New
Find
Notify
Tools

Meet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good morning. My Father and I are planning a hunt in Zim either this July or the next. I currently own a M70 classic in .375 and a Ruger in .350 Rem mag. We want to hunt Buffalo and plains game, and figure that these rifles should be adequate get the job done, but.....I am starting to think more about buying a double. Thinking either a .450 NE or .470 NE. My problem is that I have never fired a double. Does anyone know of a group of double rifle shooters in the central California area? Some place that I can actually touch and maybe fire one of these? Thanks for your help!

Posts: 465 | Location: central California | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gary: Your are in luck. I can't recall the group, but there is a large gathering of big-bore and double rifle shooters somewhere near Sacramento at least once a year. I'm sure one of the fellows will pipe up with details.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive down to Boron, and talk with Butch Searcy.
He might have something you could try on.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thinking either a .450 NE or .470 NE. My problem is that I have never fired a double. Does anyone know of a group of double rifle shooters in the central California area?

Gary:

If you are considering dropping close to 10 K on a double rifle, spending a few bucks to come to a DRSS get together is well worth your TIME and MONEY.

And we are having another hunt/shoot the Monday to Thursday after the Dallas Safari Club convention at a ranch near Franklin, Texas.

If you can come, you will see about 30 DRs from various makers and different calibers. Here you will have the opportunity to see, hold and SHOOT each gun - try doing that at any other place in the world.

Since DFW is American Airlines' hub, airfare should be cheap. Get a rental car and drive the 3.5 hours to camp. Get a hotel room for $45/night and pay the $50/day (payable to the ranch) to come, hangout and shoot doubles with us. For about $600.00 you will be a VERY educated DR buyer and know what you want.

PM me if you want more info.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to http://searcyent.com and you'll find out info about the Gold Medal Concourse and Vintage Cup events which alternates between Sac area and L.A.

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

one of us
Picture of Marrakai
posted Hide Post
quote:
try doing that at any other place in the world.

He he... most Australian DR enthusiasts will be having a quiet chuckle over that, 577NE, especially the Big Game Rifle Club regulars in Melbourne!

GaryG:
You're certainly on the right track looking for first hand experience before making the leap. There's no doubt you will learn more about doubles in a weekend with the DRSS guys than anyplace else on your side of the pond!

Marrakai
When the bull drops, the bullsh!t stops!

Posts: 243 | Location: Darwin, Australia | Registered: 12 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marrakai:
quote:
try doing that at any other place in the world.

He he... most Australian DR enthusiasts will be having a quiet chuckle over that, 577NE, especially the Big Game Rifle Club regulars in Melbourne!

GaryG:
You're certainly on the right track looking for first hand experience before making the leap. There's no doubt you will learn more about doubles in a weekend with the DRSS guys than anyplace else on your side of the pond!

I stand corrected.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
quote:
Thinking either a .450 NE or .470 NE. My problem is that I have never fired a double. Does anyone know of a group of double rifle shooters in the central California area?

Gary:

If you are considering dropping close to 10 K on a double rifle, spending a few bucks to come to a DRSS get together is well worth your TIME and MONEY.

And we are having another hunt/shoot the Monday to Thursday after the Dallas Safari Club convention at a ranch near Franklin, Texas.

If you can come, you will see about 30 DRs from various makers and different calibers. Here you will have the opportunity to see, hold and SHOOT each gun - try doing that at any other place in the world.

Since DFW is American Airlines' hub, airfare should be cheap. Get a rental car and drive the 3.5 hours to camp. Get a hotel room for $45/night and pay the $50/day (payable to the ranch) to come, hangout and shoot doubles with us. For about $600.00 you will be a VERY educated DR buyer and know what you want.

PM me if you want more info.

Gary, 577NitroExpress is almost completely correct, as Marrakai pointed out about the Big Game Rifle Club, of Australia! But he also forgot that the hunt this next year is near the town of ROCHELLE, Texas, not Franklin! The Franklin hunt was this year. No problem getting there as there will be many people going there from the Dallas Safari Club show!

The two things he was 100% right about is you will learn a bunch on that trip, and the other is YOU ARE WELCOME, at a DRSS get together! Come on down, you'll love it. Post 577NitroExpress for the particulars of this hunt! There will be 30 or so doubles there to handle, and shoot! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary G
I agree. Comming to the DRSS shoot this Jan would be the best money/time you could spend in educating you on double rifles.
Might as well come to the Dallas Safari Show as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Gary G
I agree. Comming to the DRSS shoot this Jan would be the best money/time you could spend in educating you on double rifles.
Might as well come to the Dallas Safari Show as well.

Tony is right, the Dallas Safari Show is where we will all be, before the convoy to the ranch 200 miles away, and back to D/FW after the hunt!

beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote