Find
Notify
Tools

FINAL 450 LOADS FOR MY VC
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted
Gents, I've sent a lot of lead downrange with the VC in an effort to develop a good hunting load for my VC and of course that matches the factory stuff the rifle is regulated with. Below are my final loads along with a target showing factory groups, all at 50 yards:

Factory softs & solids (point of aim offset due to misaligned chronograph so I had to cheat left in order not to hit same Smiler :

DGX 97gr H4831 MV 2070-2120:

I also had good results with Woodleighs and I posted those previously on the 450NE Load revisited thread. I'l just comment it takes about two grains more powder to drive them to equivalent DDGX velocities. I'll also reiterate that I've settles on velocities 50-25 fps LOWER than what Hornady advertises (2150) as they achieve that with 28" barrels and my VC has 25" barrel length and I just don't want to risk hot loads to get the added 50 fps. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Looks great to me! 50fps? No creature would know the difference. beer

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Jorge, Shoots pretty damn good doesn't it. Those big double guns are addicting.
Your ready...

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Gents, I've sent a lot of lead downrange with the VC in an effort to develop a good hunting load for my VC and of course that matches the factory stuff the rifle is regulated with. Below are my final loads along with a target showing factory groups, all at 50 yards:

Factory softs & solids (point of aim offset due to misaligned chronograph so I had to cheat left in order not to hit same Smiler :
DGX 97gr H4831 MV 2070-2120:
I also had good results with Woodleighs and I posted those previously on the 450NE Load revisited thread. I'l just comment it takes about two grains more powder to drive them to equivalent DDGX velocities.

I'll also reiterate that I've settles on velocities 50-25 fps LOWER than what Hornady advertises (2150) as they achieve that with 28" barrels and my VC has 25" barrel length and I just don't want to risk hot loads to get the added 50 fps. jorge

Looks like you're ready to go into the weeds with that big Cape buffalo.

.........................Good shooting tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Guys; any comment on my velocity rationale?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jorge,

I load to 2,150 fps in both my 465 and 470 doubles, have had no pressure problems. Also did the same with a nice 450/400 3" Jeffery when I had one. Again no problem even in high temps. I suspect those bullets will overlap at 2,150 fps.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice groups. very nice groups

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

jorge,

You've found your load now quit nessing with it and go kill something!

50 or even 100 FPS isn't going to make a bit of difference on the terminal side of things. Load what you got that is what your rifle likes and go HUNTING!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

jorge,

50 or even 100 FPS isn't going to make a bit of difference on the terminal side of things. Load what you got that is what your rifle likes and go HUNTING!!

surestrike,

With all due respect I am going to disagree with you this issue. I believe that the 450 nitro and 458 win using 480 or 500 grain bullets at 2,050 fps are marginal for penetrating to the brain on frontal shots on elephant. Increase the velocity to 2,150 fps and they work very well on that shot. In this case the extra 100 fps seems to make all the difference in the world.

465H&H

To clarify the above, I was speaking primarily about RN steel jacketed solids. If you go to the North Fork, CEB #13 or GScuston FN mono bullets you will get enough penetration with a velocity of 2,050 fps.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
quote:

jorge,

surestrike,

With all due respect I am going to disagree with you this issue. I believe that the 450 nitro and 458 win using 480 or 500 grain bullets at 2,050 fps are marginal for penetrating to the brain on frontal shots on elephant. Increase the velocity to 2,150 fps and they work very well on that shot. In this case the extra 100 fps seems to make all the difference in the world.

465H&H

My 470 Evans with a 500 gr Woodleigh solid penetrated all the way through my elephant bull's skull and ended up in the back vertebrae, the velocity was 2075fps.

2050fps +- has been getting it done for 100+ yrs.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
470Evans.

There are frontal shots and then there are other frontal shots. If the elephants head is held up high in the looking down its nose at you pose, you may have to penetrate 18 to 24" more of head to reach the brain. That is why I said 2,050 fps is marginal. On a shot where the bullet enters at eye line that load may reach the brain and even pass through, on the high head shot it may not!

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Jorge:

P.M. me with your address. I have a present to send to you.

Can't wait to see your rifle!

Saw two does this afternoon that just needed a 480 grain soft in the vitals. You need to come!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7710 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess when I shot my bull up the nose with a 577 moving at 1975 fps the bullet shouldn't have lodged in its back between its shoulders. Most of the 2150 fps velocities were out of 28 and 30 inch test barrels.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
surestrike,

465H&H

Sir I defer to your superior experience and knowledge in regards to elephant. I was thinking buffalo with my statement. My sum total of elephant taken is one so I have no room to speak on the subject.

I appreciate your input on the matter and will keep it in mind. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
surestrike,

When it comes to buffalo, I agree with you that 100 fps difference in velocity will not make a noticeable difference in terminal affect. I am mentally stuck on elephant and equate all discussions to them. My apology for misunderstanding your statement.

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Jorge,
That's why you should use CEB #13 solids when you go for elephant. They will make up for that 100fps deficit. 465 mentioned concerns about over penetration with CEB solids compared to RN solids in another thread so this should even things out a bit.
Whatever you're hunting; whatever you're hunting with have a great time and enjoy every aspect of the hunt and the shot.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
All, thank you very much for the excellent discussion, it is really appreciated. Regarding the velocity, if you notice, my handloads manage to break the 2100 fps speed gate and are as high as 2120 so I think I'll be ok. Unfortunately I don't have an elephant in my near future but I am working hard to maybe book this January for two buffalo at DSC.

Doc what I need to do is start looking at those bullets and develop loads for them.

Judge, PM on the way. Remember, my office is about 20 minutes from your camp Smiler

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

In most guns the #13 loaded with your current regulating load will shoot fine with maybe a little tweaking. You might want to bell the case mouth without using an expander button. This helps with neck tension as the #13 only has 4 narrow bands to reduce barrel strain and pressures. I always seat bullet to proper depth and then crimp it in a separate operation. Watch the big bore terminal performance posts as Michael458 and I just did some very interesting tests with the #13s.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sam. I'll take a look at that. which one should I buy to try out?:
450 CEB BBW #13 Brass Solid.........................................$29.28/Box

420 CEB BBW #13 Brass NonCon HP.................................$34.83/Box

I can't tell you how grateful I am to all here for helping me out over the course of the past year. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge if you are mainly shooting buffalo and plainsgame I'd go with the non con. Elephant go solid. Watch Michael458s post on the non con tests we did yesterday. After seeing this I'm going to shoot non cons on everything but elephant.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
This one correct?:

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
465HH

I have to inject something in about the low velocity penetration, elephant heads, frontal shots. In 2007 I took the current 50 B&M in its final configuration, 2.25 inch case to Zimbabwe for it's first big game outing. At that time I did not have the BBW#13, but was shooting a 510 gr Copper Flat nose Lehigh bullet that JD and I had been working with. Also, at that time I did not have the current load data I have now, so I was only running that bullet at 2060 fps at the muzzle.

Rather proud that the very first animal taken with the 50 B&M was a medium sized bull elephant. It was pitch black dark, we were legal on this and had permits to shoot crop raiders that would cross from the park into the Camp Fire area. I was not allowed to shoot any trophy bulls, so we had to only shoot medium bulls. Pitch black dark, God what fun that was! I could only hear the elephants, there was two of them, I could not see either one of course, nor did I have a real good idea of exactly how far they were. We were in the dry river bottom, they were standing on the bank, us between them and the border fence of the park. As soon as the light hit I had about 2 seconds to find the elephant, pick my shot, and turn it loose. Only shot I had was frontal brain, not much time to study it over either, so I turned it loose, at a later measured 31 yards. Bullet hit perfectly center, drove through the back of the skull and was lost in the body somewhere, not found. But there was a perfect exit out the back of the brain cavity. Now by the time that bullet had traveled 31 yards my estimate is that it was down to 1950 to 1975 fps impact. Still it gave, plenty of penetration without issue.

A couple of days later we caught another similar size bull in the river bottom. Opposite positions now, I am on the river bank, with about 6 ft of elevation. Hit the light, elephant about 40 yards, no brain shot, take the shoulder heart shot. This bullet passed completely through the elephant broadside, exited. He stumbled, nearly went down, but regained his footing, turned to run. By then my second shot entered into the top of the back, angled down through the heart crisscrossing the other bullets path through the heart and exited the front of the chest. This shot measured 7 foot of penetration from entry, to exit. Third shot hit 2 ft further back from the second shot, did not reach the heart, did not exit. When this dance started at 40 yards I estimate the velocity was down to 1925-1950, and by the second shot maybe down to 1900 fps impacts. Seven feet is a right good amount of penetration.

Personally I think anything from 2000-2100 fps with a BBW#13 Solid and one would be just fine. Yes, frontal or side brain. Now I would not take that angled shot you like to take by any stretch, but I would not do that with my 500 MDM and a 550 gr .500 caliber at 2300 fps, or my 500 gr BBW#13 Solid at 2600 fps! I think more depends on the bullet and it's nose profile and other factors, than just velocity alone. Quite a bit more enters into the equation.

Well, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth! It's worth what you paid for it I suppose.

Jorge, shooting 450 Nitro I take it. 480 BBW#13 Solid or 450 BBW#13 Solid for elephants. Will do the job nicely. Buffalo, the NonCons, 450 or 420. For the Nitro the 480 #13 Solid and 450 #13 NonCon are matching bullets. Especially for the 450 Nitro.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by michael458:
465HH

I have to inject something in about the low velocity penetration, elephant heads, frontal shots. In 2007 I took the current 50 B&M in its final configuration, 2.25 inch case to Zimbabwe for it's first big game outing. At that time I did not have the BBW#13, but was shooting a 510 gr Copper Flat nose Lehigh bullet that JD and I had been working with. Also, at that time I did not have the current load data I have now, so I was only running that bullet at 2060 fps at the muzzle.

Rather proud that the very first animal taken with the 50 B&M was a medium sized bull elephant. It was pitch black dark, we were legal on this and had permits to shoot crop raiders that would cross from the park into the Camp Fire area. I was not allowed to shoot any trophy bulls, so we had to only shoot medium bulls. Pitch black dark, God what fun that was! I could only hear the elephants, there was two of them, I could not see either one of course, nor did I have a real good idea of exactly how far they were. We were in the dry river bottom, they were standing on the bank, us between them and the border fence of the park. As soon as the light hit I had about 2 seconds to find the elephant, pick my shot, and turn it loose. Only shot I had was frontal brain, not much time to study it over either, so I turned it loose, at a later measured 31 yards. Bullet hit perfectly center, drove through the back of the skull and was lost in the body somewhere, not found. But there was a perfect exit out the back of the brain cavity. Now by the time that bullet had traveled 31 yards my estimate is that it was down to 1950 to 1975 fps impact. Still it gave, plenty of penetration without issue.

A couple of days later we caught another similar size bull in the river bottom. Opposite positions now, I am on the river bank, with about 6 ft of elevation. Hit the light, elephant about 40 yards, no brain shot, take the shoulder heart shot. This bullet passed completely through the elephant broadside, exited. He stumbled, nearly went down, but regained his footing, turned to run. By then my second shot entered into the top of the back, angled down through the heart crisscrossing the other bullets path through the heart and exited the front of the chest. This shot measured 7 foot of penetration from entry, to exit. Third shot hit 2 ft further back from the second shot, did not reach the heart, did not exit. When this dance started at 40 yards I estimate the velocity was down to 1925-1950, and by the second shot maybe down to 1900 fps impacts. Seven feet is a right good amount of penetration.

Personally I think anything from 2000-2100 fps with a BBW#13 Solid and one would be just fine. Yes, frontal or side brain. Now I would not take that angled shot you like to take by any stretch, but I would not do that with my 500 MDM and a 550 gr .500 caliber at 2300 fps, or my 500 gr BBW#13 Solid at 2600 fps! I think more depends on the bullet and it's nose profile and other factors, than just velocity alone. Quite a bit more enters into the equation.

Well, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth! It's worth what you paid for it I suppose.

Jorge, shooting 450 Nitro I take it. 480 BBW#13 Solid or 450 BBW#13 Solid for elephants. Will do the job nicely. Buffalo, the NonCons, 450 or 420. For the Nitro the 480 #13 Solid and 450 #13 NonCon are matching bullets. Especially for the 450 Nitro.

Michael

Supports what I said above. I too would go for the heavier solid bullet in the 450 Nitro. But then I also like to maximize bullet thump as well as penetration on this type of shot.

Michael,

On the angle head shot on elephant all solids in my experience give enough penetration to reach the brain, the big problem as I believe is your concern, is hitting the brain. It isn't difficult, just aim to break the broom stick runnimg between the ear holes at the middle of the head.

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll give the heavy ones (450) a try.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jorge--NO---Not the 450s in the 450 Nitro--Work with the 480s, they are designed for the 450 Nitro, you will have no issue getting those to over 2100 or even past equal to what you have now.

The 450s will do the job, you can probably get more velocity as well, but for what you want to do in the Nitro use the 480, that's it's job. It's matching NonCon Hollow POint is the 450 NonCon HP. Buffalo medicine that is! 480 Solid elephant, 450 NonCon buffalo.

M

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Michael,

On the angle head shot on elephant all solids in my experience give enough penetration to reach the brain, the big problem as I believe is your concern, is hitting the brain. It isn't difficult, just aim to break the broom stick runnimg between the ear holes at the middle of the head.

465H&H

OH BS--- I keep looking for that shot and I don't think I can see it! I don't doubt you, I just think you are a better shot than I am! I have hard enough time with simple side brain shots, much less something I gotta think on too much! HEH HEH.........

I do a fair job of hitting them in the ass however! If they are close that ass gets bigger too, I can hit it!

rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Michael,

465H&H

OH BS--- I keep looking for that shot and I don't think I can see it! I don't doubt you, I just think you are a better shot than I am! I have hard enough time with simple side brain shots, much less something I gotta think on too much! HEH HEH.........

I do a fair job of hitting them in the ass however! If they are close that ass gets bigger too, I can hit it!

rotflmo

If truth be known the simple side brain shot is just as difficult as the angle shot. Just see how many times it is screwed up in the videos.

465H&H

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
A brain shot on elephant, in my opinion, is the hardest, most demanding shot we can take as hunters and shooters. It is the ultimate demand on a bullet and the shooter. Regardless of side or frontal or angled. There is only one thing that can come close to an elephant brain shot and that is the brain shot on a croc, but this puts little demand on the bullet and all the demand on the shooter! Both shots are extremely important to follow up quickly, decisively with every shot got you got until you don't "Got No Mo"!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jorge,

Thank you for offering this thread and your personally obtained load information and results. I am about to load for a .450 NE as well and I will keep this data in mind. You achieved very good results and I can't imagine you would have any problems with buffalo with that load or even with most all elephant shots.

I've taken a number of elephant with frontal shots when their heads were extremely high and thus my point of entry was as low as 24" below the eye, yet the bullet (Woodleigh 570 grain solid in .500 NE 3") fully penetrated the brain, exploded the back of the skull and usually lodged 9" to 12" deep in the neck muscle. I want to try some of the same shots with a .450 NE and compare the results with the .500 NE evidence I've developed.

If I get my .450 to shoot close to your results, I will be pleased. I hope you share your hunting results with the load as well.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kelly, but my reports will have to wait until 2013!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Jorge--NO---Not the 450s in the 450 Nitro--Work with the 480s, they are designed for the 450 Nitro, you will have no issue getting those to over 2100 or even past equal to what you have now.

The 450s will do the job, you can probably get more velocity as well, but for what you want to do in the Nitro use the 480, that's it's job. It's matching NonCon Hollow POint is the 450 NonCon HP. Buffalo medicine that is! 480 Solid elephant, 450 NonCon buffalo.

M

I guess I missed the 480s in your website. I'll get those.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member