Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Suggestions?
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings, My new Baikal .45-70 shoots 10" vertical dispersion @50yds. That is from bench, with or without new Leupold scope. Have tried 2 bullet weights, same. Rifle was accessed from Davidsons Guns, supposed lifetime warranty. Local selling dealer here is ignoring my requests for assistance, defective rifle. THX, JM

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast, Arizona | Registered: 04 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't they have a screw that allows you to adjust the regulation of the barrels ?

or is that another model ?

Defective ? Do they come with any guarantee
of regulation ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Screw is for horizontal adjustment only. There is no mention of load regulated for, very obsecure info.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast, Arizona | Registered: 04 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My apologise, I didn't see the "Vertical".

Can't help, sorry.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Do a search on this problem here. It's happened before and there is a fix out there.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry; Mike is right I recall seeing that some where too. From my limited experience with these rifles I noticed that the right barrel moves a bit freely while the left is stationary in the muzzle band.

I would think you will be able to insert a feeler gage either under or above in between the right barrel and the muzzle band to raise or lower its point of impact. Only you need couple thousands to achieve the desired results.

keep us posted if that would work for you.

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I think I recently read that someone, warmed up the nose piece until the solder just started to bubble out and twisted the noose piece to adjust it until they printed on the same horizontal plane.

BUT don't do that until we track down more info.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are two pins that go down from one side of the band and out of the other, through a crease in the left barrel. I do think that might prevent the band from twisting. I could be wrong, though once I thought that but found later that I was mistaken. Smiler

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Possible they knocked out the pins and soldered it? I can't find that thread. Was it DCPD?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
f it wasn't DPCD, he probably answered in the thread.

Shouldn't be difficult to find with the search functions on here under Baikal, 45/70 or some varition of such etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly so, the first Baikal That I bought used, somebody had tried that, Knocked the pins out and replaced them with headless screws, now it makes sense. Originally I thought they tried to adjust the left barrel by the screws pushing on the barrel rather than by the soldering and twisting of the band. It seems that it worked the rifle shoots very good, though I might need to do a little more adjustment to it as soon as I finish with the stock project.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Right; there is not enough room to insert a spacer. Best thing to do is to knock out the locating pin and remove the front band. Clean up the bluing and solder it onto both barrels. Then you can move it to regulate the barrels. (twist them) Don't need the pin any more then.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for ideas. Please remember any alterations void warranty. I was informed today a new replacement rifle is the solution. Will see what develops. THX, JM

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I would go the warranty route. I just bought one in 30-06 last week and it is a SHOOTER right out of the box. No adjustments needed at all. Getting an exchange for one that is fairly well regulated will be much better than some of the stuff mentioned above. Good luck.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote