THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .500 NE Merkel...getting finalized
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 NE Merkel...getting finalized
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted

This is a group I shot today. I shot at 30 yds (where shade was from target) off sticks. There are 2 North Fork Solids in there as well...they were my fouling shots as I had them left over from previous investigation loads with R-17...but they aren't bad either! Wink

R2/L2 - R4/L4 are CEB BBW #13 570gr solids crimped UNDER the top band with LFC die. They are over a Fed 215 and 96gr of R-15 and a square foam plug from the bullet box (thank you Sam Smiler)

97 gr of R-15 was just a smidge hot in my rifle. Last time I chronoed 96gr...it was ~2100 fps. I am gonna shoot 6 now at 50 and if good...will chrono once more for final velocity analysis. Temp was right at 100F at the time I shot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have it! Nice shooting!

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Minute of Buffalo I would say. Nice!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

Looks great. Glad you got those loads worked out and be confident hunting anywhere in the world with it. Congrats, and good shooting.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
With the bullets seated where my rifle likes them and going back to 96 gr of R-15...there is about one driving band width's (band of a CEB) of airspace. When you compact one of those little square foam cubes from the bullet box...it neatley fills about that much space. That is why I went back to some foam... and it seems to be the sweet spot! I'll post the 50 yd targets when I get them shot as well as the velocity from my 23.5" barrels. That rifle is just so handy...I love it...especially with Bailey's peep sight...which made a huge difference in my shooting!!!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

That is an absolutely perfect iron sighted 500NE composite group! Congratulations sir! beer
................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting Lane and it looks like you've really got the gun / load dialed in! Now, when are you heading over the pond to use it and on what?!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac...coming from you...that is quite the complement!

Todd,

Ele is the quarry...have not set the exact specifics yet...but sometime with in the next 12 months.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Mac...coming from you...that is quite the complement!

Todd,

Ele is the quarry...have not set the exact specifics yet...but sometime with in the next 12 months.

Very good. I'm going for Tuskless in October and then again for Bull in April. Let me know if you want to share a camp. It will be with Buzz. I don't know what his remaining quota looks like however. Just a thought to contemplate!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Thank you very much for the offer and I believe the experience would be delightful...will keep it in mind. I have a couple of friends that take care of my Africa needs usually but you never know.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Todd,

Thank you very much for the offer and I believe the experience would be delightful...will keep it in mind. I have a couple of friends that take care of my Africa needs usually but you never know.

Lane, in any event, we should get together and do some shooting soon. I don't know if you saw my hunt report from NZ:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...5621043/m/5861079671

but during that hunt I took a fall. Broke 3 fingers and fractured the 7th rib on the right side. As soon as I heal up from that, I'll be ready to hit the range again. I'll call you then and maybe we can send a few rounds downrange together!

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Smiler sounds good...hope you mend well

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'd call that minute of buffalo or elephant! Good shooting!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Shootin' Doc, my little 500 NE does very well with H-4350 and the Barnes' at around 2150.

I gotta try some of the BBW's for it and my 577 NE, I'm hearing they are the DR bullets Champs.

JM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the complements! Smiler

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Lane

Mighty Fine!

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You look like you are good to go. Good shooting.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Lane now you know you just have to align the sights and it will happen.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote