THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Anticipation (Met in Spades!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anticipation (Met in Spades!)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I got a call from Butch yesterday. He had just regulated my Classic .450/.400 3" and afterwards blued it. It was in his hands as he spoke and he was putting the forearm back on getting ready for a final right and left to make sure the bluing didn't change the regulation (which can happen, but is rare).

It has his mounting system where Talley rings are QD with a Leupold 2.5x scope. He told me that it regulated just fine with irons and the scope.

Tonight, it will be in the hands of FedEx and arrive in mine in the morning and I'll add some pictures!

Reckon that I'm excited?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am envious. My double won't be ready for a while.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

dancing dancing dancing dancing dancing

Congratulations!

(Is there an emoticon for ENVY Big Grin )

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

This is going to be a long day! Can't wait to see pictures.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Ernest,
Congrats, I still remember the feeling! It's a shame that your not attending the DRSS Brady hunt, I for one would have loved to fondle your new love! Happy hunting my friend!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a shame that your not attending the DRSS Brady hunt, I for one would have loved to fondle your new love!

Guess that means you'll just have to fondle your own.....same old, same old

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
judge,
first the 9.3 & now the 400,man you are having fun Smiler,what length are the barrels?
like Doc said I wish you were coming to Brady!

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernest:

Try not to drop it. Big Grin
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Ernest!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Ernest get your butt down here for the DRSS hunt! Bring that classic, and I'll break it in for you! Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
congrats on your new searcy!!!!!!!!!!! beer...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Good to hear Ernest, sorry I couldn't make it up to Butch's in the last couple of months to take some pictures for you.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I have handled and shot several of Butches classic rifles. They shoot as good as they look. clap In my opinion the classic compares with rifles that are twice the price.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets see.... A scoped 9,3x74R Chapuis double.....
and a scoped 450/400.....

That is a PERFECT PAIR. thumb Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It'll look better than you can imagine ..... a REAL classic.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No pictures yet? You get us all worked up and just leave us hanging!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Tracking from FedEx has it arriving before 4:30 tomorrow... but you'll be a bit surprised by the pictures!

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
but you'll be a bit surprised by the pictures!

Confused

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it has been rebored? bewildered

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
I wonder if it has been rebored? bewildered

Breech is 450, muzzle is 400. The first ever SxS squeeze bore. clap

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats to you......cant wait to see the pictures!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Earnest,

Where are the pictures?

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
But this is a .470 with an extended tang?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dang that's a good looking rifle!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just what I thought, it was rebored.

Earnest, nice looking rifle. Looking forward to the range report.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exqusite rifle Judge! What is your intended target for blooding?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ernest,

She sure is purdy!

Why don't you ship it to the 4K ranch in Brady and we'll break her in for you next weekend? Wink

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here's what happened. BTW, this message is endorsed by the Future Dead African Elephants Union, I guess for giving them 500 grains at 2150 f.p.s. of respect, regardless of what Papa Pondoro, Will or Tony say.... or me, in the past, for that matter? Roll Eyes

A couple of years ago, on a trip to the Selous buffalo hunting, I got amongst lots of buffalo, lots of times. I had taken two rifles with iron sights. A .450/400 Westley Richards with express sights and a .405 Winchester model 1895 with a great old Lyman model 21 peep.

I tend to be an perfectionist when I'm shooting game. I want to know exactly where the bullet will impact. Not just in the heart/lung area, but on which hair. At least on Buff past spitting distance, I found that my eyes were too old to find that hair with irons.

Later that year, I went elephant hunting with a .470 Nitro Express double and realized that within 20 yards, express sights were the only way to go. If I can get a "luggie" there, I can see to kill, to put it coarsely.

So... I figured out that I needed both. A Jack-of-two-trades. A double for buffalo that had a scope to pick out the hair I wanted at 60 yards and was still elephant capable with the QD scope removed. A Searcy Classic .450/.400 seemed to be the answer... so I ordered one.

And then, I became adulterous. I found a Merkel 141E, 9.3x74 double that weighed less than a good and fluffy biscuit and had almost the same muzzle energy as a .450/.400... and was regulated both with a scope and irons. I began to sleep with the little beauty since my normal squeeze, Paris was going to jail... or in and out of jail.

Hey, I had a Searcy coming in .450/.400... what was I going to do but have the same rifle, twice, although one on steroids.

It was coming in a day as I wrote above... and then Butch called and asked if I was sure I wanted the rifle I ordered and which he was putting in a box ... or since he knew I really, really like hunting elephants.. would I like a .470, built to the same specs... but with a long tang and a few other add-ons... with no scope (which is tits on a boar hog on a 25 yard rifle anyway)...

I said yes, and I got the .470 today. I didn't immediately bond. I had to go get the little Merkel 141E and reconfirm that it would do just fine for my regular shoot-em-up rifle.... but that damn powerful and good-looking .470 that doesn't allow elephants to ask questions looked pretty good, too. Maybe I was becoming a Morman?

I made my decision and the .470 stayed home today.. no longer on approval, but a new family member.. home forever or until death do us part.... and the little Merkel was not jealous a bit. She just moved over in the bed and made room for the new big dog... but did I tell you about the Whitworth .458 I got last week that I'm putting a three-position safety on and which didn't cost but $600.00? Life is full of decisions.

For the virgin bloodletting trip, I'm going to Tanzania in September for buffalo. I'll take the 9.3x74 and the Searcy... probably screw up stalks again because I can't see and kill the snot out of a buff or two with the illegal 9.3.. who knows? Elephant in Zim in March and Botswana for elephant and Santa Claus in December of 2008 exclusively with the new Searcy, though.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awesome looking rifle, Ernest. Now get you butt over to the DRSS hunt next week in Brady Texas.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish my good friends would cut Butch some slack, so I can get my rifle, he keeps putting me back on the list, one of the bad things about friendship, he knows I won't hurt him when he does such vial deeds! but I suppose it's worth his friendship which I cherish, Maybe!! Smiler Smiler Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote