THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Another round of double rifles Krieghoff?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another round of double rifles Krieghoff?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I bought my first double rifle about 12 years ago. It was a Blaser, I bought it in Europe at Europe prices and it was a nice gun.

I turned 40 this year and the wife asked me what I wanted for a present. I have kind of yet to answer that question.

I am not sure I'll get it bought this year as I'd rather put the money into next years safari and hopefully a leopard, but I am starting to think about it.

I liked the decocker feature of the Blaser, but didn't care much for the rifle (it has some plastic bits).

Other than the Heym is more expensive than the Kreighoff and follows the British design a little closer, what reason would you choose for not owning a Krieghoff.

The reason I ask is that Cabelas has quite a few, and I am going to handle one next week in LA.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
No flies on mine.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't think of a single reason to not own one of the new Krieghoffs with the selective ejectors. The only reason to not own one of the older ones would be if you just had to have ejectors. They are great guns and I love the safety of the cocking device.

Posts: 147 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 December 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I enjoy my 9.3x74... I like the straight higher comb. It is an accurate double. I wished I had a 375 flanged, it would be perfect then. I like the comb-cock system on the K-gun. The Blaser decocks, on opening where the K-gun does not...way better...Every K-gun I have messed with (2) 470s, 500-416, 500, and my 9.3x74 have shot lights out for a double...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with a K-Gun. First Stop has had a 500 NE for sale for some time at $8,950.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wished I had a 375 flanged,

Ed, from a ballistics point of view, the 9.3x74 and the 375 FL are pretty much the same gun, and 9.3 ammunition is much easier to obtain.

PS: Quityerbitchin!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:

PS: Quityerbitchin!!!

I am never satisfied.....

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am never satisfied.....

Yes, the curse of a gun nut!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I shot one a few years ago (470 NE) it slapped me in the face each time I shot it. The guy who owned it had been slapped in the face to the point of having a thin bloody line on his cheek that day. I hate rifles that are face slappers. Also, the triggers were horrible. I don't know if I just stumbled into a rifle who's cast was off and QC was poor or if they are all that way. My much hated (here) Sabatti 450 NE is not a face slapper and the triggers are ok.

Also, is it Krieghoff or Merkel that has the issues with doubling?

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no beefs with mine,I like the combi device setup, easy to operate, they are good about the options you can put on it, to order one the way you want it. I had the 30R built with the Big 5 stock, handles and shoots fine.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have two; a 450-400 with an American stock and a 9.3 with a Bavarian stock. I like both very much. Never heard of a K gun doubling. And the triggers on mine are excellent. I would love to have a Heym but they are hand built and as such, not subject to any modern manufacturing techniques, like the Krieghoff has. There is nothing wrong with Krieghoffs and the cocking is easy to get used to. Like pushing a big safety off and then it stays cocked until you release it.
Wyoming, you have to be the youngest person on AR. Good.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500/416 what do you think?

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Excellent cartridge; ballistics of a 416 Rem or Rigby in a DR; non traditional which is why I got the 450-400, with lesser power.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I have a K-gun in 500-416,used it on buff,complete satisfaction,it is an awesome cartridge.Easy to reload as well.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:

I submit that the Krieghoff Big Five in that caliber is PERFECT for the client hunter.
If you have the money scope it with a top quality 1x6 with illuminated reticle in a QD mount.
This can then be your one rifle for hunting the entire WORLD over.
clap wave clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Yes- some of the the early K Big 5's did double on occasion--
I owned one of the very 1st ones- a 500-
Went back to Ottsville for the fix-

Yes-accurate rifles-
most calibers are barreled with Heym barrels-

the K barrels are just not contoured as are the ones Heym places on their own doubles-

Yes- safe action--
a good 50 to 100 yard rifle -
not a quick 10 yard rifle-
you cannot actuate the cocking piece from the shouldered position--without releasing your grip--
to save your life--

Best to cock on the way up to the shoulder-

In the past the 470's and 500's were too light for caliber and nose heavy-
fierce little gun's to shoot-
so-kickoffs or weights were added to the stock--

resulting ineven worse handling characteristics -

Perhaps they have improved now --do not know-

Everyone is entitled to there choice--
after owning over 30 DR's -
I would not choose another Big Bore K gun-

Nor would I choose the 500-416 chambering in any make--- shot one, quite a bit-also a K Gun

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True; I think they only have one barrel weight, which makes the 450-400, rather heavy, but also makes it very comfortable to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Budget is always a concern, and there are things I want it to have.

The decocker makes a lot of sense to me. I have used one on my old 9.3x74R Blaser, and used one on the Blaser K95 (I still own) and R93s (I will never own again).

I am not someone who believes in using a safety catch. I have had several mauser and M70 rifles that fired when the safety was slipped off. Scared the bejeezus out of me. I have also had a Ruger #1 do the same thing.

A decocker is a different animal all together now itsn't it. The rifle can not fire because it is out of battery.

I have not seen a 2nd hand K gun in 450/400. Cabelas has a number of K-Gun safari classics in a wide variety of calibers.

500/416, 9.3x74R, 470, 375 and 500.

I can't see past my nose, anything I own will have a scope on it. 1-6 made in Europe or a Leupold VX-6.

A couple of those 2nd hand K-guns have K-gun mounts on them. That is a huge savings, and a very high selling point for me.

I have seen some K-gun combos with two sets of barrels for under $10,000. Not sure what the market will bear right now, but after I get the next safari figured out and pay for our move this fall.......I WANT ONE!

There are a few in Egun.de and enough around at Frankonia, Triebel and Waffen Scrum that I might just hop on an an aircraft and try and get one shipped in. Especially with the Euro tanking like it has.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:

Yes-accurate rifles-

the K barrels are just not contoured as are the ones Heym places on their own doubles-

Yes- safe action--
you cannot actuate the cocking piece from the shouldered position--without releasing your grip--
to save your life--

Nor would I choose the 500-416 chambering in any make--- shot one, quite a bit-also a K Gun

Good to know.We rarely have anyone criticizing anything here.I have heard good things about Heym barrels.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:

Yes-accurate rifles-

Yes- safe action--
to save your life--

I have had quite a few guns that were face slappers, I'd have to see how the K gun fits me. I have not personally held one in my hands.

I am interested in the 500/416 and 450/400 because I want a more versatile caliber. Not because there is anything wrong with the 470 and 500s.

I also plan on scoping it.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
and R93s (I will never own again).

Realize this is your DR thread - care to elaborate on your R93 commentary?

And if you are taking nominations for caliber--
the 450-400 is my pick for a one gun Double Rifle Battery

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:
quote:
and R93s (I will never own again).

Realize this is your DR thread - care to elaborate on your R93 commentary?

And if you are taking nominations for caliber--
the 450-400 is my pick for a one gun Double Rifle Battery

I don't like pieces of steel embedded into my face. So I sold all mine off. This has been beaten to death on AR since the R93 was originally introduced. No reason to discuss it anymore.

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
500/416 has near 5000 FP ME, 450/400 has about 4000

500/416 has flatter trajectory if shooting at a wounded,
fleeing beast; and will penetrate said beast deeper, all
else being equal.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think either one would make a fine rifle. Just depends on what I can find.

Seems to be a few 2nd handy ones on sale.

I am hopefully going to make it to Pacific Firearms in LA next Saturday before they close. I have other stuff going on, if not I'll catch it a couple weeks later.

They have the majority of the inventory out here in California.

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't like pieces of steel embedded into my face. So I sold all mine off. This has been beaten to death on AR since the R93 was originally introduced. No reason to discuss it anymore.

noted-
disagree, but noted

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote