Find
Notify
Tools

Verney-Carron anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Ken at Kebco has these at a very reasonable price in 9.3X74R. Does anyone have one of these, or have experience with one? What kind of accuracy can be expected? I am assuming that with the barrel adjustments available, these O/Us can be regulated for a wider variety of loads and handloads than can a standard non-adjustable side-by-side. Correct?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're made in France! That in itself was enough to turn me away.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mercy sakes, Dave, the French-made arms that have passed through my hands have all been very well made. Why would you pass on a rifle made in the only country that came to our aid against King George's Redcoats?

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My Chapuis is the most accurate double I own and it rarely acts rude or condescending towards me. Perhaps that is because it is not from Paris. Smiler

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
O/U is NOT really considered a DR is it? If so, I am resigning my commission...

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rich: Sorry, but I hope it is. I was thinking this was a ticket I could afford to attend a DR shoot ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mind you there are lots of folks out there who will have low opinions of anything made in Japan or Germany. Latest reaction of France and our war on terror has left a bad taste with lots of people. Did not say it was the right approach, but it is reality nevertheless.
Recently purchased a second barrel for my mint '70 Belgium A5 and the barrel is made in France and of highest quality it would appear.

Spent some time in French schools/academies in the 70's and met some very bright engineering types and fine people there, but base of that big "tower" had a fair number of anti american/pro communist slogans quite visible.
Can say that never had a bad night at the clubs in Paris though!! Never got use to seeing cats skinned and for sale nor horse meat, but to each his own.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I went to a DRSS hunt with a $301 o/u two years ago.. and it was in a rimless cartridge (.308 Win). I got to sleep in a bed one night and even rode around in a jeep while everybody else shot stuff that evening...

Buy the rifle.

Posts: 7697 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
JudgeG: I believe I will. Now to lay in a stash of RWS cases ...

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the JudgeG's 308 O/U at that DRSS shoot with 2 different 308 loads and it shot good.

However,I prefer a SXS double rifle, because my eyes go like this 00, not like this 8. Big Grin

Remember the French supported us in the War for Independance, and in the War Against Northern Agression. sofa

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Tony: My eyes do the same thing, which is why I passed on the Verney-Carron and ordered the Chapuis UGEX instead. This will be my first cartridge double, although I have a Pedersoli Kodiak ML in .72.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I'm old fashioned so I close one eye when I aim. For some reason I learned that way and just can't break the habit. For that very reason I have no objection to O/U rifles or shotguns. It is confusing to have to look between 2 barrels with one eye and determine where the round will go. Now if I could use both eyes I could then see BOTH barrels but the sights would be in the middle and I'm afraid that would tend to confuse me even more and I would have to make decisions I should not have to make with a DGR.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote