New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser S2 Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone know anything about this rifle? I don't know much about doubles but have been looking at them more and more lately. Is it on the same par as Searcy, Chapius or Merkle? Do you know what a standard model costs? Thanks for any information.
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This has been discussed before. Do a search for this topic. Basically, the Blaser S2, as I understand it, uses a cocking system similar to the Kreighoff ie. the safety is actually a cocker. This might be slower than just taking the safety off, due to the pressure needed, and some regard it as a serious disadvantage for a stopping rifle in a DGR. The other point is that unlike the K gun, the S2 must be cocked each time it is opened. The K gun will stay cocked, if it is cocked, broken open and reloaded, and then closed again. Both of these are valid points, for a stopping rifle. I am not sure that they apply for a smaller caliber eg. 9.3 x 74R. Over on BlaserPro.com there is an S2 in the above mentioned 9.3 caliber for $5500. I don't know if that is a good price or not. Hope this helps. I am sure that others will weigh in. I am not sure what calibers the S2 is available in.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
Thanks for the information. I did the search and read the thread you mentioned and have a better understanding of the rifle. I think I will keep on looking and putting money into my toy fund!
John

Posts: 155 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Lucky1The Blaser S2 is a double rifle that is different from any other in many ways, and IMO, none of the differences are good!

To be fair, the rifle is a very safe rifle to carry, in regard to avoiding accidental shootings. It is also a very strong rifle, and handles high pressures far above most old traditional double rifles, and has a system that allows changeing the regulation for different loads. Those positives are fine when one only wants a double rifle to use on non-dangerous game, but are deficits when applied to a dangerous game rifle!

The draw-backs are, first and foremost, they handle like a railroad tie (Sleeper, to those from RSA), so if they fit you they are OK, but they don't fit anyone I've talked to, and they don't fit me!

Second is the so-called,auto-safety, which cannot be disconnected, and requires the rifle to be re-cocked everytime the action is opened. The breaking of the action does not re-cock the rifle for the next shots. This, along with the hood that hangs over the chambers, could be a problem in a tight spot, when when one doesn't need any extra movements to get back in action. I simply do not predict a very fast reload with this rifle! If there was ever a REAL need for ejectors on a double rifle the Blaser is it, and I don't think they are available! I can live with, or without ejectors,but if I had to use the Blaser, I'd sure want them!

The Krieghoff, on the other hand, re-cocks the rifle when broken open after the first shot, or shots,just like any hammerless double rifle so that when the rifle is closed it is ready to fire with nothing more than pulling the trigger. And it has the classic open chambers with nothing (like the hood)in the way of the reload.

The last thing is a very personal thing, and has nothing to do with the operation of the rifle, and that is, IMO, it is about the ugliest rifle ever built, with it's muzzle yokes to hold the barrels together, and the plastic rib between the barrels. The rear sight looks like an after thought, way out in the middle between the breach, and muzzle, on a tall island. Personally if I were going to buy a combi-cocking double rifle it would be the Krieghoff, not the Blaser! You will rarely hear me say this, If I had to make a choice between the Blaser bolt rifle, and the Blazer double rifle, it would be the bolt rifle every time! The Blaser is the only Double rifle made that I consider second best to a bolt rifle, even the Blaser bolt rifle!

All opinion, but it's worth what you paid for it, and you did ask for it! SORRY! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky
Both the above posters are correct on the operational points of the Blaser S2.

It is different and definately new technology.

I have shot a couple of S2's and found them to handle very well, [I think the 375 H&H is a little heavy for calibre, but it is soft shooting], and they have been very accurate.

I think the S2 just maybe the strongest double on the market.

But...

You must think of like a hammer double, in the fact that it must be recocked after the bbls are opened, whether you have fired only one bbl or both of them.

On the plus side it is uncocked, thus totally safe until it is cocked. The effort to cock it is more force than required to take off a "regular" double rifle but not that big a deal once you have practiced with it.

I do not have a S2 but I do have a Blaser D99 Duo Double Rifle Drilling that operates in the exact same way.
With it I have killed a pig, 2 turkeys, duck,squirrel, and a deer. I have not found operating it to be a problem.

Different than my other doubles, but not a problem.

On the S2's I have shot I have done some high speed reload drills and did not fine the "hood" to be a problem.

The S2 is different, but I would not be afraid to hunt DG with one.

Like any other rifle, the hunter needs to practice with it.

I can say this, I liked my Blaser D99 Duo 9,3x74RX9,3x74RX20ga so much, that I have ordered a second D99 Duo in 308X308X20ga.

I have never shot a BLASER PRODUCT THAT DID NOT IMPRESS ME WITH ITS ACCURACY, AND ITS 100% FUNCTIONING.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have an S2 in 9.3x74R and I really like it.

There are actually 2 types of S2 actions: the "normal" and the "Safari". For me, the Safari model is too heavy (but this might not be a bad thing for the very large calibers).

As mine is a 9.3, it is only used on driven hunts in Belgium and 2 shots is all I need. Reloading is fast and recocking is a reflex (I'm also used to shooting a shotgun with an auto-safe feature)

It's very accurate and you can regulate it to suit the load you want to use so if you like it, buy it and you won't regret it.

Proud DRSS member

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lucky1. The posts after mine are from folks far more knowledgeable than me, and you will notice have first hand experience! My advice/suggestion is that if you want a double rifle, buy one in a caliber that you will shoot a lot, not just one that you will shoot when you go to Africa. The 9.3 x 74R that I mentioned is a wonderful European caliber that is enjoying a revival in the States. It is a fun gun, easy to shoot and has impressive performance on game animals up to and including some of the African varieties! The S2 I mentioned above seems to be in the same price range as a Chapuis. Just a thought.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Nitehawk,

Your "kinda" right they use the same frame for the safari and regular. They set the triggers abit different, and put a kickstop in the butt of the safari's. They also use 62cm barrels on the safari's and 57cm barrels on the regular like your 9.3. I sure wish they would make the shorter barrels for heaver calibers. S2 are very accurate, but until they drop a pound or so,( make shorter barrels) I'll hold off.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been chastised in the past for not saying anything nice about the Blaser S2.

On the positive side, out of all the double rifles now on the market, they are the best tool for use as a bludgeon.

How's that?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from the blaser for all the reasons mentioned above. I've got a chapuis 9.3 and a merkel 470. I don't like the sights on the merkel as much, but that can be changed. I love both guns, but all things being equal, I'd go with a chapuis. Generally, the 9.3X74r's are priced relatively the same for Merkel and Chapuis, if that's the cal you're going for. I had to decide between both, and handled both before buying. I think the chapuis is aesthetically more attractive, and for me, it lines up and fits better than the merkel. Good luck.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
That was concise to the point accurate and articulate. Now tell us how you really feel about the Blaser. jumping beer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
best advise on blaser double rifles...... stay away from them !

their inventiveness is limited to copying others ideeas and passing them off as their own.

you should look at one of their "interpretation " of what a drilling should be. what a hoot !

it has the rifle barrel ....on top...of the shotgun barrels.

new, not at all.

i had one of the two known ithaca drillings circa 1900 and it had the rifle barrel on top

for new double rifles the names most would suggest are heym, merkel and chapius

very few if any complaints about any of these and all have a good back up service in usa

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nitehawk,

Your "kinda" right they use the same frame for the safari and regular. They set the triggers abit different, and put a kickstop in the butt of the safari's. They also use 62cm barrels on the safari's and 57cm barrels on the regular like your 9.3. I sure wish they would make the shorter barrels for heaver calibers. S2 are very accurate, but until they drop a pound or so,( make shorter barrels) I'll hold off.

Ed

DRSS Member

Thank you for that correction.

Proud DRSS member

one of us
posted Hide Post
A more Teutonic boat anchor would be hard to find. I agree that they would make a very nice T-Post pounder though.

Me no likey S-2. But they do shoulder well I have to say.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
A more Teutonic boat anchor would be hard to find. I agree that they would make a very nice T-Post pounder though.

Big Grin Awfully expensive for a double barrel tomato stake.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitehawk:
Well, I have an S2 in 9.3x74R and I really like it.

There are actually 2 types of S2 actions: the "normal" and the "Safari". For me, the Safari model is too heavy (but this might not be a bad thing for the very large calibers).

As mine is a 9.3, it is only used on driven hunts in Belgium and 2 shots is all I need. Reloading is fast and recocking is a reflex (I'm also used to shooting a shotgun with an auto-safe feature)

It's very accurate and you can regulate it to suit the load you want to use so if you like it, buy it and you won't regret it.

Nitehawk, could you give me some idea what your Blaser S2 in 9,3X74 weighs. I have been toying with the idea of picking up a double in that caliber but all the ones I have looked at including the Merkel and Chapuis seem so light. I have a bolt rifle in 9,3X62 that weighs in at around 8.5 lbs and with full house loads it generates a good amount of recoil. I am not sure I would want anything lighter than that.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I would not consider my 9,3x74R Chapuis fun off the bench, while hunting I do not notice the recoil at all.
It handles real well.

The S-2 does weigh a little more.
As a plus it takes the regular Blaser scope mount, which is the best factory mount there is IMHO.

You can regulate the bbls yourself.

The S-2's I have shot were very accurate.

Dave you might take a look at the Blaser D 99 Duo in 9,3x74RX9,3x74RX20ga 3".

I have one and like the way it handles better than the 9,3x74R S 2, and you get a 20 ga bbl as a bonus.

With the 20ga bbl it would be just the think with buckshot for some of the smaller stuff in Africa, or anywhere else for that matter.

It has become one of my favorite hunting guns. I killed a pig with it on the last DRSS hunt.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nitehawk, could you give me some idea what your Blaser S2 in 9,3X74 weighs

It weighs +/- 7.7 pounds, but it doesn't recoil that much. The stock layout may also have something to do with that.

Also, the 9.3x62 usually recoils more than the 9.3x74R (because it throws the same bullets a lot faster).

Proud DRSS member

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I take it you mean the more powerful 9,3x64, because in factory loadings, both 9,3x74R and 9,3x62 share the same ballistics. When handloaded, the '62 can be pushed a bit faster, though.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
9.3x62 usually recoils more than the 9.3x74R (because

The '62 can indeed be hot rodded when handloaded, but standard '62 RWS factory ammo is already 10% powerfull (eg: UNI Classic E(0): 5202J versus 4589J)

The '64 adds another 10%.

Proud DRSS member