THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Double Rifles, Odessa Texas, Jeff Wemmer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifles, Odessa Texas, Jeff Wemmer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Spent Saturday in the company of Jeff Wemmer while I was in Odessa. Jeff is a great guy with heart as big as West Texas.

We tried to go rabbit hunting, but apparently all the rain in Houston followed me to Odessa.
So we shot one of his 470s at the range on his lease. We spent the rest of the morning and most of the afternoon encamped at Gun Sport in Odessa visiting with John the owner and most of the customers who came in to the store.

I got to fondle the Keith Jeffery that jeff owns. She is even prettier in person! I'd call the bores damn near perfect!

Looking forward to another great visit on my next trip.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Rusty, thanks for moving the rain westward. dancing

Did Jeff ever pick up the SxS shotgun for his son?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You probably need to use a 470NE on those "big" West Texas jack-rabbits. I did 4 years in Midland and we would shoot them through the ears with a .22 rimfire - it was a lot of fun and they lived to fight another day (not that I'm a bunny hugger we just wanted to keep the population up, so we could have more fun).

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 24 July 2007 12:10 Hide Post
Rusty, thanks for moving the rain westward.

quote:
Rusty, thanks for moving the rain westward.

Keith

quote:

Keith

Sure did Keith....Excellent little gun....as advertised....Very pleased!
thumbThanks,

JW

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Glad you like it. I hope your son makes lots of great memmories with it.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MHC - I've found the 416 Rigby to be an excellent backup weapon for our big NM jacks. Have had to stop several charges and it's performed well so far. Buddy was using his 458 Watt (not a lot, a Watt) but he was tearing up the capes when he hit the skull.
Can't abide you shooting them thru the ears though. 10 jacks = 1 cow in my forage utilization model. Need to foster more cows since they more efficiently utilize the scales at the sale barn.
That does explain all the jacks we've been getting here with holes thru the ears. I thought for a while that the USDA or BLM had instituted some kind of NAIS on them and they were rubbing the tags out like the cows do. Wifey said they've been visiting the tatoo parlors in El Paso and getting pierced but I knew that couldn't be the case since they rarely pay for their forage and I couldn't see them paying for a piercing before food since they are light skinned. The darker colored ones maybe . . . but I digress.
To get back on thread, I strongly recommend that you cease your practice of piercing them with 22's. Leaves them wounded, mad, and potentially dangerous to unsuspecting persons wandering the prairie with their camera, BF net & birding binos. These folks don't even purchase "habitat" stamps so there is no way they could defend themselves in the event of an attack. Their only warning would be the tremendous teeth clacking noise they make right before the charge unless they happened to notice the ears flat back along their spine. Not to mention the personal danger you are incurring to yourself when engaged in this practice. Give me a PM and we'll coordinate my personal backup should you desire to engage in this practice in the future.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 934 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To get back on thread, I strongly recommend that you cease your practice of piercing them with 22's. Leaves them wounded, mad, and potentially dangerous to unsuspecting persons wandering the prairie with their camera, BF net & birding binos. These folks don't even purchase "habitat" stamps so there is no way they could defend themselves in the event of an attack. Their only warning would be the tremendous teeth clacking noise they make right before the charge unless they happened to notice the ears flat back along their spine. Not to mention the personal danger you are incurring to yourself when engaged in this practice

Gives me chills. They have been known to decapitate a man without warning.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys have been watching too much Monty Python. shame

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RUN AWAY RUN AWAY nilly

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait till y'all see our forthcoming video "Death by Long-Ears"... shocker

...Will make Sullivan's stuff look like a walk in the park with "Barney"... coffee

Stay tuned! stir

JW

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Nothing scares me more than standing down a charge from a Vorpal Bunny. Sometimes the sound of a can opener gives me shivers...

Razzer

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yikes!

I'm telling you, these "Rabbits" are very underrated...I've been charged several times by wounded "Jacks" and have nearly lost some really good dogs when they flush...They are the nemisis of any serious bird hunters...Thank God for HV 7.5 1/14 oz. 12 ga loads! lefty

Be careful this bird season!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank God for HV 7.5 1/14 oz. 12 ga loads

Good luck with that.

These lethal jacks are actually one of the few remaining colonies of the once thought extinct "cave rabbit". It was these cave rabbits that actually led to the extinction of the cave bear, shattering the myth that the bear was hunted to extinction.

The sound they make upon attack is not really similar to a can opener - it is a low pitched growling noise more like a trash compacter.

I have read in the big bore forum that even interlocks and TSX bullets completely fragment on hitting these tough beasts. And rumor has it you cannot push a solid hard enough to get the penetration you need. What you really need is depleted uranium with an explosive tip. Even then, to be effective, you need to be within hopping range. And that's too close for some folks.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
When you're inside full plate armour or an M1 tank, they sound like a can opener. I've heard that the sound much more low pitched when not fully protected, but I think that's a urban legend. No one is crazy enought to pull a stunt like that. Not even Will.

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm watching Jeff on my TV right now!

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GeoffM24,

That hunt was a "practice" run for my DRH (Dangerous Rabbit Hunt) video...

...We'll be going after the big "3"; cottontail, Snowshoe and lastly the dreaded "Jack"... shocker

...If anybody has some pointers for me I'd surely appreciate them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I trust you have at least one Holy Hand Grenade.

Are you going to let the wabbitt decide how he wants to die? You know, you must be vewy, vewy quiet...

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cave Rabbits? - No problem!

I've seen many in my area.

I was once stalked by the now extinct Jack-o-Pottomus. Fortuntely I smelled it while stealthily charging from it's pond side lair amongst the tall grasses. It approached in my "6" as they usually do with ears twirling and tusks gnashing in a full hop! I turned in time to slay the beast with two quick rounds of 3500 grains #12 shot in front of 700 grains of 3F followed by a third "compressed" load consisting of an fin stabilised tungsten dart wound with Schick double edge's laced with Old Spice. This last load was developed for me by the highly regarded PH and conservationist "A. Hun". I call it the "Killet Load". Kill & Fillet........

Tastes like chicken. Razzer

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The new Video "Rabbits, the Grand Slam" or our working title, "Death on the Hop"!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like a signed first edition please!

Posts: 13301 | Location: On the Couch with West Coast Cool | Registered: 20 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we occasionally are charged by a bull JR up here in Idaho, but a hot loaded 45 Long Colt round (300gr @1200fps) will almost always turn the charge...

You all do know the only fool proof way to stop a Bull jackrabbit charging you don't you? Take the American Express card away...they won't leave home without it! Big Grin

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I've never met Jeff but each time I go in Gun Sport I run into Jon Thomas Smiler

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I've never met Jeff but each time I go in Gun Sport I run into Jon Thomas Smiler

That is strange each time I go to Market Hall in Dallas I run into Jon Thomas. jumping
beer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well maybe we can all see each other at the DSC in January!
jumping

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That soundes like a good idea. Lets work on time and place aka high noon at the break area.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote