanics this late in the game.

having fired enough through a over under to wear it to an unrepairable state moving to an extra trigger will suck

It is not a real expensive undertaking to have a single selective trigger fitted to the Heym! I certainly would not want a non-selective trigger on a big bore double rifle, and I’m really not enamored with a single trigger of any type on a double rifle, but in your case it may make sense. There is a passage in Taylor’s book about triggers on double rifles, that basically states the he didn’t like them. However he warned that if a single trigger is to be used it should be selective. Then warned that if the first shot was a dud, or a broken striker and the fight wasn’t over to have a working single shot in that rifle one has to remember to re-set the trigger to the top, or left barrel each time you re-load!
IMO opinion the draw-backs are not worth the taking a chance on forgetting something at a very inopportune time, so my personal choice is double triggers!
....................................................................... BOOM................................. holycow

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is an "older" Heym 55, witch I had tested for an german hunting and gun magazine.
It is and great rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here is the luxury version of the 55 with the "longer side-paltes" and the engraving in the style: English arabesc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is German styl of engraving (it is an 55 too).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typically germanic lock up system Smiler Built like a Tiger Tank, best

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bailey:
Typically germanic lock up system Smiler Built like a Tiger Tank, best

Including the hard KRUPP Stahl..

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

You can have it the way you like.
With side-plates (like here) or without.
With engraving, or middle (like here) or nothing or in black (ceracote).

But..., our good german steel is in every Heym.
:-)

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
thanks for the pictures and the information dr.fm

mac where can you get a single select trigger for these ?

I am shooting a 458 lott now I want something bigger what does there 500 look like in compairison?

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

One of Us
posted Hide Post
please no single trigger ! best, Mike

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bailey:
please no single trigger ! best, Mike

any reason why or just not what you like/tradition

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks for the pictures and the information dr.fm

mac where can you get a single select trigger for these ?

I am shooting a 458 lott now I want something bigger what does there 500 look like in compairison?

At Heym! Contact Chris Sell at Heym.USA ! He posts here as New Guy . His website in in his sig line on his posts!
www.heymusa.com

Right now he is exibiting at the SCI show in Las Vegas, But he can have the maker supply a single trigger for your rifle if they have a smith here in the USA to fit it, if not it will need to be sent to the maker for fitting.

However I agree with Baily Bradshaw, The double triggers are not hard to learn, and are far safer to you than a single trigger!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Crusher, if it goes wrong you are in trouble, you now have a 10 1/2lb baseball bat to kill your buffalo with ! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
yes its true if your rifle breaks and cant fire you are in a bad way whatever kind of rifle it is. after hunting with rifles with one bbl for 30 years I dont get too worried about it.

knowing how single selective mechanical triggers work helps to releve stress about this as well.

I will probably go with the two triggers as is unless they offer something better without a lot of hassle.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT