THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    North America Caliber and Rifle choices?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North America Caliber and Rifle choices?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys, I have drooled over wanting a double rifle all my life and I am in need of some good advice.
I am very close to totally depleting my gun fund and ordering a double rifle. I live in Alaska so I do hunt the big critters such as moose and brownies every year. 95% of my shots are under 150 yards. I may hunt Africa again in my future if finances permit it but after being there once I have no desire to shoot a Cape buffalo and I probably couldnt afford to drop a tusker unless I win the lottery.
I would most likely scope the double if I purchased it and I do reload.
My choices are narrowed down to a Searcy PH in 450-400 or 375 flanged or a Chapuis in 9.3x74R.
The cost difference between the two is significant. The Chapuis will run about $5,000 and the PH $11,000 by the time both have a scope mount installed.
Please realize some of us do not have as large a budget as others here and our funds are not unlimited.
What would you purchase and why?

Right now I am leaning towards the Chapuis in 9.3.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Don't LEAN towards it fall over on it and go hunting. It will serve you for all No. Amer. hunting. I really liked the Chapuis I had. VERY accurate and easy to load for.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what Zimbabwe said. Great cartridge, there have been thousand of elephant killed with it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with the caliber and rifle selection.

I've used my 9.3x74R (a K gun) here in the US for deer and in Africa for PG out to 210 meters. Plus, it's enough, with proper shot placement, to sort it out with a big nasty if one should surprise you.

Love the caliber and it's perfect in a nice handling scoped double.

If you are considering the offer through DLN - I've met Dale face to face several times at gun shows throughout the area. Have not bought anything from him, but if that were my intention, I'd be happy to do business with him.

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 677 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If cost is high on your list get the Chapuis the 9.3x74R, does it all, and does it very well. I believe in Alaska it will become your first choice when hunting black tail, moose, or bear. If you venture back to Africa, it's one caliber you can count on and enjoy carrying. With 286-300 grain premium bullets it will kill anything. I can't wait to try the 320 grain Woodleigh solids my next trip to Africa.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe
Even if all your choices cost the same you would be hard pressed to beat the Chapuis 9,3x74R.

Research my previous posts on the 9,3x74R

The 9,3x74R Chapuis is one of the best hunting rifles on the planet.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Dale today and placed the order for the Chapuis in 9,3x74R and a pivot mount. My wife actually told me to go for it!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
You will not be sorry...did you sell your MRC lott?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe
You will like it.

If you reload I recommend the 286gr Woodleigh Soft and Solids.

For practice and deer sized game the 270 Speer will work good.

If you do not reload contact www.superiorammo.com

Their loads with Woodleigh Softs and Solids shoots very good in my Chapuis.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since age 14 I have reloaded. In fact I have never in my life shot any animal with a factory round (other than .22 rimfires). Dale told me he is trying to get together a large order of RWS brass. But at this point I am open to any discussion on components. I am having the rifle regulated for 286 grain bullets and am guessing I have six months to drool as I await it's arrival.
I did not sell the Lott. It would be to expensive and to long of a wait to replace and it doesnt eat much sitting in the "safe". Besides, it would make a great deer rifle when hunting Kodiak, haha. cheers

I certaintly appreciate many of you answering my questions. Without the knowledge and experience of some of you I would not of placed the order.
Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R, It's my dream double. Congratulations Snowwolfe! cheers
Please post pics of the arrival and first blooding please!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you made a good choice - you'll be very happy with it.

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Having lived in Alaska for sometime, hunted, guided, etc. I can not recall ever seeing a hunter using a double rifle of any sort or caliber while there. It was not because of the expense for as you know there are lots of folks up there can afford whatever they wish, but just how well does the double gun perform in the harsh, cold, frozen climate you happen to live in??? Will the strikers, hammers, etc. function in frozen temperatures?? I used an old beater pre 64 Model 70 in 375HH several years and at times had problems opening the bolt due to freezing conditons. Are double rifles of whatever make or caliber seen in use these days in Alaska??
Mind you I am not knocking double rifles for am planning on one in the near future for myself, probably Searcy, but not for the harsh climate/treatment a rifle sees in your part of the world. Have a neighbor who purchased the double you describe and have shot it and very nice indeed. Balances well, excellent fit and finish, and he is quite pleased with it in all respects. Good Luck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't be much different that all the folks who are using doubles for ducks and geese! I have never used a double rifle. But the only thing that ever froze up on me while hunting here were my Remington 700's. I finally sold off all of them and went to rifles that have Win 70 style triggers and a Ruger 77.

posted Hide Post
For using a 9.3 double a lot i can say my dr is a sigle once i want to shoot over 80 yards. My second schot will drop too much at that distance.

Considering i use 290gr tug and i hunt roe deer (40 pounds), wild boar (up to 300pounds),red stag (400pounds) both in driven hunts as stalking.

Scope 1.25-4x24 swarovski

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, never heard of a duck or goose tearing your "innards" out with one swipe or charging anyone and yes those doubles will freeze up as well as pumps and automatics in the right conditons as found in duck/goose hunting on or near the water. Again, big fan of doubles myself but not aware of them being used in your part of the world for dangerous game as in griz and brown bears. Good Luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
check with KEBCO - a new member here.
he had some merkels in 9,3 x74 at $4,600

also the chapius ugex ejector can be ordered -now - at $4,250

so if you want either one don't delay.

act now to get these prices !

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Driver, I never been accused of being normalSmiler I sent in the deposit today for the Chapuis. Gotta have a sense of adventure in life or it gets boring very fast. I am tired of worrying about "what ifs"?
As long as it isnt made by Remington I am happy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing that really helps is the dry lube. While there are oils that will not freeze, they do get "gummy" in very cold weather.

And like any rifle, if you are constantly taking it ingoors and then out in the feezing weather, you will get condensation. I'm sure you have dealt with that before.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote