Find
Notify
Tools

400 Nitro Express
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
I'm sad to report that 400 Nitro Express has passed away.

His wife texted me that he passed away in his sleep.

Some of you newer members of this Forum may not remember him but he was a prolific poster for a long time. For some reason he stopped posting a while ago but he was very knowledgeable, particularly on vintage British Doubles.

I first met him on one of the old DRSS hunts we used to do in Texas years ago and became friends. He was a great help to me in learning about doubles.

Godspeed Mark! (400 Nitro Express)

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. I think the last time I saw Mark was at the Heym shoot several years ago. Mark could be a bit of a curmudgeon and did not suffer fools lightly but was a good fellow under that facade and his knowledge of British doubles was unmatched. I hope someone ends up with all the records that he had compiled on serial numbers, manufacture dates, etc. for trade rifles supplied to a number of well-known makers.

My condolences to his wife, rest in peace.

Mike

Posts: 21381 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mark was a wealth of historical knowledge concerning vintage double rifles. May he Rest In Peace.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
This is sad news,may his soul rest in peace,my prayers for his loved ones.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
What a shame. Mark was the most knowledgeable double rifle man I have ever met. I hate he never wrote a book on them - his knowledge was encyclopedic. I would never had invested in a vintage British double without seeking his insight. As noted, he was a bit crusty sometimes, but at heart he was a real gentleman.

Godspeed, Mark.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Sorry to hear that. I think the last time I saw Mark was at the Heym shoot several years ago. Mark could be a bit of a curmudgeon and did not suffer fools lightly but was a good fellow under that facade and his knowledge of British doubles was unmatched. I hope someone ends up with all the records that he had compiled on serial numbers, manufacture dates, etc. for trade rifles supplied to a number of well-known makers.

My condolences to his wife, rest in peace.

Was he he gentleman in the red cap who went through the 360 NE2? If so, I greatly appreciated his willingness to share his knowledge. Even if I did not meet him. May you that knew him sadness be replaced at joy of your memories of him.

Posts: 11368 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. He will be missed.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed. His posts were always very informative.
Condolences to his loved ones.

Posts: 169 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
We will certainly miss Mark. Tony and I were hunting in New Mexico this weekend when we got the news from his wife.

Mark was an authority on British doubles, and he actually helped with the design on the 89B. (I knew better than to put something together that hew wouldn't approve of!)

We've lost a friend and a lot of knowledge.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Very sad news....Mark was a great person and was a walking encyclopedia on double rifles and loading for them. He will be missed

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All has been said. He will be missed, May the good Lord bless Mark and look over his family in years to come..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Was he he gentleman in the red cap who went through the 360 NE2? If so, I greatly appreciated his willingness to share his knowledge. Even if I did not meet him. May you that knew him sadness be replaced at joy of your memories of him.[/QUOTE]

I belive he did have on a red cap that day (my memory is not clear)

Tony let me know this past weekend as we were coming back to the rooms from our NM pronghorn hunt-
sad news,
will miss our talks

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Was he he gentleman in the red cap who went through the 360 NE2? If so, I greatly appreciated his willingness to share his knowledge. Even if I did not meet him. May you that knew him sadness be replaced at joy of your memories of him.

I belive he did have on a red cap that day (my memory is not clear)

Tony let me know this past weekend as we were coming back to the rooms from our NM pronghorn hunt-sad news,
will miss our talks[/QUOTE]

Can Colla: Then I did get to meet with him. He answered all my questions. I remember him telling me about his period, vintage catalogues. I also remember him stating he hated TSX bullets. If only for how they looked.

He broke down and went through the Webley built 360 NE2 from stock to bead for us.

That was a good day.

Posts: 11368 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Rusty called me to tell me that Marks wife had just called him to say Mark had passed in his sleep. He had a fall a while back and did some lasting damage that finally took him.

I agree that he was a load of information on vintage double rifles, and he could shoot that little 450-400 3". I saw him drop a running wild hog out to about 150 yds with one shot driving that hogs nose in the dirt cartwheeling him in a cloud of dust.

All the old DRSS guys will certainly miss Mark, and we all feel for his family for their loss! Rest in piece old friend!

…………………………………………………………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too enjoyed visiting with Mark. I'm learning about doubles, he shared a lot with this rookie, as did several folks at those shoots.

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote