New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL15 powder for .470
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm not sure if this should go in this forum or reloading but is RL15 the preferred powder for
a .470 NE?

I know that RL15 requires the use of filler to take up the empty space in the case but I see that it is popular with many folks.

What does the AR community say?

Thanks

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
RL 15 works very well but I don't know if I would use the word preferred. For 20+ years I have been using IMR 4831. More is needed and it has more felt recoil than RL 15 but it fills the case to the bullet's base and since there has never been a problem I never saw the need to experiment further as all my chronograph work and target shooting was developed with 4831.
Just my 2 cents but many here will support RL 15.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Just my 2 cents but many here will support RL 15.

That would include me. I shoot RL15 in my .470 and use a Kynoch wad. I think Federal is actually loaded with RL15 too, but they use their proprietary F216 primer in lieu of filler.

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't experimented with RL15 in my Searcy because Butch provides his regulation load.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Do you have a source in the US for the Kynoch wads? I have been thinking about using dacron but for some reason it freaks me out a little. I don't know why, there is no good reason for it. Maybe it is because I'm not used to filler at all.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Trader Keith. Scroll down toward the bottom. Tell Bill I sent you. He and his wife are good people.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

Mike

Posts: 21241 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a PDF of "Reloading the Nitro Express" by Ross Seyfried in which he advocates the use of RL-15 plus filler for Vintage Double Rifles.

I will be glad to share it. Since I cannot post this article here, I will be happy to send it to you. Please contact me directly at rkmojo@aol.com

Since there is a scarcity of RL-15, I would remind you that RL-15 is just another batch of Norma 203B, that was sold to Alliant and repacked.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Trader Keith. Scroll down toward the bottom. Tell Bill I sent you. He and his wife are good people.

http://www.traderkeith.com/products.html

Or you can pick up backer rod at Home Depot in 1/2 inch for a fraction of the cost and almost the same stuff but in a roll you just cut yourself.

Mac

Posts: 1726 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
RL 15 (with Kynoch wad) gives me more uniform velocities and certainly reduces recoil.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had much better experience with RL-15 that 4831. Less recoil, seems to shoot slightly better single barrel groups. I haven't seen any difference between 5g of Dacron and Kynoch wads

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I settled on RL15 and Kynoch wads in my 470 Merkel and then I got a Searcy from Butch with his favorite load using IMR4831. I can interchange the loads between rifles and they chronograph about the same at about 2160 with 500gr Woodleighs, TSX or CEB's. There is a slight increase in felt recoil with the IMR4831 loads.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hell, fellas, I guess I will try some RL 15 this summer. But I've a few kegs of 4831 to shoot up, too.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal just shoot moor and use all that stale powder up. I think one of the reasons RL 15 is popular in the older vintage rifles is the burn rate and pressure curve is close to loads using cordite. It may help some rifles to regulate better than some other powders.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Cooley:
I think one of the reasons RL 15 is popular in the older vintage rifles is the burn rate and pressure curve is close to loads using cordite. It may help some rifles to regulate better than some other powders.
Bill

Exactly!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The recipie I got from someone here was 85gns RL-15, 5gns of Dacron, and Fed 215 primers. I've used this with 500gn solids and 500gn cast bullets. They both shot to the same point.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Use RL 15 for 450 NE and for 500 NE
Excellent performance

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I have had success with both 4831 and R-15 with individual rifles showing a definite preference for or the other. I spent many range sessions with my 470 Evans with R-15 to no avail until I tried IMR 4831. It shot lights out with 4831 but wouldn't shoot at all with R-15.

I always let the rifle decide.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just came across the thread late. Sounds like most folks use 4831 or RL 15. I use 107gn RL 19 and get excellent performance.

Posts: 26 | Location: Hye,Texas | Registered: 06 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I'm in the minority here which could mean "operator error" as I had terrible results with RL-15 in my 450NE. Erratic velocities, way outside the standard and mediocre accuracy. IMR 4831 did well, but I settled on H-4831. Less temp sensitivy and it's what Hornady uses.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
I have had success with both 4831 and R-15 with individual rifles showing a definite preference for or the other. I spent many range sessions with my 470 Evans with R-15 to no avail until I tried IMR 4831. It shot lights out with 4831 but wouldn't shoot at all with R-15.

I always let the rifle decide.

I prefer to use RL 15 with a filler when I can, but I can absolutely confirm 470Evans data,as I also shot his rifle with both powders.
His rifle definately prefered IMR 4831.

Oh, and do not even ask him how his H&H Paradox Gun shoots With his reloads. It is SCARY accurate...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote