THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    what happened to all of the Jamison brass?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what happened to all of the Jamison brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted
I deal with Midway mostly, and they had a large selection in stock, and had some marked as "coming soon", but now, when ready to order, it's all gone. And, not just some of it, I mean, all calibers. It's all gone.
Except for .500 3", and possibly .470, none is to be had at all.
I have written Midway, but what I'm concerned about are other suppliers and if it's also happening to them, and whether or not this should be of serious concern in the coming months.
Anyone with any info on this?

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, Jamison is tied up with making brass for Uncle Sam. For the time being anyway.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard the same thing...he has a huge order for military brass as the ammo used in Iraq is draining the suupply.
I'm waiting for him to make the new Newton brass as he had promised. But, it has to wait because of his other emergency brass committment.
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Osama Bin Hidin': It's taking a lot of brass to flush him out of the sewer.

Hopefully the steady work will build a better future at Jamison International when Marc gets back to serving the little guys at home.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The metals market is very active right now and that will affect supply too.

While on the subject, how good is Jamison? And compared to Norma? And please, I know it's half the price. But is Norma all truly match grade?

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rank Jamison dead up with anybody's offerings.
Some Norma brass is a bit soft, which limits velocities. They do drill the primer pockets, so they are uniform, and tolerances are good. Besides all of that; if I chose, I could be at Jamison's plant in about ten hours to visit and see the circus!

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
Midway answered, and they could not find an explanation, only saying that it is "temporarily" delayed, but that they will continue to carry it.
I had no idea Jamison was supplying the military until now. I had thought Lake City and Winchester did that until now, which tells me, the military is reaching out for more production than normal---Iran anyone?-hope not, or maybe they are trying hard to resupply old stocks which they have been milking dry since 2001.
As for quality, I love Jamison brass--it's great. For more than just a quality reason---mainly because he has begun to offer those that are rare, and hard to find, and I really loved the prices on the .577 brass and others.
I just hope it all gets back to normal some day.
But hey, if they need fightin' brass, let them have it.
I was just reminded of Kynoch production during WWII. Everyone goes through these slumps when this happens.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that no such Stockpile exists
at Lake City or anywhere else and it gets
made and shipped direct to the units - well virtually anyway.

MAST - the old Bell - make some Brass,
I get the impression that everyone is making
brass for the US Military.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All the machines that MAST was using to make BeLL type brass was sold to Jamison almost two years ago or more. I believe that MAST had an agreement with BELL and stamped their brass BeLL.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,

correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MAST Technology run by Bell's son? They sold off some of the Bell company to PMC and kept the obsolete (read FUN stuff) caliber production...then sold it to Jamison who moved to Sturgis area.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich:

Yes and no. Yes, my understanding is that Mast Tech was Bell, Jr. However, my understanding was that all of Jim Bell, Sr.'s machinery went to PMC Eldorado, which is why they bought the company.

After BELL sold, as they were the only manufacturer of the flanged nitro cases at the time, the existing BELL stock dried up fast. Eldorado printed full color brochures (I still have one) of the flanged nitro cases they were going to make. The truth was that they were only interested in the machinery and had no intention of making any of BELL's old line. They strung us along for a couple of years, and never made any.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote