THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Trijicon RMR type 2 on double gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon RMR type 2 on double gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Watched an Australian hunt with Chris Sells (new-guy)
this morning. New type 2 RMR has red dots available down to 1 MOA Next size is 3.25 MOA.
I have and old rmr dual illumination which has an
orange dot of 7 MOA which covers a 12 inch bull
at 100 yds on my 450/400 NE 3". Impossible to pin
point target beyond 100 yd. Anyone using one of
these new rmr sights on their double??? Maybe
new-guy will chime in as to benefits and proper mounts for Heym doubles. Those of us with aging
eyes need some help from open sights as any shadows on open sights just really hurt my sight
picture. Any help appreciated.

Thanks and good hunting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 3.25 RMR2 on my .303 double worked very well this past August in Namibia. Took two Hartmann's zebra, two eland cow, two gemsbok and a jackal. Was comfortable with the reflex sight out to 150 yards. Do not believe the 1 MOA would be big enough, but am interested in comment from those who use that one.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
JJ just installed the Docter Optic 3.5 on my Evans 470.

He is shipping it tomorrow and I'll give some thoughts once I receive it.

Hated like hell to do it but I couldn't see the sights any longer.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one and love it.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1117 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:

I have three of these sights,mine are older & might be 4.0 moa,I use them on all my DR's,I have them in quick release mounts,in case of failure,but have never had a failure in the field yet,I love them,very quick on the target.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my 70+ eyes I can still use the iron sights at the range but I believe a Buff would die of old age while I tried to establish a good sight picture. That is the reason I used RMR sights on my Heym 88B 470NE and my new Heym 89B 450NE, I keep two pre-sighted and mounted sights for each rifle. I prefer the battery illuminated about 3 to 4 MOA diameter sight for the precision and adjustable illumination but also carry a dual illumination sight with the triangular presentation in case the battery fails. As I shoot the 450NE more I am thinking the dual illumination sight should be primary as you cannot forget to turn it on.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
quote:

I have three of these sights,mine are older & might be 4.0 moa,I use them on all my DR's,I have them in quick release mounts,in case of failure,but have never had a failure in the field yet,I love them,very quick on the target.

Have the Docter (3.5 MOA) on two, Trijicon on one (3.25 MOA I believe). The 3.5 MOA is as big as I would want to go. I've used a 2 MOA Aimpoint (H30L), and for me 2 MOA is just right.

I prefer the smaller Docter or RMR for doubles, and between the two I prefer Docter - clearer glass and less edge distortion. Both brands have been dependable for me. If going the RMR route, I would get one that auto-adjusts the dot brightness based on ambient light. That was my biggest complaint with the Aimpoint I used - making sure the brightness matched the conditions early and late.

It made world of difference this year in Zim when we got caught in the open with a herd of buffalo over 110-120 yards away. My son dropped a bull with a 450/400 double using a Docter sight.

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
UPS just dropped off the barrels for my 470.

I have to say I am very pleased with both how the sight looks as well as how the rifle looks with the sight off. JJ milled cuts into the sides of the quarter rib that are pretty unobtrusive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good!

Why do they make double rifle front beads so small Frowner

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Two out of three of my double rifles were built to shoot either iron sights, scopes or Trijicon RMRs. The Trijicon RMRs are 3.25 and perfect for me. Versatility is the name of the game for me. I wouldn't have it any other way. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
UPS just dropped off the barrels for my 470.

I have to say I am very pleased with both how the sight looks as well as how the rifle looks with the sight off. JJ milled cuts into the sides of the quarter rib that are pretty unobtrusive.
That looks great. Is that on your Evans .470?

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
That looks great. Is that on your Evans .470?

Yes, I plan on shooting it tomorrow.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post a picture or two of the red dot mounted when you can. I think that is an unbelievable feat of workmanship to pull that cut off on a 100 year old double and not compromise its integrity.

I’m sure to J.J. it is pretty minor but I think it is awesome.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Ive built a double for one gentleman and installed an RMR upon his request. It was the model with the upside down triangle reticle. I REALLY liked it.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1026 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sure make a difference for us with aged eyes! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I really like mine. I have a FastFire
II on my double. Very accurate and easy on these old eyes!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an RMR with the 3.25 dot on a 6.5 inch Model 29. It will stay inside of two inches at 100 yards from a rest. You need to practice using the dot, after that it is super fast and laser accurate.

Posts: 60 | Location: Texas | Registered: 20 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Rusty was one of the first that I know that put a red dot on his double, had to have been at least 10-12 years ago. I liked it enough to put one on my double and the Burris FF is small and unobtrusive and has held up well. Sure makes snap shooting a lot easier for old eyes!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Please post some pictures of how yours are mounted.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had Dustin Mounts drift out the wedge for the standing leaves. I made a new one and Dustin installed it on the Hollis. I still have the standing leaves if I need to remount them.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Trijicon 3.25 RMR on my Searcy 375 Flanged Double Rifle. I also have the same set up on my Searcy 450-400 Double Rifle as well. Allows for the utmost in versatility because you can use the iron sights, a scope or an RMR on the quarter rib that Butch installs on his double rifles. tu2

