New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Merkel 141E
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just bought a Merkel 141E in 9.3X74R from Kebco who stops by here occasionally. He's a great fellow to deal with and will give you a better price on doubles than anyone else. My first impression was, "What a tiny little rifle". The more I fondle it the more I like it. The gun was regulated with 15 gram Norma Vulcans, and I just happened to have a box left from my last rifle. I also had some RWS 293 grain TUGs. I didn't want to waste the Norma Vulcans so for my first shots I shot the RWS. At 75 yards, iron sights, the rifle shoots a little low and prints about 6 inches apart. Is this typical for heavier bullets? When Ken gets my scope mounts in I'll start zeroing in earnest, so I'm not going to waste the Vulcans for now on just shooting for jollies. The little fellow weighs all of 6.5 pounds or so, and touching off the RWS 293s is a good push but not unpleasant. It does pop me on the cheekbone a little, but other than that, it's a sweet little number.

One other question: My rifle has a rear scope mount dovetail in place and a slot for a front swing mount base. Would anyone know of an aperture sight that would fit on the rear dovetail? Having a good aperture sight as a backup to the scope would be nice.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
re: aperture sight you want

ask ken to get you one from rechnagel
they make them

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I have a 141(e) in 9.3x74 that was regulated with the 232 grain Vulcan. You will have to use the regulating system to get the larger bullets to converge. If you send me a p.m. with your e-mail I'll send you the instructions for the adjustments.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot Brain 1's "little" Merkel 9,3, and I liked it a lot.

I have shot quite a bit of game with the 9,3x74R and think it is one of the best hunting calibres on the planet.

I have shot deer and several pigs with the Norma factory 232 Vulcan load. It gave perfect performance.

But most of the game I have taken has been with 286gr bullets.
They work on game from turkeys, to elephants.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote