THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Your thoughts on this as first double
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your thoughts on this as first double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm still waiting for its arrival. It's a bit short in the LOP but seller didn't know where to measure for LOP but I still need a good inch added, suggestions? 2 inch pad? Called Butch for the regulation load and he suggested TSX bullets to hunt with. I'll call Larry at Superior to load some ammo for me as Butch suggested.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=353854387

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
If it is made by Butch then that is a good buy. Quite a basic double and some of the wood to metal fit needs working on but otherwise a good tool.

Let's see how it shoots?

'only accurate rifles are interesting'

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9972 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Great caliber, great maker,and great price. For a first or tenth DR, that one will be excellent since it is from Searcy. You should really load your own ammo unless you have a lot of money to throw at ammo; it is fun to load and much cheaper. LOP? you might have to add a spacer if 13 inches is too short for you. I don't know of a 2 inch pad and would not want one anyway; use a hard black spacer or a wood one.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Looks like a darn good price on a nice double in wonderful caliber. To pick up a .375 Flanged built by Butch for what looks like may have been around $5K, I would have done that deal.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Great caliber, great maker,and great price. For a first or tenth DR, that one will be excellent since it is from Searcy. You should really load your own ammo unless you have a lot of money to throw at ammo; it is fun to load and much cheaper. LOP? you might have to add a spacer if 13 inches is too short for you. I don't know of a 2 inch pad and would not want one anyway; use a hard black spacer or a wood one.

I thought that brass was hard to come by. Can you recommend a good set up and where to source the components and hardware? I reload shotguns but have not ventured into centerfires. I saw a vid of a DRSS member's 470 with what looked like a 2 in leather covered pad and I was thinking of having my stocker fashion one up for me. Another thought was an ebony wood spacer and a pad. I'm not worried about how it shoots since I know Searcy has a great reputation for building accurate rifles. What about Butch's recommendation for a mono metal bullet? I know he should know what you can and cannot shoot in his guns,but???

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Midsouth shooters supply; In stock. Midway lists it as special order, but it is not hard to get. Just costs. Bullets? He knows that his barrels are made from chrome moly steel and they can take anything. Get a RCBS rock chucker press.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great deal on a Searcy made DR. Captech International produces Jameson brass for the .375 flanged. Should be good to go. Another option is to have Butch restock the rifle for your length of pull.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be filed on for Hiway Robbery..You stold that gun..good move my man...
My best friend slays buffalo and whatall with hid Searcy .375 flanged..If I ever buy another that's what I'll buy...I would just add one of those nice leather lace on or the one with a flap and use it when I hunt, that will give you the need length without addin on a huge ugly big ole pad..Butch might even trade you out if you tempt him with a little boot, on a new butt stock, he has been known to do strange things.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's one of Butch's early doubles, when he made them on Browning BSS actions. Nothing wrong with that. The wood is a very nice upgrade, for sure.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
That's one of Butch's early doubles, when he made them on Browning BSS actions. Nothing wrong with that. The wood is a very nice upgrade, for sure.

Agree with Jon, however the 13" LOP over pad is a major problem IMO.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Agree with Jon, however the 13" LOP over pad is a major problem IMO.

I agree Don but I don't it's insurmountable I will try Ray's suggestion of a leather slip on, I have a few laying around. Approaching Butch for a new stock may be an option but I really like the way this one looks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd wait until I received it to worry about LOP. As you say, the seller didn't know how to measure LOP, and the proportions in the photo don't look out of norm.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun for a first double.

Is it 375 Flanged 2" 1/2 or 375 Flanged Mag?

Measuring the pic shows 13" LOP from front trigger to middle of but pad. I'd just use a lace up leather pad and hunt with it.

If you start talking about restocking the shotgun conversion you may never get your money back if you ever sell and the additional cost would be getting you close to one of Searcy's base model new doubles for around $8k ish that he was offering.

Rhodes

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course you're right Rhodes restocking is unlikely. It's chambered in .375 Flanged Magnum not the 2 1/2" Nitro Express. I've got several options for the stock so I'm not that worried.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txlonghorn:
It's chambered in .375 Flanged Magnum not the 2 1/2" Nitro Express.