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
If the Good Lord wanted one of those contraptions on a double rifle, He would have inspired one of the English or Scottish makers to invent them in the Victorian era.
Just my two cents.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo Damn, you're funny Cal! Big Grin Let us know when your eyesight goes. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
rotflmo Damn, you're funny Cal! Big Grin Let us know when your eyesight goes. Big Grin

I'm 63 and the eyes have gone down hill. I wear glasses. And, the eyesight was the SECOND thing to go at old age!
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been looking at these units over the last while, seems to me the 2 or 2.5moa would be about right in my mind, I just have to figure out how I want to put it on there. One thing about having the Recknagle swing off base on that gun, is it gives me some options. I'm kind of leaning towards the Leupold at the moment.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
At 72 that Burris sight is the reason I can still shoot my 450/400. The first one of those I ever saw was at JJ's on a Dominion grade H&H.i was about to light my torch and yell "Heretic!", "Get a rope!" then I shouldered the rifle and was stunned at how easy it was to bring the rifle to target. No one likes chance, but change happens. Most of the time change is good and for the better!
My iron sight days are gone and like Shane, they aren't coming back!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a Fast Fire 111 for my Glock 10mm Auto. If I like it i will put a Red Dot on my 500.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
One advantage of the Burris FF is that it is much more compact and less obtrusive.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
If the Good Lord wanted one of those contraptions on a double rifle, He would have inspired one of the English or Scottish makers to invent them in the Victorian era.
Just my two cents.
Cal

I used to feel the way Cal does and all is well and good until you can't see the sights any longer. You then have four choices...relegate the rifle to the safe, sell it, scope it or try one of these.

I discussed it with Chris Sells before deciding to do it. His quote was "I'd run not walk to have it done".

I'm thrilled with my choice.

I also like the way JJ installed it. If it needs to come off, it unscrews with a slotted nut that you turn with a cartridge case rim. The installation doesn't impact the use of the sights.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 Well said. Like I pointed out earlier, I can use iron sights, a scope or the RMR with Butch's quarter rib system which is specifically made to incorporate all three. I had a PH in the BVC in Zim. whose eyes had gotten to the point that he couldn't use his irons sights on his bolt action back up rifle. I gave him my RMR as a gift and he had it mounted on his rifle. I saw him a couple of years later while hunting the BVC with another PH and he thanked me profusely for keeping him in the PH'ing business with his RMR mounted bolt action. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went out to get some bullets yesterday, looked at the sights in one shop, cringed at the price. Then I went to another place and they had the Deltapoint Pro 2.5 at about 300.00 less than the other place. About 350.00 US. So, today I took it back to the first place as they have the gunsmith and the mount, and left the barrels and the sight and etc with him to see what he can come up with for way to mount it. If they had mounting holes inline with the rib, life would be a lot simpler. Or if I could get hold of a Recknagel H7 base around here. Still want to be able to co-witness the irons with it. I'd like to use a QD system, but, at the moment, haven't spotted an easy way to do that. Another project to experiment with.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

one of us
posted Hide Post
Putting a chunk of crap on a good double is akin to child molestation, its criminal!! Learn to shoot, be nostalgic or git a Weatherbly! sofa rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Love them-
Have them on DR's, Levers, AR's, Handguns, etc
Truly a benefit for old eyes.

And-- from working with youngsters-- even they appear to get on target and fire more quickly and with great hunting accuracy, in snap shot situations.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Putting a chunk of crap on a good double is akin to child molestation, its criminal!! Learn to shoot, be nostalgic or git a Weatherbly! sofa rotflmo

I reckon you are more than 100 years too late for that view Ray. I am sure it was first said when scope sights were first fitted to double rifles! Big Grin Except for that part about Weatherby's!

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Sound wisdom.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with 470Evans comments. At 73+ it would not be ethical for me to hunt with iron sight as my shot placement would be problematical. I still enjoy hunting with double rifles so optics of some sort (RMRs on my Heym 88B 470NE and 89B 450NE) are a requirement.

In addition to dangerous game hunting with a double rifle, Texas feral pigs are really a hoot to stalk with a double rifle. If you have a chance you should try this as it is excellent practice for dangerous game hunting.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anything that keeps these guns viable.

I bet in 20 years you’ll see a sub $20,000 Royal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it back from the gunsmith week before xmas, took it in on Sunday, got it back on Friday. Hair higher than I was hoping for, still see the sights in the bottom, bit lower than the scope. Try it and see if I like it or what. The 2.5 is a nice size, easy to find, small enough not to cover the quarry for quite a ways out. He made up a new insert for the rib and attached it to that. Deltapoint is a bit bigger than the RMR, but, it has a nice window, battery is easy access, 1 MOA adjustment seems huge, but, try it and see where it winds up, with the 30R, it can be 1-2" high at 100 and work just fine to point blank range on it.

Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 9.3x74 chapuis never impressed me wit a scope as far as the regulation went. I just got a base from willian Larkin and more and put a delta point with the triangle. I like the aim point. I could not get it sighted in , it was way high. I made a shim to put under the base I hope this gets me on. I like the sight pictures. If I can work out the bugs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know if you get a 4 or 5 moa dot. Use the top of the dot for fifty, center should be close at a 100 bottom may take you to 130.