New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 Nitro 440g Lead load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have just taken delivery of 100 cast hardened lead bullets 440g and would like to work up a load. Reasonably fast but without too much fouling - they are pre greased.

Any ideas - also advice on how to load lead so the case doesn't shave them on the way in - I have 4 RCBS dies so assume between them they do the job

Not reloaded the 500 at all so this is first time

Posts: 34 | Location: Surrey, England (Nr UK for you US folks) | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I think that when you "bell" the mouth of the case they should seat without any shaving.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a Nitro for Black power level load try 56gr of IMR 4198 with a filler of COMPRESSED dacron between the bullet and the powder. Velocity should be around 1850 fps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Are the bullets gas checked or not?

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK I now have 2 lots of bullets

440g, no gas check but with a paper wad that will be inserted as the bullet goes in, diameter is .511"

550g with a copper gas check, diameter is .510

loads for both would be good, ideally using H4831 or H4350 as I use that for other stuff

Thanks
d

Posts: 34 | Location: Surrey, England (Nr UK for you US folks) | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I don't have any loads for the caliber that you are loading for,but I was concerned whether you realised what speeds you can push lead bullets to with or without gas checks,I shoot cast bullets out of all my guns including DR's,with no gas checks,I do not push them past 1400 fps & for hunting I usually go with a 30-1 alloy,shoot any faster & you will most likely end up with lead in the barrel,with gas checks installed,you can push a hard cast bullet to full power loads without having to worry about lead in the barrel,sizing is usually about a .001 over the copper stuff,I presently load hard cast bullets for my 470 NE & they have worked well for me hunting pigs!

DRSS

Posts: 2278 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote