THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    500 3" in Rifle chambered for 500 3 1/4" ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 3" in Rifle chambered for 500 3 1/4" ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gentlemen,
I see that 500 3 1/4" H&H advertised online.
Out of my league ( I can always dream.... )but can the 500 3 inch cartridges be shot in a rifle chambered for 500 3 1/4 ?
I thought I remember reading yes, maybe Taylor ?
Any fouling in the chamber with the shorter cartridge ?
Regulation ?

Thoughts appreciated !

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
In a pinch I am sure it could.
Much like the 38spl in the 357mag or a 458win in a Lott chamber.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
+ a .45-70 in a .45-90 chamber.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did shoot some factory 500 3" in my 500 3 1/4" double when I had it.

No problems. I think the theory is don't make a habit of it due to chamber erosion over the 1/4". How long that would be I don't know. Maybe also some fouling if you tried to chamber a 3 1/4" after shooting a few 3"? Not sure if that would be more pertinent for BP or not.

Can't remember regards regulation, it was Hornady soft factory ammo that chronographed about 2080fps from memory. A little faster than the regulation load I cam up with, but not much.

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the .500 3" BPE and the .500 3-1/4" BPE are two entirely different cartridges.

To my knowledge there was no Nitro Express loading of the .500 3-1/4"

I have no doubt a .500 3" can be fired in a .500 3-1/4" rifle, but if you are talking about shooting the .500 3" NE all bets are off!

The .500 3" BPE (notice the "BPE" nomenclature only came into use after the nitro express load) propelled a 340 grain bullet ahead of 136 grains of C&H #6. The .500 3-1/4" propelled a 480 grain bullet ahead of 142 grains of the same powder.

I would expect a proper .500 3" load to cross if fired in a .500 3-1/4" rifle. Way too light a bullet.

I own both and shoot both.

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some time back Midway or someone had a really good sale on 3" 500NE loaded rounds. After getting advice on this forum I did buy a box or two, but I have not shot them yet. I am not an expert but I don't expect any issues. My idea was just to use them for practice rather than in a hunt.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roscoe Stephenson:
Interestingly, the .500 3" BPE and the .500 3-1/4" BPE are two entirely different cartridges.

I have no doubt a .500 3" can be fired in a .500 3-1/4" rifle, but if you are talking about shooting the .500 3" NE all bets are off!

The .500 3" BPE (notice the "BPE" nomenclature only came into use after the nitro express load) propelled a 340 grain bullet ahead of 136 grains of C&H #6. The .500 3-1/4" propelled a 480 grain bullet ahead of 142 grains of the same powder.

I would expect a proper .500 3" load to cross if fired in a .500 3-1/4" rifle. Way too light a bullet.

Curl

Hmmm......thought there was a 500 3 1/4" Nitro chambering & load
Gonna try to get a better idea with the rifle .......
The plot thickens !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Curl

Curl, you need to review your old ammunition catalogues!

There were both 3" AND 3 1/4" nitro chamberings, the latter seemed to be preferred by H&H. My H&H Royal Dlxe ejector was so chambered and proofed for the Tropical load. Delivered in early 1906 IIRC. Interestingly, it is serial numbered 4 earlier than my 500/450 3 1/4" Nitro.

As far as loads crossing, the Hornady factory loads were about 40fps faster than the 3 1/4" loads I developed.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Roscoe Stephenson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
quote:

Curl

Curl, you need to review your old ammunition catalogues!

There were both 3" AND 3 1/4" nitro chamberings, the latter seemed to be preferred by H&H. My H&H Royal Dlxe ejector was so chambered and proofed for the Tropical load. Delivered in early 1906 IIRC. Interestingly, it is serial numbered 4 earlier than my 500/450 3 1/4" Nitro.

As far as loads crossing, the Hornady factory loads were about 40fps faster than the 3 1/4" loads I developed.

Cheers, Chris

Chris,

That makes me feel better. I stand corrected.

In my mind I had the horrible image of someone firing a .500 3" NE round in a .500 3-1/4" BPE rifle. Not good.

I wouldn't think there would be a safety issue if firing the shorter NE round in a nitro rifle as you have pointed out. My bad.

Curl

RoscoeStephenson.com

YOUR DOUBLE RIFLE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND.

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great information Gents, much appreciated.

Chamber erosion on a steady diet of the 3" cartridge ( readily available factory loads ) still might be an issue .....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will be an issue and a shame to spoil a fine double rifle.
Why not get some 3.25 cases and load your own?

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nickh,

Fair question.

Over the last year or so I been fortunate enough to find some phenomenal deals on factory 500 3" Kynoch & Hornady. Just over 200 rounds of each, solids & softs.

For me, that's enough for practice & field use for 2 safaris. Basically I'm set for the next 5 years, at worst ( or best, depending how you look at it ! ). At least that's how it worked out on the last couple of trips with my 470 ( again, factory loads, Frederal & Hornady at great prices ).

Also just don't have the time & inclination to hand roll. Handgun ammo can be found reasonably priced, might go thru 5-6 boxes of center fire rifle a year and the learning curve to reload the 470 & 500 is too steep for me. Heck, even shooting a case of decent quality 12 ga 3 1/2 steel a year is well under $200, shopping around.

Having said all of that, wish I would have started reloading years ago....it'd be second nature by now. Oh well.

Best

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If yoiu want to shoot easily obtainable factory ammo,then stick with a 470 or 500 3"
there are lots available for sale from cheap to the top end such as H&H WR and Purdey.

No sense in going to a very "difficult calibre.

Cheers

Nick

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too true Nick.

However, in Australia, unless you have large amounts of money to burn on ammo, reloading for NE cartridges is the only option. We don't see the special offers you see in the USA. 20 rounds of NE can cost over $140 - 200 and usually have to be ordered in.

I used Bertram 500 - 3 1/4" brass, as I do in my 500/450 - 3 1/4" It works better than Bertram brass in the 375 Flanged Mag. Which often cracks after first firing and reloading. Have gone to Norma brass (about $200/50).

I tried a couple of Hornady 500 3" in the 3 1/4" to see how they would shoot in a pinch.

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Bertram for my 600 nitro.
Have fired some cases 20 times with full house loads and no issues at all.
In my 500's i use Hornady as i bought 10 packets of factory stuff when i started out with doubles.
Again, lots of reloads and no issues.
Straight wall cases in the low pressure nitro loads are very easy on brass.

cheers

Nick