Lovely tu2

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a great buy! If I'd seen that first, it would have been mine.
I have one of those BSS conversions in 470 NE, and it has been a wonderful rifle for me. A great working rifle. It was my first double, and it has been a winner.
Incidentally, I paid $6000 in 2004. It was a good buy at that level, even then.
Congratulations.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle and a good buy!

I have a suggestion that I think is better than a black filler or lace on pad.

A few years ago I bought a 20 bore Francotte hammer shotgun with a short stock. My solution was to buy a piece of straight grained English walnut which I glued onto the original stock and doweled top and bottom. Both mating surfaces were squared up previous to fitting. Then I shaped the oversized extension to match the original stock.

I used alcohol based wood tints and small brushes to extend the dark streaking in the original wood back onto the plain wood. I just went with a checkered butt cut to length.

Next step for you would prob be to fit a recoil pad.

I then stained the new wood to match as close as I could get it. When I was happy with that, I stained everything with an oil based wood stain and darkened the stock gradually towards the butt. When that was dry, I used fine steel wool to lighten it back a little and blend the colors and then finished as usual.

I see the repair, but most people who have handled the gun don't even notice the extension unless I tell them it's there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
That's a great buy! If I'd seen that first, it would have been mine.
I have one of those BSS conversions in 470 NE, and it has been a wonderful rifle for me. A great working rifle. It was my first double, and it has been a winner.
Incidentally, I paid $6000 in 2004. It was a good buy at that level, even then.
Congratulations.

Well then I'm glad you didn't see it first. I was ready to hit the BIN at $5500 but decided to offer him $4000. He agreed but couldn't change the BIN since there was a bid on it already so it went until the end. His reserve was only $3500. Now what do you guys think of this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=356727585 I passed on it only because of the chambering. Was that a mistake?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MACD:
Nice rifle and a good buy!

I have a suggestion that I think is better than a black filler or lace on pad.

A few years ago I bought a 20 bore Francotte hammer shotgun with a short stock. My solution was to buy a piece of straight grained English walnut which I glued onto the original stock and doweled top and bottom. Both mating surfaces were squared up previous to fitting. Then I shaped the oversized extension to match the original stock.

I used alcohol based wood tints and small brushes to extend the dark streaking in the original wood back onto the plain wood. I just went with a checkered butt cut to length.

Next step for you would prob be to fit a recoil pad.

I then stained the new wood to match as close as I could get it. When I was happy with that, I stained everything with an oil based wood stain and darkened the stock gradually towards the butt. When that was dry, I used fine steel wool to lighten it back a little and blend the colors and then finished as usual.

I see the repair, but most people who have handled the gun don't even notice the extension unless I tell them it's there.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I'm not that handy but I do have a good stock man that can do just that. I couldn't figure out how to extend the dark streaks into the extension with the new wood spacer to match but your idea will work. I have been fitted to sxs shotguns with straight grip at 15 1/8" and 14 3/8" with a pistol grip so I know I will need some type of extension.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might find that the stock works as is when wearing winter clothing, and then a quality leather slip on or lace on pad makes it perfect for hunting in hot weather...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is a artist by the name of mark Larson that does just the work you may be looking for at very reasonable cost. you might want to look at his work on the web. mark@marklarsonart.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now what do you guys think of this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=356727585 I passed on it only because of the chambering. Was that a mistake?

Absolutely lovely little rifle but I am with you on the chambering. I only own double rifles in rimmed cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Id send it to Kathy Yale in Colorado for a leather covered recoil pad, just the ticket for a fine double, or like I said a leather slip on works fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TwoZero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txlonghorn:
I'm still waiting for its arrival. It's a bit short in the LOP but seller didn't know where to measure for LOP but I still need a good inch added, suggestions? ...

A wood stock extension like this would be worth looking into:

http://www.bkwebstergunsmith.c...stock-extension.html
Although maybe without the lightening process/cuts.

At the risk of coming across as the elitist snob I really am; slip on pads look so second rate on expensive guns...

Posts: 270 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 19 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your comments. Got to handle her for a few hours between trips. She comes up nice, well balanced for being so forwardly weighted from the rifle barrels. Larry is loading up some rounds for me and they should be ready at my door by the time I'm back from Europe. One problem I noticed is that the ejector trips after being "fired" ie it continues to trip after the gun is closed then opened without me touching the trigger again. The gun is cocked and ready to be "fired". I'll send it back to butch after shooting it to see if any other issues pop up.