Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
In February 2011 I bought a Chapuis UGEX 9,3X74R double rifle from Ken. After trying various bullets, I completed my final soft point load development yesterday. The load came right out of the Hornady manual, Hornady case, Winchester large rifle magnum primer, 55.7 grains of Reloder 15 and a 286 grain Hornady SP-RP. That load regulates well in my gun and velocity is right around 2250 fps.

I have to tell you that I love this rifle/cartridge combination. It would be a great round for cats and within 50 meters of so, I doubt that any animal could tell the difference between this little 9,3 and a flanged .375. It is light and it handles like a 20 gauge. I have been so impressed with this Chapuis that I am going to have to have another, an 8X57JRS O/U. Chapuis makes a great double.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, the Chapuis in 9.3x74R is one rifle that seems to impress everyone, even folks who could afford the best in DRs made. Between balance, handling, shootability, and accuracy, it seems to have it all. And for around $5K (UGEX), that's alot to ask for.

Posts: 20140 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Agree with all - I have had great success using 55.0gr RL15 and with 67.0gr H414 with the Hornady bullet. This is a very accurate load for thin skinned game. Plus, the Chapuis is a real hoot to shoot!
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Have to partially agree!

LOVE the rifle but prefer to shoot a decent bullet like the CEB! You boys can keep that Hornady fodder! sofa

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Todd - ok - I just read all the posts about CEB bullets in your thread and others. It appears i have been missing something. Are you going to be at SCI? If so, I would like to discuss with you.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
While I have no Africa experience, I am going to have to disagree with you guys, especially with respect to the Hornady 9,3. This bullet was made specifically made for the 9,3X74R velocity. Michael tested them and they worked perfectly. Steve Hornady and many others have killied pretty much everything in Africa with a Hornady bullets and I have used them on all kinds of North American game without any problem. The Hornady bullets of today are much better than the Hornady bullets of 20 years ago and if I had a PH that told me I couldn't shoot what I wanted, I get a new PH.

Sub, who is the PH who won't let anyone shoot Hornady bullets? I want to make sure Steve know about that.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Subsailor:

I just got off the phone with Steve Hornady. I will see him again at a funeral at 6:00 p.m. Steve said that the information that you posted about the failure of a Hornady bullet almost getting him killed was "a complete, 100% fabrication.. a lie". He requested that you post specifics such as when, where, who else was present, etc. Again, I ask the name of the ZIM PH who won't let you use Hornady bullets. I want to make sure I never book a hunt with him.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Dave - this is getting too personal. If Steve said it was a lie, I take him at his word. I have met him and he is a fine gentleman. I hope both of you accept my sincere apology. I did not have first hand knowledge, so I should have kept silent on the issue. I shoot Hornady bullets on plains game, and they are very accurate.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Admiral,

Yes I will be at SCI. Would love to meet you as well. I'll PM my contact info.

For info on the CEB's check out Michael458's thread on Terminal Bullet Performance under Big Bores, and the Double Rifle Bullet of the Future under Double Rifles. There is a lot of info there. I and do mean A LOT!

A completely new concept in expanding bullets with the Non-Con. A refinement of bullet shape with the BBW#13 solids. All while reducing pressure and barrel strain with the bore rider design.

Dave, although I don't like Hornaday bullets, my post was in jest. I do know several PH's that advise against using the DGX but don't know of any that outright prohibit them. As far as who they are, I think it's best to hear it from them first hand. If that's an issue for you when booking your trip, just ask the guy you are booking with for his opinion. Obviously, when spending that kind of coin, there will be many things you'll want to discuss with your PH beforehand, just add this question to your list.

When are you planning on going and with who? I would highly recommend Charlton McCallum Safaris if you haven't settled on an outfitter already.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sub:

Apology accepted. I live in the town where Hornady bullets are made and I think they make a darn fine product. I have shot and hunted with Hornady and Speer bullets many times over the years and I hate it when people tell me that cup and core bullets don't work. They work fine as long as you pay attention to impact velocity. In most instances, at impact velocities below 2600 fps, they work just fine. Sometimes, they work at much higher impact velocity. I used to shoot the 154 grain Hornady Spire Point in my 7mm Rem Mag and it was a stone cold killer even at very close range. I can honestly say that I have never had a failure with a Hornady bullet. You just have to be careful to match your bullet with your cartridge. In my .338 Ruger Compact Magnum I am launching a 225 grain Hornady at 2600 fps. IMHO, there is no reason to use a tougher bullet. However, in my .340 Weatherby, I shoot a 225 TSX. The homogenous bullets have their own set of problems. I almost always drop down in bullet weight with the monometals because I think if they are too long, they are much more inclined to "tumble" upon impact. Remember, Woodleigh bullets are basically cup and core bullets albeit with a bonded core. According to Pierre van der Walt, Mike Brady once told him that "when done properly, bonding is, at best, the icing on the cake but it is not the cake. The underlying design, materials, and construction constitute the cake." At the modest impact velocity that we get from our little 9,3X74s, that 286 grain Hornady is going to do just fine.

Sub, I thought awhile and I wanted to add one caveat here about the monometals. With Michael's BBW#13 solids or Woodleigh Hydros, I do not drop down in weight. The nose profile of these bullets keeps them on a straight line. Michael's BBW#13s are a fantastic solid but I think the Hydros may turn out the be the best all around bullet ever. I have tried the .458s at the range and I am anxious to try some of their 9,3s.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE