THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    At the range with the 470 K-Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At the range with the 470 K-Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
First of all I bought a box of Hornady soft nose 470s and shot a couple through the chronograph. They averaged 2155 FPS. Recoil is substantially more than my reloads. I couple of wise men on this site (Mac and Tony I think) have recommended chambering all ammunition before going on a hunt. One of the Hornady rounds WILL NOT chamber in my K-Gun. This is the kind of thing that can get you killed. I am contacting Hornady about this problem; hopefully it does not happen to anybody during a hunt.
My Woodeigh softs with 90 grains of RL-15 are averaging 2080 FPS. The solids with 89 grains of RL-15 are averaging 2100 FPS. The solids are printing 1 ¼” at 50 yards. The softs are holding about two inches at the same distance. The strange thing is the softs string vertically. Windage is great. What could cause the vertical stringing? I thought it may be my hold but I have seen this happen before both from a cold barrel and hot barrel.
The adjustment Krieghoff performed has definitely helped keep the barrels more fully open. This has sped up reloading the rifle.
I ended up shooting 30 rounds today with 10 off the bench and 20 practicing standing, all in all a good day.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the fix! beer
I have no idea about the vertical stringing. You might try weighing the brass on your powder scale, to see if there is any very different weights among them. The outsides of the cases being the same, and heavy brass will have less powder capacity, and vice-versa for the light ones. This will cause a difference in chamber pressures enough to cause stringing, if a wide enough margine in weight.
How much difference is there in the top to bottom string?

All four shot groups should start with a "ROOM TEMPRATURE" barrel set. If the rifle is not allowed to cool between groups grouping will suffer. The double rifle is designed to be carried with the first shot fired from an ambiant temp. barrel, followed in 8 seconds with the second shot. The next two will always open the spread. One barrel being tied to the other when suddenly heated, will warp the barrel tied to it slightly, the next shot will be with both barrels warm, and heat that barrel further, also warping the other barrel. The longer the time between the four shots the more the POI will be effected.

When working up loads for a new, or new to me double rifle, I use the canned air made to blow dust off your keyboard, and shoot the cool air down the barrels between groups, cools them quicker, so I can get a lot more loads worked up in the same amount of time.

Glad you got your rifle back in time for your safari! good luck!
BOOM................ holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

How did the Softs shoot with 88 grains?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have only shot 89 grains of RL 15 and some 4831 loads. The 89 gr of RL 15 was running about 2060 FPS.

Most rounds have been shot standing at 25 yards as I am trying to really learn the nuances of shooting the rifle before going to Africa. But I started looking at other targets and saw a pattern of vertical stringing with the two barrels, with the right shooting higher.

The overal group with the 2 softs and two solids were fine. I just think it could be better.

I am a little suprised there have not been any comments about the round not being able to chamber. I sent an email to Hornady and await their response.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I had some Kynoch 470 ammo that wouldn't chamber (not letting the action fully close) in a Heym I had. Kynamco blew me off so I just sold it.

If you are just shooting off-hand I would be happy with that group. Close enough for buff and ele.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
The target is 50 yards from a rest, testing loads.

My targets at 25 yards, offhand, shooting as fast as I can, look similar.

My hunt next month is elephant and buff, the 470 is the only rifle I am bringing, hopefully I get close (real close) and we leave the shooting sticks at camp.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

That looks plenty good to me.

I would shoot the rifle at 100 yards [and even 150 yards].

I also recommend you travel with your double broken down.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
FWIW, you should take a backup rifle, just in case. "Camp" rifles usually leave a lot to be desired.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2

Thanks, I purchased a a short Storm Case and carry the rifle broken down.

Will,

I am trying to travel light. I went back and forth about bringing my AHR CZ .375 for backup. I am taking the chance everything works out with the one rifle. I will ask Martin what kind of rifles he has for backup if needed.

Thanks,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

I recommend you take 2 rifles as well.

I have taken "regular" bolt rifles in a take down case by taking the barreled action out of the stock.

This was before I discovered the Blaser R 93. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
NE 450 No2

Thanks, I purchased a a short Storm Case and carry the rifle broken down.

Will,

I am trying to travel light. I went back and forth about bringing my AHR CZ .375 for backup. I am taking the chance everything works out with the one rifle. I will ask Martin what kind of rifles he has for backup if needed.

Thanks,
I recommend putting your storm case inside a duffel bag and pack your clothes around the gun case. It just looks like another duffel, thieves don't know there is a gun inside. The clothes also help protect the gun. I put the clothes in small bags so it is not a hassle when you have to take the gun out at customs.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote